• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Davis Vantage Vue

SD

Administrator
Reaction score
got a vantage vue for Christmas. As far as data its pretty awesome so far....
Not happy about having to buy the data logger so I can hook it up to my computer. You would think a USB cable would be included

wait? you have to buy a data logger? like the software? or the cable?

Shawn link said:
wait? you have to buy a data logger? like the software? or the cable?

I had to buy this.....
http://www.davisnet.com/product/weatherlink-windows-serial-port/

I couldn't find any other way to connect unless I hacked the base station which I didnt want to do.

Ah yeah.  That is BS as much as they charge for those stations.  the adapter should come regardless..  because the way you had to buy it is bundled with weatherlink.  There is a free software called Cumulous that has been around for a very long time..  they probably know if they included the adapter nobody would use weatherlink.

Edt: what I just read is the adapter can store data on itself so you aren't forced to keep a pc on though.

Shawn link said:
Ah yeah.  That is BS as much as they charge for those stations.  the adapter should come regardless..  because the way you had to buy it is bundled with weatherlink.  There is a free software called Cumulous that has been around for a very long time..  they probably know if they included the adapter nobody would use weatherlink.

Edt: what I just read is the adapter can store data on itself so you aren't forced to keep a pc on though.

I do like that about the logger since I am running on an old laptop that likes to turn itself off from time to time. I do find it pretty crappy that the station isn't all inclusive but you know...gotta make that $$. I think at the end of the day though the extra money for the davis will probably be worth it instead of getting another ambient or accurite station that dies within 18 months.

Good deal.  I can't afford a nice station, so I'm stuck with a ambient temperature sensor I got for Christmas.    I was looking at a solar powered ambient station but it looks a bit shoddy for the price.  The idea is for these things to weather the elements, lol.

Shawn link said:
Good deal.  I can't afford a nice station, so I'm stuck with a ambient temperature sensor I got for Christmas.    I was looking at a solar powered ambient station but it looks a bit shoddy for the price.  The idea is for these things to weather the elements, lol.

Ha thats why I had to ask for one for Christmas I couldn't swing the davis myself. I am such a nerd the main reason I want one is to have my own data available to plug into excel and create my own monthly reports....

If you are balling on a budget but can spend $100 the acurite station really isn't that bad. I don't trust the wind speed but as far as everything else its fairly good.

damn nice !!! those 33 and rain reports will be accurate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:
damn nice !!! those 33 and rain reports will be accurate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm glad we got the eye roll installed  ::)

I am really enjoying my Acurite 5in1. I don't trust the windspeed, but that has more to do with my placement than anything else. I provide my data to CWOP and the automated comparison to nearby station data shows my sensors to be fairly accurate and consistent.

Link to comparison data below.
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E8041

I have a Davis Vantage Vue. They are nice. I have the weather Link IP Software with it. The solar battery that runs it at night has lasted 2 years so far with out replacing it.  I have had only one problem with it in 2 years, where the pressure reading were wrong. I had readings like 26.75 and so on. Lucky for me it was still under warranty and send it to them and got it back in 6 days. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. :)

The reason for the comm adapters being separate, is to allow people different options for connecting. Otherwise, you would have to hardwire the comm stuff into the station which means you'd have to have different stations.
I've had my Vue for 9 years this month and all I've had to do is replace the battery once. I'm getting ready to get a VP2+ and I think I'll send the Vue back for a refurbish and use it as a portable weather station when I travel. :)

I use VWS and Weather-Display with mine and it runs 24/7. Here's what I use for my weather computers (I have two) http://www.northgeorgiawx.com/weather-blog/weather-computers

Back