• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

7" and still snowing here in NE Forsyth County.

I'll think twice before completely discounting the NAM. I'll think twice before completely discounting precip rates overcoming recent warmth. This has been an absolutely epic day, one that is drawing close to 3/13/93 in my book.

Wow y'all ... what a day! Happy for all who got to see a storm for the ages rage out their windows.

I think people put way too much emphasis on the soil temps.
Yes, I was one of those, however don t think anyone truthfully believed in the amounts some models were showing... and remember almost all models were showing run to run variables, so it was up to meso features overall...

Just went over 9". Gone from limbs popping to entire pine tops coming down. Light show outside with all the transformers going...absolutely epic storm guys. Feels amazing to have finally been in the sweet spot. ARCC and I have been reeling in these for many years with you guys and we usually bring in an old shoe. But not this time! Reeled her in boys!!
That's incredible!!! Congrats. Yeah you, ARCC and xtreme weather have been bringing systems home for many of us for over a decade only to find a way to get left out. Great to see y'all brought one home and Not only that, brought home a HUGE one . Sweet spot victory!!

FXUS64 KMOB 090103
AFDMOB

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mobile AL
703 PM CST Fri Dec 8 2017

.DISCUSSION...See updated information for land areas below.

&&

.UPDATE...The Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisory for
southeast Mississippi was allowed to expire at 6 pm. There may be
some lingering light snow over that area this evening, especially
over George and Greene counties, but no additional accumulations
are expected. Futher east into interior southwest Alabama, light
to occasionally moderate snow continues over parts of Washington,
northern Clarke, western Wilcox county and parts of Choctaw
counties, but accumulations are less than earlier today. A Winter
Storm Warning continues for those counties through midnight, with
an additional 2 inches of snow possible. snow is expected to
gradually move east out of those counties after midnight. Eslewhere
across the remainder of of southwest and south central Alabama
and the interior western Florida panhandle, a Winter Weather
Advisory is in effect until at least 4 am. An additional band of
light to moderate snow is likely to develop and move east across
those areas late this evening and into the early morning hours.
Snow accumulations up to around 1 inch will be possible. Updated
forecast package is out and will be issuing refreshed Winter
Warning and Advisory product soon. 12/DS

Just to let everyone farther north about how the NWS is thinking about what is going on at the moment.

I’m starting to get nervous as hell when is thing going to redevelop
From what I've read it'll be after midnight for us. I think Shane said that. Also look at the Montgomery radar. Nothing crazy but it's a start. Also the hrrr shows a lull

And this lol to be honest BMX was calling for same notice date
965_F01_A5-27_B5-4989-92_A5-56032_B419_FD4.png

The number of huge branches popping in the neighborhood is unnerving. This is the only snow storm I remember that has caused so much power disruption, especially NW of ATL.

Lol. Well around these parts most likely it will be our big snow of the season. Highly unlikely we see anything close to something this big again for a while.

It will probably be years before we see this much snow in East Al, however we have been due a good one. We got left out last year pretty much. 6 to 10 inch snows are so rare. I'm hoping we get lots more like this throughout this season. So many people that I have spoke with have made the comment that they don't remember a true snow this early, ever. So, enjoy it guys. We just scored big time, and winter hasn't even begun.

Back