• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Bickering about population growth

despite what many ppl think there is a lack of ppl to sustain the current course of the world. this system has been built on exponential growth
anyways time will tell

edit I dont like ppl

The more I dig into Lake Norman, the more I become appalled at just how much of a McMansion 20-lane highway Pavement Princess RAMs Target Walmart Whole Foods Parking Lot dump it is. Twerk Island? Bro Lake Norman. @WolfpackHomer91 you been out to Twerk Island bro?

This comment sums Lake Norman up nicely from the reddit : "Rich, boot licking New Jersey transplants with Trump flags on their boats that are getting tired of pretending to like their poorer, Trump supporting native neighbors."

despite what many ppl think there is a lack of ppl to sustain the current course of the world. this system has been built on exponential growth
anyways time will tell

edit I dont like ppl
This may, in part, explain why AI is such a priority. There are some tasks that will need to be maintained to keep humanity viable as we adjust to fewer people. You have fewer inventions, fewer problem solvers and geniuses, fewer everything you need to keep the lights on. AI could step in to replace the "missing" people...though I don't think it's going to work. I mean, you can see how X (formerly Twitter) used AI bots to boost followers and the results of that were not inconsequential.

The thing that gets me about Mooresville(Lake Norman in general) is that between Highway 73 and Interstate 40, there is exactly one(1) way to cross the lake. The problem is so many folks have so many lakefront mansions and own land that they'll never be able to build a second crossing without the state paying through the nose for it.

This may, in part, explain why AI is such a priority. There are some tasks that will need to be maintained to keep humanity viable as we adjust to fewer people. You have fewer inventions, fewer problem solvers and geniuses, fewer everything you need to keep the lights on. AI could step in to replace the "missing" people...though I don't think it's going to work. I mean, you can see how X (formerly Twitter) used AI bots to boost followers and the results of that were not inconsequential.
You have fewer of all those already today but it's mostly due to the smothering of what society has become. Yes AI should be used for replacing mind numbing tasks, but instead businesses just use it for profit pushing further and generative content that produced a negative feedback to itself as it takes in its own garbage. People can't afford to have kids anymore because of such business ideas of exponential growth. I just hope it all crashes and burns so we don't descend into the 1% can have a sustainable family.

You have fewer of all those already today but it's mostly due to the smothering of what society has become. Yes AI should be used for replacing mind numbing tasks, but instead businesses just use it for profit pushing further and generative content that produced a negative feedback to itself as it takes in its own garbage. People can't afford to have kids anymore because of such business ideas of exponential growth. I just hope it all crashes and burns so we don't descend into the 1% can have a sustainable family.
Businesses can't grow if there aren't any customers. Business growth is dependent on increasing populations. It would be far better to compete on quality of earnings, rather than volume in this environment. I agree with your assessment of AI's Achilles heel. If it ingests it's own output, won't it become a giant average argument generator? If left to run long enough, all of the outputs will average out to the same answer for every input.

Last edited:

That is completely priority dependent.

anyways time will tell

edit I dont like ppl
Yeah, so many peoples jobs are dependent on constant growth. Engineers depend on developers so that they can get paid to draw more couldesacs, then you got all your roofers and contractors who all depend on constant growth so they have projects … I mean the entire economy of Florida is dependent on it growing fast for eternity otherwise the music stops and the state goes broke … makes you wonder what happens when it all ends what happens ? I mean sounds like a ponzi scheme to me… not to get political but I think this explains the bipartisan inaction on the border …. They want more people to keep the music playing

The amount of house price inflation over the past nine years is just staggering. I heard today about a house on the lake that would be 280-350k nine years ago is on the market for 850k. Insanity.

Already a heat island, warm noise region, region where cold air can’t get over plateau. Numbers likely underdone.
My family moved to Georgia in 1996 from Long Island, New York. When I was 9 we took a trip to Chattanooga and one thing my father said to my mother on the drive that I heard from the middle seat cause all we had was pickup truck with a middle seat and 2 small seats in the back for my younger siblings was that if he had money to spare, he would buy land there. The next year my mom said we were tight on cash and had to self suffice, so I helped my dad cut wood and deliver cords of it with his truck and a wheel barrow and strip copper with him. He is an electrician so he always had so much scrap from job sites. I didn't really understand it so much then but I do now. He bought nearly 5 acres in Hamilton county for $5000 an acre. In 2023 he sold each acre for around 60k.

Back