• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 6th-7th Potential Storm

Decided to pull the trigger and make the thread, mods feel free to lock it if you feel like it's too soon.
Perfect! The family is ready for a 6 hour trip to Banner Elk, just need the NC experts to chime in on whether that's a good choice or not.

How much does what happens tonight affect Saturday and what happens Saturday affect Tuesday? Especially in the borderline areas and Charlotte, Atlanta metros.

EURO is hell bent on an Apps cutter still before transferring to the Peedee region of SC.
Not sure I'd call it an Apps cutter, gets shunted east pretty quick and may not be done adjusting. When it comes to CAD, as bad as the NAM can certainly be, it along with other hi-res models will have a much better handle on boundary layer temps/icing potential. Never under estimate the power of CAD

How much does what happens tonight affect Saturday and what happens Saturday affect Tuesday? Especially in the borderline areas and Charlotte, Atlanta metros.
Ok first to qualify" I am not a Met, but have some 50 years of tracking weather here in Metro ATL. The system today/tonight will have minimal impact on the system for the 6th -7th. What that will be "riding on" That will be determined by the depth/strength of the CAD/Wedge for this area. A variation of just a 100 or so miles in the placement of the Mid Atlantic High (or it being stronger than progged) or a northward shift in the track of the Low by a little as 50 miles can change mid 30s and rain to 30 and ZR. This will not be a 'ground type" ZR event as ground temps will remain above freezing. It could be a significant "tree/power line" ZR Event as I have seen in the past (Jan 1973)
Next weeks system as of now has a greater threat of severe vs winter issues due to strength of the Low and the much higher dynamics in place. That will depend on the degree of WAA and related CAPE.

Not sure I'd call it an Apps cutter, gets shunted east pretty quick and may not be done adjusting. When it comes to CAD, as bad as the NAM can certainly be, it along with other hi-res models will have a much better handle on boundary layer temps/icing potential. Never under estimate the power of CAD
Oh I definitely don't think it's right. I doubt the LP makes above Macon, Georgia at best before it rides around the CAD dome. Problem is you can't trust the surface depiction because it allows warm surface level temps to be further north than reality.

Back