• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Microwave March

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

Despite the fact it's supposed to be 86º at least two days down here next week and not backing off much afterwards, region-wide and for y'all a bit north - perhaps there is some "hope" on the horizon for a spring (not seeing any return to winter (yet) - but just not going into May and skipping March and April yet would be nice for y'all) - so here's something to hang some hope on -

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

814temp_new.gif

I'm on board of the cold blast coming down, but not on board of a weather system coming along during the colder blast.

Don't want to get anyone busted for gambling on the internet, across state lines - but $$'s to ¢¢'s on this?

gfs_T2m_us_45.png

gfs_T2m_us_47.png

LOL with fireworks in the background - drumroll, please .....

Sounds like a broken record I know but this has disaster from an agricultural standpoint written all over it
Definitely. I bet 100% we will have a freeze in March that will cause crop damage, be it 31 degrees or 22 degrees, it's going to happen. I am sure of it. The models have hinted at it, and all agree that we will be below normal, which opens the door to freezes.

Sounds like a broken record I know but this has disaster from an agricultural standpoint written all over it
My grad school roommate was from Enterprise AL, and his grandma used to chastise us - never plant your garden until after Good Friday ... there's wisdom from growing up in the woods (present company excluded) .... ;)

Definitely. I bet 100% we will have a freeze in March that will cause crop damage, be it 31 degrees or 22 degrees, it's going to happen. I am sure of it. The models have hinted at it, and all agree that we will be below normal, which opens the door to freezes.
Well, actually , there is a huge difference between 31 and 22 degrees, when it comes to crop damage! 31 will cause some cosmetic damage to flowers and leaves that may have emerged, but the serious damage to crops/buds begins at 28 degrees and for atleast 4 hours at that temp, to be considered a " damaging freeze " in the agricultural world! If you want your petunias, and marigolds and other summer annuals or veggies to die, 31 will do the trick! And why on gods green earth, are tomato plants fire sale now in SC????? I guess they want you to buy them twice!? :(

Well, actually , there is a huge difference between 31 and 22 degrees, when it comes to crop damage! 31 will cause some cosmetic damage to flowers and leaves that may have emerged, but the serious damage to crops/buds begins at 28 degrees and for atleast 4 hours at that temp, to be considered a " damaging freeze " in the agricultural world! If you want your petunias, and marigolds and other summer annuals or veggies to die, 31 will do the trick! And why on gods green earth, are tomato plants fire sale now in SC????? I guess they want you to buy them twice!? :(

79e6718b389f46f5d33a2672338b6c16.png

Can't wait to start growing season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My grad school roommate was from Enterprise AL, and his grandma used to chastise us - never plant your garden until after Good Friday ... there's wisdom from growing up in the woods (present company excluded) .... ;)
PS -

My nearest neighbor lived 3/4 of a mile away growing up - boy did I learn stuff just making it through the woods and doing ....

Two interesting posts I ran across today - the 2nd is a gif which I can't figure out how to import - but the source is there if you're interested --

Screen_Shot_2017_02_24_at_4_26_16_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_02_24_at_4_27_56_PM.png

Yep a ton of trees and flowers have started blooming up here which I have never seen before mid to late march in my 10 years of living here. Unfortunately I've been saying that a lot this winter. But more unfortunate is that my temps on Saturday night are forecaste to drop below freezing for well over 6 ours and probably around 8. It looks like a low of 28-29 so I'm not sure how much damage that will do.

Prelim 18Z GFS maps (through day 7) suggest that the late 6-10 as well as into the 11-15 day period will probably come in colder and quite cold for much of the E US, possibly including the SE. Warning: watch at your own risk but by all means enjoy!

What a change between two runs on the GFS, well sheesh... Don't know what it's going to lead to but it's interesting to see.

What a change between two runs on the GFS, well sheesh... Don't know what it's going to lead to but it's interesting to see.

Hard freeze upper SE and highs not getting out of 30's 3/6 if take 18Z GFS literally!

Back