• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Tropical Weather Banter & Venting Thread

Just heard word that ECMWF will soon be providing 6Z and 18Z cycles (in addition to the 0/12Z runs). This will be hourly data from 0 to 90 hours and 3-hourly data from 93 to 144 hours for 00/06/12/18Z runs. Good news to start the day!

9:00 AM - Sep 27, 2018

The above tweet was from Mike Ventrice.
Wow that’s huge news for this winter. I shall be even less productive than before!

If anyone still has doubt about how much tamer the CMC often treats high shear as far as how much it weakens TCs, just check today’s 12Z.

Ok, I just got some clarification. I think Ventrice’s tweet is either confusing or maybe even not entirely correct. The 6Z and 18Z Euro runs will stop at only hour 90.

Ok, I just got some clarification. I think Ventrice’s tweet is either confusing or maybe even not entirely correct. The 6Z and 18Z Euro runs will stop at only hour 90.
I believe what he meant, and with what Ryan Maue posted, that the Euro will now run 1 hour frames similar to the NAM 3km and HRRR, on all runs (possibly with the constraint of 90 hours before going to 3 hour frames like it is now from hours 90 to 240). The 6Z and 18Z, however, will have a max run time of 144 hours, but the same conditions as the other 2 runs.

EDIT :
It does go to 144, and the start date is known. It's October 1st.

So it will be the equivalent of the long range NAM!?? Just what we needed!:p

I just want everyone to know I've truly enjoyed this forum. With Michael's current 5day, the fact that my deceased younger brother shared the name, and we weren't on speaking terms when he passed, this storm is likely his revenge and I'm gonna drown in my car like an idiot or something. /s

Tl;dr dead bro's name is Michael. Hurricane Michael is his go-to punch to the jewels a mere 16 months after he passed.

(Side note, emotions are likely to be running thick in my family's house, so any positive vibes or prayers or whatever ya's do that ya can send their way would be greatly appreciated )

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What a dud! Another near miss on a tropical system! I’ll enjoy my 1/4” of rain and stuff 5 mph breeze from the NE!:(

Believe it or not what I’m about to say has no link to meteorology or the study thereof; Michael will have fizzled out like a fart in the wind come Wednesday..High end Cat 2 at best.

Unless this actually tracks near coastal SC, you're gonna get more than a quarter inch of rain. The precipitation shield on the north & western sides of TCs like Michael & even Matthew (2016) for example that interact with oncoming mid-latitude troughs are often more radially expansive and intense than forecast. Whoever is along and to the left of track for up to about 100-125 miles or so is going to get the bulk of the rain, orographic lift will even help areas of the western piedmont of NC and extreme upstate SC to a minor extent.

First of all you put that in the correct thread, thanks... second of all a high end cat 2 isn't fizzling out by any stretch of the imagination. Thirdly I hope your right but I have my doubts
Believe it or not what I’m about to say has no link to meteorology or the study thereof; Michael will have fizzled out like a fart in the wind come Wednesday..High end Cat 2 at best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First of all you put that in the correct thread, thanks... second of all a high end cat 2 isn't fizzling out by any stretch of the imagination. Thirdly I hope your right but I have my doubts

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks Met. I’m trying hard to keep the banter where it belongs but sometimes I just can’t help myself

Back