• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TripleJ185 said:
GaWx said:
One thing I'm liking about this website so far is that the vast majority of posters seem to get along reasonably well with each other. Yes, there's some trolling but some trolling is normal and it isn't out of control. I like the inviting atmosphere here.
Also, there's a limited level of arrogance being shown imo. That is far from the case at some other places. I have a lot of experience posting at wx bb's...going back to the 1990's with Prodigy.
I hope this forum remains this way!

Agreed! Seems to be going along pretty well.

Maybe there could be a helpful thread for simple terms that is being used in these forums (ie Models, weather terms, etc..) so one can learn a bit more. Doesn't need to be done in a day. Just post helpful items when one can.
That's a great idea and one that is already in the works. We will be making many additions to the site over the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GaWx said:
ForsythSnow said:
Joe Bastardi starting up the hype train again... already.

Leave it to JB to just bypass a consensus model forecast for one of the warmest two week periods centered on mid January on record for the US as a whole (not necessarily the SE in particular), which of course he didn't forecast, and instead focus on a 384 hour ensemble map in this tweet. Why not tweet more about the very widespread and long duration warmth that appears to be on the way before any change to colder? Meteorologically speaking, that should be worthy of discussion even though it is the last thing he and many of his subscribers want. About all he's saying on Twitter is that we have a "January thaw" coming up. Folks, this is no ordinary "January thaw"! This is a major and lengthy torch outside of short breaks for much of the country lasting at least through half of January! Yes, I know the reasons but this can't be good for his credibility.
 Also, note he's referring to 1993. I wonder why lol (hint: the March Storm of Century).
I agree Larry. How can anyone just brush off the torch that's coming. For me it's not so much the warmth but it's the extent of the warmth. Often times in winter we get certain areas that " torch" while others hit the freezer. The upcoming warmth has a very wide reach.

Storm5 said:
GaWx said:
ForsythSnow said:

Leave it to JB to just bypass a consensus model forecast for one of the warmest two week periods centered on mid January on record for the US as a whole (not necessarily the SE in particular), which of course he didn't forecast, and instead focus on a 384 hour ensemble map in this tweet. Why not tweet more about the very widespread and long duration warmth that appears to be on the way before any change to colder? Meteorologically speaking, that should be worthy of discussion even though it is the last thing he and many of his subscribers want. About all he's saying on Twitter is that we have a "January thaw" coming up. Folks, this is no ordinary "January thaw"! This is a major and lengthy torch outside of short breaks for much of the country lasting at least through half of January! Yes, I know the reasons but this can't be good for his credibility.
 Also, note he's referring to 1993. I wonder why lol (hint: the March Storm of Century).
I agree Larry. How can anyone just brush off the torch that's coming. For me it's not so much the warmth but it's the extent of the warmth. Often times in winter we get certain areas that " torch" while others hit the freezer. The upcoming warmth has a very wide reach.

Exactly why I posted it. He doesn't want to look at his likely to bust forecast for January after busting December for temperatures and snow. Not even the northeast looks like it will do very well coming up.

Storm5 said:
GaWx said:
ForsythSnow said:

This looks like a cooler version of March 2012 when the cold air left almost all of the US and Canada. We won't see highs in the 80's obviously, but it'll be well above normal if that verifies.

test gif.

Edit. now testing with old plugin back on.

Storm5 said:
TripleJ185 said:
GaWx said:
One thing I'm liking about this website so far is that the vast majority of posters seem to get along reasonably well with each other. Yes, there's some trolling but some trolling is normal and it isn't out of control. I like the inviting atmosphere here.
Also, there's a limited level of arrogance being shown imo. That is far from the case at some other places. I have a lot of experience posting at wx bb's...going back to the 1990's with Prodigy.

Maybe there could be a helpful thread for simple terms that is being used in these forums (ie Models, weather terms, etc..) so one can learn a bit more. Doesn't need to be done in a day. Just post helpful items when one can.
That's a great idea and one that is already in the works. We will be making many additions to the site over the next few weeks

Yep. Let us know what you want to see and I will get to work on some things. I'd like to get some of webbers snow maps. Maybe Larry can post some of his climo stats too.

Right now I have:
What is CAD
What is Overrunning
What is a warm nose
How to read a sounding
Miller a vs Miller b
EPO, NAO, AO and so on and why are they important
Why does it sleet sometimes when it's in the 40s
Uvvs

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SD said:
Storm5 said:
TripleJ185 said:

Yep. Let us know what you want to see and I will get to work on some things. I'd like to get some of webbers snow maps. Maybe Larry can post some of his climo stats too.

Right now I have:
What is CAD
What is Overrunning
What is a warm nose
How to read a sounding
Miller a vs Miller b
EPO, NAO, AO and so on and why are they important
Why does it sleet sometimes when it's in the 40s
Uvvs

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
That is a great idea!
What about adding these as well:

What is a deformation band
What is SER and its effects
What is upslope precipitation

Maybe later on, add some information about severe weather systems too?

SD, Forsyth, those are perfect! I know these would help out a lot! Do each of the models run roughly at the same time every day? (I'm pretty sure that's a 'Yes' but want to make sure). Maybe there could be subcategories for types of weather (but the spring and summer can come later, of course). Thanks again for y'all's input!

Storm5 said:
TripleJ185 said:
GaWx said:

Thank you guys! This is something I'd like to see. I am learning and have already learned from this forum.

I checked Tropical Tidbits this morning to see Levi added sleet and freezing rain as a difference versus plain wintry mix. Hopefully this will help us see the differences next time around! :)

GaWx said:
ForsythSnow said:

GaWx said:

Along these lines it would be nice to finally be on a weather forum where folks don't go after JB (or even other ones.)  Nothing gets me more than a bunch of amateur weather "people" pointing out faults (or worshipping) the pro's.  To me that's a big part of the board atmosphere, when people feel free to criticize and point out flaws whether they're real or just perceived then it's just not a discussion board. 
That's just mho..

I can't login on the site on PC. I can through Tapatalk but I can't on PC. I cleared the catche and cookies still not letting me login. I tried a different browser, same problem. I also reset my password, still not letting me login. Please fix!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NorthGAWinterWx said:
I can't login on the site on PC. I can through Tapatalk but I can't on PC. I cleared the catche and cookies still not letting me login. I tried a different browser, same problem. I also reset my password, still not letting me login. Please fix!

clear any old bookmarks you might have
http://southernwx.com/community/

Storm5 said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

clear any old bookmarks you might have
http://southernwx.com/community/

Thanks storm, I'll eventually get logged in. I wasn't venting, I should have posted the issue in the help & support thread.

BillT said:
thanks for the help i recreated the same account info and here i am.

No worries.  Sometimes things can get messed up during server and software changes. :) Glad to see you have it working.

looking around some i see webberweather posting.......past experience tells me that poster is very knowledgeable.

BillT said:
looking around some i see webberweather posting.......past experience tells me that poster is very knowledgeable.

agree and well respected already at a young age in the weather community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back