• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

Proof? Although I do sense some scarcasm

It's definitely going to warm up there's no doubt about that or sarcasm, big trough going into the west coast w/ a ridge over the eastern US, classic late winter NINA pattern. Not sure when or if we'll break it but not looking too good thru most of the rest of January after the next week or so which could yield another threat of snow/ice for the mid-south

Cmc with a big Texas and Louisiana snow next Monday/ Tuesday similar to the Euro

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
fed2f29f5f6c59c5057d4b19af40987f.jpg

This sounds good in theory, but winter 2009-10 also featured a strongly negative NAO for DJF, and as you know was the sixth coldest winter on record at RDU. I'm not saying your ideas are wrong, but I'm not sure that is the entire answer either. It still appears that through that period the NAO was able to sustain a negative state and that all went away after January 2011 in the winter. We've seen the QBO flip the NAO to negative in July of 2015 and a few other sporadic episodes, but not in the wintertime other than once, March 2013.
I never said nor implied it was the entire answer but it's a very substantial piece, the NAO stint in 2009-10 was aided by the combination of a NINO which amplifies the standing planetary wave train, EQBO that deters Rossby wave momentum deposition from crossing the equator into the other hemisphere and favors wave activity flux onto the winter Hemisphere, & also aids w/ instigating intraseasonal tropical convection which can trigger SSWEs thru Rossby Wave Trains, low solar activity and favorable preceding interannual ENSO variability (more La Ninas before the 2009-10 El Niño) which favors the build up of ozone in the global tropics and subtropics that can be then opportunistically transported poleward to trigger sudden warming events and prolonged tropospheric blocking regimes if accompanied by an El Niño that accelerates the Brewer Dobson Circulation. Not to mention a properly timed and placed wave train never hurts... Again, other than a few stints like 2009-10, 2010-11, & March 2013 the overwhelming majority of winters since the mid-late 1970s have featured positive or strongly positive NAOs and their frequency has generally increased with time, with this year poised to continue the long-term trend. A few or several big NAO winters for that matter don't negate the signal or somehow imply that the climate-NAO connection is crap and should be re-evaluated. Similarly, a few cold months or winters and/or large winter storms in a period dominated by warming and less frequent snowfall also doesn't suddenly mean we aren't warming anymore, but rather the cumulative probability of attaining the "preferred" proportion of above to below normal winters is lower the less time you integrate the distribution. The frequency distribution with the integration of more winters will asymptotically tend towards the actual, preferred climate state but this also doesn't mean that a 30-40 year period is fully representative of the full spectrum of climate variability in a particular background. However, a collection of neighboring stations with longer records is likely a better answer and/or NWP simulations which are capable of reproducing a large collection of winters tens of thousands of times over in a given climate and capture variation that's not explicitly shown in observations esspecially in a short period of record (30-40 years).

1f57bb925cb43246b846e42d68127572.jpg

This is our best chance for a board wide storm affecting the most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, didn't expect to see that this morning. Guess we have something to track again. Not sure if there's anything scientific about it, but it does seem when it hits near 70 around here in winter about a week later we get a shot at snow. Maybe the rubber band snapping back.

GFS has this storm Tues/Wed next week , a Brownsville TX special

Wow, didn't expect to see that this morning. Guess we have something to track again. Not sure if there's anything scientific about it, but it does seem when it hits near 70 around here in winter about a week later we get a shot at snow. Maybe the rubber band snapping back.
Snapping back just in time to give you another 1/2 inch!

No one has implied that the climate-NAO connection is crap. However, I am outright stating that I do believe that the sudden shift from relatively frequent stints of negative NAOs during winter months up until 2011 to shutting it off entirely is driven by something additional. I am fully aware that the NAO has been trending more positive since the 70s, after all I made this graph about 8 years ago.

NAO_Seasonal.png
The negative regimes really weren't all that frequent before 2011 either, the NAO was even more positive in the 1990s than it is now so the mechanism that's favoring these regimes has been around for a while and not just since 2011 as you're trying to suggest. We've seen a complete reversal of the AMO over the course of the last several decades yet the NAO continues to trend positive in the longer term consistent with the increasingly unfavorable bgd climate

1f57bb925cb43246b846e42d68127572.jpg

This is our best chance for a board wide storm affecting the most people.

06z GFS squashes it to oblivion with this look, not that I buy it, but it then develops a late blooming coastal that throws moisture back into NE NC for a brief light albeit high ratio snow with an inch or two.
fff71cb4696204675631c4dc9ee80e06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

06z GFS squashes it to oblivion with this look, not that I buy it, but it then develops a late blooming coastal that throws moisture back into NE NC for a brief light albeit high ratio snow with an inch or two.
fff71cb4696204675631c4dc9ee80e06.jpg

NW trend? :D

Euro is close to being on board also on next Tuesday/Wednesday..
0577153dbbb22fffa8487a9c8c5dad90.jpg

Other than the system for western sections of our region, no other game in town, this may be our best shot.... will need some things to come together perfectly to thread the needle but not out of the question. Just enough NS for cold but not too much to crush any s/w...who knows but at least it's something.

I'm not suggesting it, the data clearly shows it. There were numerous neg. NAO winter months between 1996 and 2011, I count approximately 24. Since January 2011 there has been 2.
Actually January-March 2013, January 2014, & January 2016 all featured a negative NAO which is at least 5 months in that period. Of course you purposely left out the early-mid 1990s that I was referring to earlier wherein the winter mean NAO was clearly even more positive which skews the data to show more frequent -NAOs in the preceding period before 2011 and makes it look like there's something dramatically different in its overall behavior between 2011-12 to present and 1990-2011, which there's not...

Cmc again has snow for many in the western part of the southeast next Tuesday and Wednesday

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Back