• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

5.1 Earthquake in Sparta NC

MichaelJ

Reaction score
This morning a 5.1 earthquake struck 3KM south of Sparta NC and we felt strong shocks and strong shaking for abour 20-25 seconds down into Davidson County. This is strong enough to cause damage but reports of any damage are slow to come in. USGA is warning that with a quake this size, after shocks are likely for the next several days. While I realize this is not really weather, it definitely shook me and the Mrs. up and have never experienced anything like this in my almost 50 years here.

I didn’t feel it but some people around Easley S.C. did feel it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was laying on the coach and didn't feel it; but my dogs all jumped on the coach with me at the same time. I thought it was funny at the time.

I felt it. I was lying in my bed and felt the bed shake.

My parents felt it in Acworth GA but I didn’t and I was backpacking not awful far from there.

Wilkes was almost the epicenter! Big Frosty probably had his snowballs shaken up! ?

Yes I definitely felt it. I at first thought it was my burly teenager doing calisthenics upstairs, then noted there was no way he would be awake that early!

3045505aaea5b1970fa9e02e15f37205.jpg

WYFF posted these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt it, I was asleep and it woke me up. My immediate thought was someone was driving a tank up the street. It was pretty wild, once it was over I had a feeling it must've been a quake.

That would definitely be an eye opener. 5.1 is impressive. Is their a fault that runs thru there?

I felt it and realized it wasn't an earthquake it was my wife snoring

At first I thought the washing machine was spinning out of balance. Then I realized the washing machine wasn’t running. Lol

Wilkes was almost the epicenter! Big Frosty probably had his snowballs shaken up! ?
Several families (my aunt) in Wilkes don’t think it’s so funny because their foundation shifted and can no longer enter their home. Engineers are coming to the area for homes and bridges in surrounding counties.

Wilkesboro also had a 5.1 back in 1861. Asheville area 5.2 in 1916. Seems to be a common magnitude nothing too severe like in other countries. But feel bad for those who lost their home in this and even some power outages.

I felt it here in Raleigh. It was a quick jolt that shook the house and made it creak as well. I could feel a quick shake under my feet also.

Back