• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 14-16th storm potential.

This could be a decent sledding type event for north Al. Not a ton of snow, but enough sleet freeze rain to get some good sledding in. All I know is. School will canceled for the cold next week at some point. Wish I went to school these days ?

The Chatt area deserves some luck. In the past I remember these setups where the cold never got over monteagle mountain until the moisture was all but gone. Euro kind of depicts this and the WAA.

Last edited:
The euro isn't as good as it once was! That is a fact. Back years ago, if you saw a system on the euro 5-7 days, almost guaranteed that was final solution, providing a few mile shifts. All other models trend towards it lol. 0z will be interesting

The euro isn't as good as it once was! That is a fact. Back years ago, if you saw a system on the euro 5-7 days, almost guaranteed that was final solution, providing a few mile shifts. All other models trend towards it lol. 0z will be interesting
Yes, but if the Euro showed 30 inches for your backyard, you would love it.

Thumb through the Model Archive pages and see how many snowstorms from the EURO model output are in there versus the other models, mainly the GFS. :)

Don’t know why a lot of the western folks freaking out. You don’t want to powerful of a storm because, your end up with another cutter like what is going happen Friday. This is a nice 1-3 or 2-4 inch type of storm for many. With maybe a few people in a jackpot area getting 6 inches.

Thanks for this detail! Seems like the majors are not aligned at all.
One thing that is a sure bet, Mississippi is going to get cold, really cold.

But to add some detail, here are the 5-day 500 mb vorticity products from the ICON, GFS, JMA, CMC, and EURO:

icon_z500_vort_us_41.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

jma_z500_vort_us_6.png

gem_z500_vort_us_22.png

ecmwf_z500_vort_us_43.png

One thing that is a sure bet, Mississippi is going to get cold, really cold.

But to add some detail, here are the 5-day 500 mb vorticity products from the ICON, GFS, JMA, CMC, and EURO:

icon_z500_vort_us_41.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

jma_z500_vort_us_6.png

gem_z500_vort_us_22.png

ecmwf_z500_vort_us_43.png
Really great stuff! Thanks for posting for us folks back West. Any opinion on which you think may eventually verify?

Really great stuff! Thanks for posting for us folks back West. Any opinion on which you think may eventually verify?
I'd normally say the EMCF like most would. But, I'll go a little rogue and side with the ICON only because I like its potential for mischief beyond day five that closed ULL over the Great Lakes and the next vort max entering the Pacific NW poised to drop down the front range it seems.

This could be a decent sledding type event for north Al. Not a ton of snow, but enough sleet freeze rain to get some good sledding in. All I know is. School will canceled for the cold next week at some point. Wish I went to school these days ?
Yep, if you want good street sledding, you need sleet, and zr mixed in, then snow on top is ok, lol. But for the road hills you need sleet.

Back