• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

4/11/20 - 4/13/20 Severe Weather Outbreak

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
In light of the fact the Arctic April thread is being swamped with posts on this (mainly by @Myfrotho704_ @BufordWX, & myself), there's growing consensus on there being severe weather in some, way, shape or form for someone on this board next weekend, a high potential ceiling with this system, and given the threat begins within the next 5 days over Texas with the anticipation of forthcoming severe weather outlooks from the Storm Prediction Center (SPC), I think the creation of this thread is warranted. Details regarding the placement, breadth, and intensity of any severe weather are still yet to be ironed out, but most should keep a close eye on this over the coming week or so.

The synoptic-scale pattern features a cut-off upper level low emerging out of the southwestern US & southern Four Corners region with a retreating vortex over the Great Lakes & New England, a pattern we often associated w/ overrunning &/or winter storms in the southern US during Dec-Feb. The evolution of this pattern is still somewhat tenuous, but most models have trended towards the slower, aggressive, and more severe European solution, (with the GFS remaining a progressive outlier), and feature a strong area of low pressure forming over the southern Plains and Gulf coast states, which then rapidly lifts northward across the lower MS and Tennessee Valleys sometime on Easter Sunday &/or Monday. This should allow for sufficient boundary layer destabilization and a rapidly burgeoning warm sector, w/ strong moisture and warm air advection to overtake much of the deep south on Saturday, and especially Easter Sunday. In conjunction with strong instability that's hastened by Gulf of Mexico SSTs that are 1-2C (or more) above normal, an unusually (arguably record strong) strong 130-140 knot 200 hPa subtropical jet core that's being fueled by a CC Kelvin Wave over the Pacific should supply ample deep layer shear for organized convection, mainly in the form of supercells and/or multicellular clusters, with early hints at a primary threat of widespread, straight-line damaging winds & tornadoes, accompanied by an enhanced threat for hail over Texas on Saturday. In fact, the 12z EPS suite depicts a classic "double-barrel" or coupled jet structure with the thermally indirect left exit region and thermally right entrance region circulations superimposed onto one another over the lower MS and TN valleys on Easter Sunday, which favors very strong quasi-geostrophic forcing for ascent & rapid cyclogenesis over the southern US, further reinforcing the heightened potential for significant severe weather. As is often the case with strongly forced setups like this one, CAPE & storm mode are likely to be the biggest mesoscale wildcards that largely determine the overall character and evolution of this severe weather outbreak (i.e. less CAPE/linear storm mode >>> widespread wind damage/less tornadoes, more CAPE >>> large-scale tornado outbreak) & the warm, moist southwesterly flow off the Gulf into a relatively cooler air mass over the upper south (isentropic upglide) amidst potential ongoing convection ahead of the primary synoptic-scale forcing, is often a harbinger of substantial prefrontal convection that could significantly damper CAPE and limit the lateral extent of the warm sector. In the long run, this become a grave concern for areas well north of the Gulf Coast in addition to the potential for flash flooding. Regardless, it's also important to keep in mind, we're also near the relative climatological peak (mid-late April) for severe weather for many on this board, therefore severe weather outbreaks like this may potentially be, are somewhat commonplace at this time of the year and the large-scale ingredients tend to come together in larger quantities more frequently.

In summary/key takeaways:
a) A severe weather outbreak of some, way, shape, or form is becoming increasingly probable-likely somewhere over the southern US next weekend
b) Instability and deep layer shear should be more than sufficient to produce organized, intense moist convection over a large portion of the south, with primary threats of damaging winds & tornadoes
c) The overrunning nature of this setup increases the potential for widespread flash flooding, which will be a particular concern in areas near the periphery of the warm sector
d) A few synoptic and myriad of mesoscale details remain to be ironed out and will determine the timing, location, intensity, and breadth of this severe weather outbreak.

Last edited:
Webb,
Great analysis. Thanks!
Now, let's pray it fizzles ...
But if not, let's back-up pray no one is hurt and if somehow any severe happens it doesn't cause micro-regional movement of folks and contemporaneously increase the risk of virus transmission.
Thanks, Man!
Best,
Phil

Webb,
Great analysis. Thanks!
But if not, let's back-up pray no one is hurt and if somehow any severe happens it doesn't cause micro-regional movement of folks and contemporaneously increase the risk of virus transmission.
Thanks, Man!
Best,
Phil

Thanks, I've been more interested in usual in this particular threat given the high potential ceiling it possesses and my personal exhaustion in being exposed to & discussing the COVID-19 pandemic in what seems like every waking moment of every day of the week lately. A nice weather event should take my mind off of it for a while.

Thanks, I've been more interested in usual in this particular threat given the high potential ceiling it possesses and my personal exhaustion in being exposed to & discussing the COVID-19 pandemic in what seems like every waking moment of every day of the week lately. A nice weather event should take my mind off of it for a while.

Yeah, next few days looking at these little-medium setups and the possible bigger one around Easter is definitely helping out my stress levels over COVID-19, that’s probably why I Been on a posting frenzy on the April thread, haha

IMHO - a nice weather event would be a sunny, calm, not too humid and placid few days ... :cool:

Webb,
Great analysis. Thanks!
Thanks, Man!
Best,
Phil

Yeah, not that we ever need these potential disasters, but now would be just about the absolute worst time for something like this. This is the best time to pray: pray that it will end up being nothing to speak of as opposed to waiting to pray afterward. So, prayers for this to end up a nonevent. Anyone else with me on these prayers?

Generally pretty good agreement on the EPS for a low somewhere in the ballpark of the low-mid 990s to emerge over the lower MS Valley on Easter Sunday. Even at this stage, w/ overdamping of the ensemble mean due to dispersion between members, the EPS is going with 2-4" of rain across most of MS, AL, & GA thru the beginning of next week.

download (13).png

download (12).png

Unsurprisingly, the area expected to be impacted by the most significant precipitation is occurring over precisely the same places that have seen a massive surplus in rainfall over the last several months, it's amazing how persistent this general pattern has been of late.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.48.41 PM.png

@Webberweather53 how confident are you with euro rain totals East of the mtns? Seems dry and spotty in nature as of late combined with other guidance being at least 50% reduction of what euro is showing. I would tend to blend the gfs/cmc maybe even less of what they show too given current conditions and recent prior events.

Basically, once timing differences become resolved between models & if the ECMWF/UKMET continue to lead the way, severe risks will be introduced in the SE US

"Extended-range guidance continues to exhibit considerable
uncertainty regarding the ejection of the closed low across the
Southwest. While all guidance continues to show poor run-to-run
continuity, the 07/00Z ECMWF and UKMET have come into better
agreement on a slower ejection of the upper low, with more
substantial downstream ridging allowing the system to take on more
of a neutral or negative tilt this weekend. Meanwhile, the 07/00Z
GFS/CMC depict a faster and more suppressed trough ejection. The
EC/UK solutions would support an increasing severe threat across
portions of the Southern Plains into the Arklatex Saturday,
spreading eastward into portions of the Gulf Coast and Southeast on
Sunday, as a warm front advances northward ahead of an intensifying
surface low and attendant cold front.

Given the spread in model guidance, the inherent low predictability
with ejecting cutoff lows, and potential for widespread convection
to limit the northward progress of the warm front this weekend, no
probabilities have been included at this time. However, if the

slower and more amplified solutions of the 07/00Z ECMWF/UKMET begin
to show some run-to-run continuity, severe probabilities will need
to be added for this weekend across the Southern Plains into the

Southeast."

The large-scale environment on that Euro run basically looked the same as it has on the last several runs, 40-50 knots & 300-500 0-1 SRH w/ 1000+ CAPE near the Gulf coast, <500 j/kg once you get into NC, somewhere in between over GA & SC. This is definitely on the higher end of the parameter space in the context of outbreaks, reaffirming the already impressive pattern overall.

Also worth noting fwiw, the double barrel jet on this Euro run is displaced NW of the SC/GA EF2+ tornado composite, suggests areas further NW (TN, AL, NC) could also be in trouble down the line.
1586252652034.png

I've always found this page to be pretty helpful to put severe outbreaks like this one into greater context.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/envbrowser/

Here's a 1962-2011 climatology of various parameters for roughly 20 EF2+ tor cases in upstate SC and the Charlotte area.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 6.29.46 AM.png

Now compare this w/ the most recent Euro run sounding for the same area (really could have picked any of the recent runs tbh, they're all roughly in the same ballpark). Basically, most parameters are as good, if not significantly better than the composite of strong tornado cases in upstate SC & southwestern NC w/ the deep layer shear significantly exceeding the max of the cases! (a testament to how unusually strong the subtropical jet is going to be next week).

Mesoscale details will make all the difference in the world in determining whether or not the potential is fully realized, but there is no denying that this system has big time tornado outbreak potential in the SE US.

Mixed layer CAPE: 0z Euro: 700 j/kg, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 449 j/kg
Effective shear: 0z Euro: 74 knots, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 56 kts, max: 66 knots
Effective helicity: 0z Euro: 491 m2/s2, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 280 m2/s2
Mixed layer LCL: 0z Euro: 600m, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 544m

1586255355520.png

I've always found this page to be pretty helpful to put severe outbreaks like this one into greater context.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/envbrowser/

Here's a 1962-2011 climatology of various parameters for roughly 20 EF2+ tor cases in upstate SC and the Charlotte area.

View attachment 38557

Now compare this w/ the most recent Euro run sounding for the same area (really could have picked any of the recent runs tbh, they're all roughly in the same ballpark). Basically, most parameters are as good, if not significantly better than the composite of strong tornado cases in upstate SC & southwestern NC w/ the deep layer shear significantly exceeding the max of the cases! (a testament to how unusually strong the subtropical jet is going to be next week).

Mesoscale details will make all the difference in the world in determining whether or not the potential is fully realized, but there is no denying that this system has big time tornado outbreak potential in the SE US.

Mixed layer CAPE: 0z Euro: 700 j/kg, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 449 j/kg
Effective shear: 0z Euro: 74 knots, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 56 kts, max: 66 knots
Effective helicity: 0z Euro: 491 m2/s2, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 280 m2/s2
Mixed layer LCL: 0z Euro: 600m, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 544m

View attachment 38556

What about comparisons to 4/11/11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about comparisons to 4/11/11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWS RAH has a great summary of the April 16, 2011 outbreak: https://projects.ncsu.edu/atmos_collaboration/nwsfo/storage/cases/20110416/

You can also read thru the SPC's severe event archive to get a deeper sense of the parameter space & synoptic pattern on that day: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20110416

Here's a GSO sounding taken at 16z that day:

Hate to say it, but overall, the mid Apr 2011 outbreak up here is actually pretty comparable to many of the soundings I've been continuously seeing on the Euro over parts of GA, SC, & NC and that's definitely concerning. Although the 0-1 SRH is a bit higher if anything and this setup has considerably more deep layer shear than basically every historic setup I've looked at.

There are a lot of details yet to be resolved and we don't even know if a tornado outbreak will occur, significant severe of some type somewhere in the SE US is likely though, so take the day 6 (ish) model soundings w/ massive mounds of salt, but the parameter space for next weekend's event definitely suggests there's a possibility of a high end severe weather outbreak here.

Here's an updated comparison of the 4 aforementioned parameters in my previous post now w/ Apr 16 2011 data via a special 16z GSO sounding.

Mixed layer CAPE: 0z Euro: 712 j/kg, 19 EF2+ cases (mean) 449 j/kg, April 16 2011: 746 j/kg
Effective shear: 0z Euro: 74 knots, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 56 knots, April 16 2011: 51 knots
Effective helicity: 0z Euro: 491 m2/s2, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 280 m2/s2, April 16 2011: 629 m2/s2
Mixed layer LCL: 0z Euro: 600m, 19 EF2+ cases (mean): 544m, April 16 2011: 566m

1586261731655.png

The finer scale details like storm mode, the preceding day &/or morning prefrontal convection, mesolows, exact intensity placement of the parent sfc low, frontal boundary juxtaposition, extent/intensity of the warm sector, surface dews, orientation of deep layer shear relative to the front, etc. etc., will completely make or break this and be the difference between a nasty QLCS w/ some embedded tors, or a big tornado outbreak characterized by discrete supercells. It's basically gonna come down to a proverbial game of pick your poison, would you rather see a less intense severe outbreak over larger area riddled w/ tons of damaging wind reports, or isolated pockets of total destruction w/ the potential for strong tornadoes. Far more often that not, less intense, more widespread severe featuring a nasty QLCS w/ embedded tors is the route we take, but the other option is definitely on the table & neither of these are good.

Last edited:
Generally pretty good agreement on the EPS for a low somewhere in the ballpark of the low-mid 990s to emerge over the lower MS Valley on Easter Sunday. Even at this stage, w/ overdamping of the ensemble mean due to dispersion between members, the EPS is going with 2-4" of rain across most of MS, AL, & GA thru the beginning of next week.

View attachment 38519

View attachment 38520

Unsurprisingly, the area expected to be impacted by the most significant precipitation is occurring over precisely the same places that have seen a massive surplus in rainfall over the last several months, it's amazing how persistent this general pattern has been of late.

View attachment 38521
The creeks are still full but it's dry enough now where I'll take some of it. Hopefully it's heavy enough to knock the pollen out of the trees as well as the air.

Back