• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern ENSO Updates

The GFS is also now picking up on the easterly trade wind burst near the dateline next week, check out the retrogression of the negative zonal wind anomalies over the equatorial Pacific (indicative of westward propagating Equatorial Rossby Waves)

u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

But we at lest have JB to pull us through......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, from a nonphysical standpoint I feel better about my odds of an El Nino not verifying considering that's what Joe Bastardi is forecasting because almost all the time, he's dead wrong, so as long as you forecast the opposite you're okay lol... Rip our winter.

Honestly, from a nonphysical standpoint I feel better about my odds of an El Nino not verifying considering that's what Joe Bastardi is forecasting because almost all the time, he's dead wrong, so as long as you forecast the opposite you're okay lol... Rip our winter.

LMBO! Nice...

Look at the SOI
318c6fa68f411a8c8daa08745238a2cb.png

Though there have been two days of -SOI and though we may get another today, the SOI is headed for a resumption of positives shortly due to solidly above average Tahihiti SLPs being forecasted for several days. Then perhaps it will swing back toward neutral
to perhaps modest negatives as Tahiti falls back some followed by still another period of +SOIs due to high Tahiti SLPs. Bottom line: the chances of a solid -SOI July overall continue to drop and are now quite low. July MTD currently is averaging neutral but may very well end up rising to modest +SOI levels MTD as we get to near 7/22.

Though there have been two days of -SOI and though we may get another today, the SOI is headed for a resumption of positives shortly due to solidly above average Tahihiti SLPs being forecasted for several days. Then perhaps it will swing back toward neutral
to perhaps modest negatives as Tahiti falls back some followed by still another period of +SOIs due to high Tahiti SLPs. Bottom line: the chances of a solid -SOI July overall continue to drop and are now quite low. July MTD currently is averaging neutral but may very well end up rising to modest +SOI levels MTD as we get to near 7/22.

Yep. I'm not holding on to any hope of an El Niño developing this winter.

Yep. I'm not holding on to any hope of an El Niño developing this winter.

IMO it's still really early. I'm leaning more neutral at this point . But , there is still time ................for things to get worse

^ Well, the good news for those wanting El Nino is that Nino 3.4 SSTs remain in weak Nino territory. In fact, even if they didn't warm any more (chances of that low imo), they could remain about where they are for the rest of the year and we still eek out a weak El Nino.

^ Well, the good news for those wanting El Nino is that Nino 3.4 SSTs remain in weak Nino territory. In fact, even if they didn't warm any more (chances of that low imo), they could remain about where they are for the rest of the year and we still eek out a weak El Nino.

Buttt if the trades continue to behave as they have been for the past 2-3 months, an El Nino will not develop because there wouldnt be much in the way of robust downwelling kelvin waves to reinforce those SSTAs

Fun times with all these ifs and butts and the reality is no one truly knows what will happen this winter.

For anyone to say they know is just crazy talk.

i dont care if its weak el nino, neutral, they both have the southeast in pretty good shape to get a winter storm. At least its not stepping into la Nina.

i dont care if its weak el nino, neutral, they both have the southeast in pretty good shape to get a winter storm. At least its not stepping into la Nina.
I think what screwed us last winter was the positive QBO, we're entering a negative QBO this upcoming winter so we should be in a better shape.

Back