• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December 2023

Not sure that sfc-925 will play along but if we can get enough LL cold to hop the mountains there's a shot
If it had dug another 75 miles, we would've had something this run, imo. It's enough to keep me watching. Only thing i'm concerned about is drying up before the cold makes it.

Reactions: SD
Textbook for the MA folks…ala 2010

View attachment 138250
Leaning that way for sure.
gfs_asnow_neus_65.png

Reactions: WSW
Week 2 of December looks warm, but worth noting, the pattern that showing up is a SPV destroying pattern, notably the +SCAND, prior to this there’s a ton of Bering sea troughing. Normally our SPV destroying patterns, are warm patterns for the SE US. End of December/early jan is lining up imo for some fun 7DC664B3-5EE5-4C40-87A9-ED05C7116FE0.png

Week 2 of December looks warm, but worth noting, the pattern that showing up is a SPV destroying pattern, notably the +SCAND, prior to this there’s a ton of Bering sea troughing. Normally our SPV destroying patterns, are warm patterns for the SE US. End of December/early jan is lining up imo for some fun View attachment 138255
we got "this time period a month from now looks really great" posts folks we are BACK

we got "this time period a month from now looks really great" posts folks we are BACK
West pacific forcing arriving later half of December (8/1) and persistent +SCAND signal (-NAO precursor if it returns back to +, which I doubt given the state of the SPV in the next couple of weeks) with a weaker then normal vortex, hard to not get interested in that time period. Can already see signs in the pacific at day 7 with the poleward shift/cutoff block that develops near the Arctic

On high alert trust me
1701384622635.png
NW flow is always undermodeled on medium range models like the GFS. My professor has said time and time again the banding is always farther east then what they say depict. This is easily 1-3 accums (with luck in the banding department) in Blacksburg with this look.

West pacific forcing arriving later half of December (8/1) and persistent +SCAND signal (-NAO precursor if it returns back to +, which I doubt given the state of the SPV in the next couple of weeks) with a weaker then normal vortex, hard to not get interested in that time period. Can already see signs in the pacific at day 7 with the poleward shift/cutoff block that develops near the Arctic
I just looked at the MJO progression and I think you’re right. It looks like we’re going to be going into strengthening -NAO/-AO/+PNA combo at the same time that the MJO is head into phase 8/1 approaching prime climatology. That would probably the best look at that time of the year since 2010/2011 and we all know what happened between 12/25-1/12 that year.

View attachment 138256
NW flow is always undermodeled on medium range models like the GFS. My professor has said time and time again the banding is always farther east then what they say depict. This is easily 1-3 accums (with luck in the banding department) in Blacksburg with this look.
This NWF thing is still a foreign concept to me. Being from the SC midlands, NWF = no precipitation, no clouds and relatively mild temperatures.

Back