• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty clear to me something globally is going on as ice levels in the Arctic, Antarctic and Greenland have seen nice gains this year. In fact the Antarctic is right at the 1981-2010 average, Greenland is near record levels for the 1981-2010 years and the Arctic is just a smidge behind 2014 and well ahead of other years. I thought all the ice and snow would be gone by now, you know, that’s what the “experts” and climate models said would happen :weenie:
View attachment 5443 View attachment 5444 View attachment 5445

The uptick in Greenland snow/ice is attributable to the strong vortex that's persisted over the Arctic and this area for the last several months, the strong winter +NAO is a hallmark of a warm climate because the expanded HCs push the storm track and wave activity fluxes further north & also favor the E Hem monsoon which thwarts El Nino events (NINA forcing favors +NAOs) (see medieval warming period). The stormier/cloudier conditions underneath this +NAO have allowed for less shortwave radiation to reach the surface. The long-term trend however is still clearly downward and doesn't show any signs of a significant reversal or appreciable deceleration over the arctic as a whole in spite of the best wishes of many who have been expecting a sudden reversal for the last decade or so (see JB's predictions when he was at accuweather nearly a decade ago, many skeptics shared his line of rationale (including myself at one point)) which has not come to pass.

Last edited:
The uptick in Greenland snow/ice is attributable to the strong vortex that's persisted over the Arctic and this area for the last several months, the strong winter +NAO is a hallmark of a warm climate because the expanded HCs push the storm track and wave activity fluxes further north & also favor the E Hem monsoon which thwarts El Nino events (NINA forcing favors +NAOs) (see medieval warming period). The stormier/cloudier conditions underneath this +NAO have allowed for less shortwave radiation to reach the surface. The long-term trend however is still clearly downward and doesn't show any signs of a significant reversal or appreciable deceleration over the arctic as a whole in spite of the best wishes of many who have been expecting a sudden reversal for the last decade or so (see JB's predictions when he was at accuweather nearly a decade ago, many skeptics shared his line of rationale) which has not come to pass.

Yeap we are actually terraforming our own planet to make it less habitable and folks are just in denial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeap we are actually terraforming our own planet to make it less habitable and folks are just in denial.

Give it a break dude. You are starting to sound like Al Gore. Some of us are glad to see any signs of retaining the sea ice. Webb, would you explain your thoughts behind the Antarctic uptick.

Give it a break dude. You are starting to sound like Al Gore. Some of us are glad to see any signs of retaining the sea ice. Webb, would you explain your thoughts behind the Antarctic uptick.
Webb already did in the post above. And I agree, the world isn't ending in 50 years because of what has been ongoing. Yes, the sea is very slowly rising, yes, there has been a general warming, but it's not like there will be 0 ice on out planet anytime soon. Each year the ice isn't dropping lower than the previous several adds more time to the arctic I'm sure too. Only time will tell if we have slowed down or not.

The uptick in Greenland snow/ice is attributable to the strong vortex that's persisted over the Arctic and this area for the last several months, the strong winter +NAO is a hallmark of a warm climate because the expanded HCs push the storm track and wave activity fluxes further north & also favor the E Hem monsoon which thwarts El Nino events (NINA forcing favors +NAOs) (see medieval warming period). The stormier/cloudier conditions underneath this +NAO have allowed for less shortwave radiation to reach the surface. The long-term trend however is still clearly downward and doesn't show any signs of a significant reversal or appreciable deceleration over the arctic as a whole in spite of the best wishes of many who have been expecting a sudden reversal for the last decade or so (see JB's predictions when he was at accuweather nearly a decade ago, many skeptics shared his line of rationale (including myself at one point)) which has not come to pass.

It’s not just Greenland though, the Arctic is neck and neck with 2014 and the Antarctic is close to normal. The past 10 years have seen a stabilization if not slight gain in the Arctic ice levels. Prior to that, yes the trend was down but there are signs that indicate things are stabilizing for now. It could be temporary or we could be seeing a shift in how the various factors set up, only time will tell.

There are other unusual things going on as well. The MDR cooling this year has been one of the strangest I’ve ever seen since following the weather. There are new areas of research that open up a better understanding of the complex factors that affect our climate not to mention the short timescale of reliable global satellite data and temperatures we have to go off of. Solar influences, ocean currents, the effects of increasing freshwater as ice melts, atmospheric forces in play, etc are just a few complexities that work to warm or cool our climate. I don’t think any Arctic reversals will be sudden but gradual instead. IF the current global ice recovery continues for several years then there will need to be research into the factors contributing to such a shift.

any link to a scientific study supporting this? Not trying to be an ass, but willing to learn... "The past 10 years have seen a stabilization if not slight gain in the Arctic ice levels."

All I see is a bunch of wishful thinking and grasping at straws. It’s human nature to look for a silver lining. There would have to be rapid and massive changes in our civilization for us to fix this mess. Just grab the popcorn and watch the carnage unfold. See what happens to the economic system as trillions of dollars of coastal property becomes worthless from sea level rise.

All I see is a bunch of wishful thinking and grasping at straws. It’s human nature to look for a silver lining. There would have to be rapid and massive changes in our civilization for us to fix this mess. Just grab the popcorn and watch the carnage unfold. See what happens to the economic system as trillions of dollars of coastal property becomes worthless from sea level rise.

At the rate its rising, it will be the early 2100s before it rises close to a foot at the incredibly slow rate of 0.1" a year. And what's not to say we can't find a solution before then? I'm sure the "carnage" that will occur between now and then along coastlines will be from hurricanes and tsunamis mainly due to their higher frequency. If you want a dramatic change you'll have to make China disappear first or have them wipe their CO2 emissions down even further as they produce the most a year not to mention they pollute their environment horribly.

any link to a scientific study supporting this? Not trying to be an ass, but willing to learn... "The past 10 years have seen a stabilization if not slight gain in the Arctic ice levels."

Look at the chart below, since 2010/11 there has been an overall stabilization in the ice levels. It remains to be seen if this is a short term blip or start of a new trend but it's worth looking at and asking questions to further investigate and promote study.
Arctic Sea Ice.jpg

Look at the Antarctic vs the pace we are at so far in 2018. Not only are we pretty close to the 1979-1990 average but notice how the average from 2001-2010 is actually higher than the 1979-1990 average by a small margin. A NASA article addressed some of the challenges with explaining this and did also conclude that there has been an overall positive increase in the Antarctic ice levels. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...ns-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

Antarctic.JPG

No, science seeks to ask better questions and evaluate all possible options that may or may not explain the changes we see going on. Science is always uncovering new data and there are plenty of factors that we likely do not understand at all or have a poor grasp on due to the limited amount of time that we have been able to measure changes with satellites and other modern technologies. There always have been and will be economic disasters like hurricanes, the Dust Bowl, floods, etc it's just a part of life and dealing with what happens in nature.

Another interesting note, if indeed the oceans were to warm up significantly over time this would likely decrease tropical activity (in the Atlantic) since El Nino would be more common and it typically brings high shear values that are detrimental to TC development and growth, no matter how warm the waters are.

No, science seeks to ask better questions and evaluate all possible options that may or may not explain the changes we see going on. Science is always uncovering new data and there are plenty of factors that we likely do not understand at all or have a poor grasp on due to the limited amount of time that we have been able to measure changes with satellites and other modern technologies. There always have been and will be economic disasters like hurricanes, the Dust Bowl, floods, etc it's just a part of life and dealing with what happens in nature.

Another interesting note, if indeed the oceans were to warm up significantly over time this would likely decrease tropical activity (in the Atlantic) since El Nino would be more common and it typically brings high shear values that are detrimental to TC development and growth, no matter how warm the waters are.

It’s pretty stupid to run an experiment on our own planet when we don’t even know the outcome when we have a very good understanding of the climate with a CO2 level around 270 for hundreds of thousands of years.

Very alarming

8c529e12d47e7e77e8d6db22d8d2cf2d.png

It’s pretty stupid to run an experiment on our own planet when we don’t even know the outcome when we have a very good understanding of the climate with a CO2 level around 270 for hundreds of thousands of years.

I'm not sure what you mean by running an experiment on our planet. Scientists run tons of them all the time and do studies and evaluations to figure out what's going on all the time. The way you're talking sounds like the only experiments that are being considered are massive movie like ones that in reality aren't realistic. We aren't going to just start bombing the atmosphere with things in the name of science. That's fiction. As far as understanding on CO2, we may or may not know as much as we will 30 years in the future. Technology that allows us to observe and study the environment and climate change changes all the time. Saying we are all doomed is like when people believed the Earth was flat and you would sail off the edge.
Very alarming

8c529e12d47e7e77e8d6db22d8d2cf2d.png

This goes with what I was saying about China and their pollution. The country relies so much on their industry and doesn't seem to have any commitment to changing their pollution issues.

I'm not saying that where all doomed. I'm saying that it's just gonna get very difficult in the years and decades ahead as the effects continue to ramp up stressing governments and economies.

Why do you suppose the Antarctic ice has been gaining mass and long term averages creeping up at the same time the Arctic has been averaging down? If man-made global warming was truly the cause, wouldn’t you expect both the Arctic and Antarctic to decline at the same time rather than with the current inverse relationship?

I think the rhetoric is way overdone. Natural disasters have and always will happen. The dust bowl for example happened well before any global warming. Floods have ravaged our country and places all over the world throughout history. Hurricanes were destructive 100 years ago just like they are today. Much climate change rhetoric is exaggerated and meant to target human emotions like fear and promote a sense of panic.

The article you shared a few days ago indicated temperatures in the mid-Pliocene periods were as much as 19C higher than today and CO2 levels were similar yet somehow humans and animals managed to survive all that and ice levels recovered. Something else to think about, extreme cold can be just as if not more damaging to world economies than warmth. A colder climate shortens growing seasons, can kill crops in areas that normally stay warmer, etc. The Little Ice Age was particularly destructive due to the impact it had on economies and food at the time, wiping out crops and causing great suffering and hardship. People starved, shipping lanes were closed, glaciers destroyed farms and towns, and many other destructive outcomes were seen due to the level of cold experienced in several regions.

I say all this to say our atmosphere is not static; it operates on cycles lasting decades, centuries and even thousands of years warming and cooling. More than CO2 emissions, I believe a greater danger is the deforestation that goes on worldwide. Reduce the rainforests and amount of trees/plant life and there is much less to absorb the carbon dioxide.

Look at the chart below, since 2010/11 there has been an overall stabilization in the ice levels. It remains to be seen if this is a short term blip or start of a new trend but it's worth looking at and asking questions to further investigate and promote study.
View attachment 5498

Look at the Antarctic vs the pace we are at so far in 2018. Not only are we pretty close to the 1979-1990 average but notice how the average from 2001-2010 is actually higher than the 1979-1990 average by a small margin. A NASA article addressed some of the challenges with explaining this and did also conclude that there has been an overall positive increase in the Antarctic ice levels. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...ns-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

View attachment 5499

Yawn, the long term trend is still downward and significantly at that, just like how many were fooled into thinking the global warming pause after 1997-98 was somehow legitimate, the climate system established yet a new warmer equilibrium. Very warm arctic winters and mild summers still result in a net decrease in sea ice.

Why do you suppose the Antarctic ice has been gaining mass and long term averages creeping up at the same time the Arctic has been averaging down? If man-made global warming was truly the cause, wouldn’t you expect both the Arctic and Antarctic to decline at the same time rather than with the current inverse relationship?

I think the rhetoric is way overdone. Natural disasters have and always will happen. The dust bowl for example happened well before any global warming. Floods have ravaged our country and places all over the world throughout history. Hurricanes were destructive 100 years ago just like they are today. Much climate change rhetoric is exaggerated and meant to target human emotions like fear and promote a sense of panic.

The article you shared a few days ago indicated temperatures in the mid-Pliocene periods were as much as 19C higher than today and CO2 levels were similar yet somehow humans and animals managed to survive all that and ice levels recovered. Something else to think about, extreme cold can be just as if not more damaging to world economies than warmth. A colder climate shortens growing seasons, can kill crops in areas that normally stay warmer, etc. The Little Ice Age was particularly destructive due to the impact it had on economies and food at the time, wiping out crops and causing great suffering and hardship. People starved, shipping lanes were closed, glaciers destroyed farms and towns, and many other destructive outcomes were seen due to the level of cold experienced in several regions.

I say all this to say our atmosphere is not static; it operates on cycles lasting decades, centuries and even thousands of years warming and cooling. More than CO2 emissions, I believe a greater danger is the deforestation that goes on worldwide. Reduce the rainforests and amount of trees/plant life and there is much less to absorb the carbon dioxide.

It’s actually been well established that the Antarctic increase in sea ice is related to the stronger Antarctic vortex that was in fact spurred mainly by man’s release of CFCs which destroyed copious amounts of ozone, cooling the stratosphere and the circulation anomalies propagated down into the troposphere year after year, Antarctic sea ice really hasn’t changed that much overall and the relatively weaker decrease compared to the arctic is both a function of the vortex’s isolation from extratropical wave breaking and CFCs, it will take several decades or more for this to recover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back