• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Microwave March

Ultimately, yes the sun is one of the largest contributors on our climate at nearly all temporal scales, but again, the relationships are extremely convoluted, especially in the troposphere. I'll be completely honest, the physical connections with the sun are really hard for me to wrap my head around, and the field of solar science is still in its infancy relatively speaking...

Ultimately, yes the sun is one of the largest contributors on our climate at nearly all temporal scales, but again, the relationships are extremely convoluted, especially in the troposphere. I'll be completely honest, the physical connections with the sun are really hard for me to wrap my head around, and the field of solar science is still in its infancy relatively speaking...
If you ask some people the angle past Feb 20th is too high for accumulating snow #tiredofthisdeadhorse

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If you ask some people the angle past Feb 20th is too high for accumulating snow #tiredofthisdeadhorse
I can direct you to another location where on 12/22 some folks say the sun angle is too high ... LOL ;)

Webber, there is correlation with the solar activity and the weather patterns here on Earth. My motivation of the study was to find rather ice ages occur during long duration of solar minimums. In fact they do, you know there was a mini ice age during the years 1650 and 1715 right? There was a solar minimum during those years, the minimum was called the Maunder Minimum. Yes, when I was doing my study, I did record notes in a notepad. From my study, it takes it 5-6 years for to reach the lowest solar minimum from the 11 year peak of the maximum. Then after the solar minimum, the sun starts to trend back to it's maximum and it reaches it's peak in 10-11 years. Sun spots migrate to the equator from the sun from the higher latitudes in about 11 years. As this process is occurring, the sun is going into the solar minimum as the 11 years count down. The data I observed was from a 30 year chart that showed the solar variations of minimums and maximums, that's how I came up with my answers. I believe that when there are solar maximums it warms the upper mantel of the Earth though currents known as field aligned currents and Pederson currents from sun flares that blast though space. The last lowest solar minimum was from 2009-2014, (that's one of the reason's why those winters were cold, especially winter in 2010 and 2014) but as I stated above, it starts to trend back to a maximum after the 5th-6th years from the lowest peak of minimum. I'm not making this stuff up, I really do research.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm wrong for this but I gave up trying to understand the suns equation in the weather a while back. The easy answer is yes but to what extreme will always be debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the better (IMO) solar scientist currently is Leif Svalgaard who believes the Sun has a very misunderstood and complicated relationship with our Climate. Except for extreme periods like the Dalton and Maunder minimums (which are poorly authenticated temperature wise), the Sun is relatively consistent in it's output and subsequent effects on our planet and the complexities of our stasochaotic atmospheric variables are not understood very well. Same thing can be said for Solar science as there are so many factors, known and unknown, that putting a proper quantitative analysis is difficult at best for anyone today. While much progress has been made in the fields of long range Meteorology and Climate in the past 50 years, there is probably as much we don't know as we do know. A lot of theories have been floated trying to explain periods of cold or extreme warmth (like recent history) but none can account for the differences on a consistently verifiable basis. Further record keeping and research will be helpful in this regard but I wouldn't look for a giant leap forward in long range forecasting anytime soon.

Reactions: IWC
Oh yeah, there's no doubt that it is misunderstood and complicated of correlation between the sun and our weather patterns. The only thing we can do is come up with theories, and theories is an idea that is possible but that doesn't mean that is actually happening or did occur.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Webber, there is correlation with the solar activity and the weather patterns here on Earth. My motivation of the study was to find rather ice ages occur during long duration of solar minimums. In fact they do, you know there was a mini ice age during the years 1650 and 1715 right? There was a solar minimum during those years, the minimum was called the Maunder Minimum. Yes, when I was doing my study, I did record notes in a notepad. From my study, it takes it 5-6 years for to reach the lowest solar minimum from the 11 year peak of the maximum. Then after the solar minimum, the sun starts to trend back to it's maximum and it reaches it's peak in 10-11 years. Sun spots migrate to the equator from the sun from the higher latitudes in about 11 years. As this process is occurring, the sun is going into the solar minimum as the 11 years count down. The data I observed was from a 30 year chart that showed the solar variations of minimums and maximums, that's how I came up with my answers. I believe that when there are solar maximums it warms the upper mantel of the Earth though currents known as field aligned currents and Pederson currents from sun flares that blast though space. The last lowest solar minimum was from 2009-2014, (that's one of the reason's why those winters were cold, especially winter in 2010 and 2014) but as I stated above, it starts to trend back to a maximum after the 5th-6th years from the lowest peak of minimum. I'm not making this stuff up, I really do research.

There's a relationship, but you really didn't find anything convincing...

"Sun spots migrate to the equator from the sun from the higher latitudes in about 11 years. As this process is occurring, the sun is going into the solar minimum as the 11 years count down. The data I observed was from a 30 year chart that showed the solar variations of minimums and maximums, that's how I came up with my answers."
First of all, Don, most scientists are already well aware of the 11-year Hale Cycle, you're not doing any ground breaking work there.

"you know there was a mini ice age during the years 1650 and 1715 right? There was a solar minimum during those years, the minimum was called the Maunder Minimum."

So you only chose one event (the little ice age) to establish this relationship? Yea, that's not going to cut it... You need more samples (at least 30-40 +) to begin to acquire statistical significance.

"Yes, when I was doing my study, I did record notes in a notepad."

Again, there's nothing terribly amazing about this either, literally anybody can take notes in a notebook... That doesn't qualify as a rigorous analysis, at least the kind that I would expect given the kind of data you're working with...

"I believe that when there are solar maximums it warms the upper mantel of the Earth though currents known as field aligned currents and Pederson currents from sun flares that blast though space."
I honestly don't understand what you're talking about here... Aside from the egregious spelling errors, if you're actually going to come up w/ a legitimate theory and not get laughed at by the rest of the scientific community, "I believe ____" doesn't cut it wrt establishing physical mechanisms. You actually need to perform a multitude of studies, analysis, and they have to be verifiable and reproducible...

Again, you didn't real come up with a "theory", at best this is a poorly misconstrued hypothesis...
Scientific Theory- "... a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment"

I'll ask again what dataset did you use, what papers did you reference, what were their conclusions, etc. because I don't see any of those in your response.

Not trying to be rude, and there are some smart ppl on here, but me for one, will not argue about weather sun angle, any other aspect of weather with someone like Webber. He's far more, way more knowledgeable and knows his stuff to be arguing with. I learn alot off his teaching and Larry's also.

Anyone notice that the intensity of the cold on the 12Z consensus as well as the 18Z GFS was reduced? I fear that this is a sign that when all is said and done that the ongoing strong cold model bias means that early March won't be all that cold after all in the SE. I hope not but am worried.

Anyone notice that the intensity of the cold on the 12Z consensus as well as the 18Z GFS was reduced? I fear that this is a sign that when all is said and done that the ongoing strong cold model bias means that early March won't be all that cold after all in the SE. I hope not but am worried.
Welcome aboard - but you are more vocal than I :(

I've always read about how both the Dalton and Maunder mins correlated to a colder global climate. I have never researched those periods extensively enough to construct a scientific paper. But if what I've read is indeed true, then any sort of upcoming solar period that is similar to those would compel me to think we should expect a cooler regime during those events...even with such a small historical sample size from which to draw an adequate comparison.

Reactions: SD
Back