• We've made some major changes to the website. You can view a short list : Here
  • Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Learning Wiki Suggestions (1 Viewer)

ForsythSnow

Staff member
Since the Wiki is an active project, and is a great resource to refer to, what would you like to see in the wiki that isn't there already? Suggestions can be posted here.

I personally would like to see more graphics in the wiki, but don't know what yet.

pcbjr

Supporter
Since the Wiki is an active project, and is a great resource to refer to, what would you like to see in the wiki that isn't there already? Suggestions can be posted here.

I personally would like to see more graphics in the wiki, but don't know what yet.
I'd also like to know how many members refer to the Wiki and what they are looking for!

And if folks want to contribute - are they "intimidated"?

A lot has gone into Wiki but we want to make it the most user-friendly on the planet!

I haven't spend much time in the Wiki but plan to change that in the next few weeks. Hoping there are separate areas for newbies and seasoned mets. I'm still in kindergarten with WX.

pcbjr

Supporter
I haven't spend much time in the Wiki but plan to change that in the next few weeks. Hoping there are separate areas for newbies and seasoned mets. I'm still in kindergarten with WX.
It's one stop shopping and getting better as time moves on!

Just about any basic info and lots of "technical" stuff, and tons of model access, are all available for your perusal!

pcbjr

Supporter
We need a way (a Mod or some auto way) to get new topics in Wiki as topics/threads are created - I can't do it for every thread :( and ForsythSnow is laudably and tirelessly spending his Wiki time improving what's there ;)...

This thread was created - on Wednesday - and I just put it in to the Tropical Discussion of Wiki today - Saturday (http://www.southernwx.com/community/threads/global-model-runs-discussion.196/). I'll try to stay abreast, but preferably someone with a bit more time and flexibility can take charge of getting new threads in Wiki as (simultaneously as) new threads are started (???) :confused:
Volunteer? o_O

Last edited:

pcbjr

Supporter
As we move in to tropical season, here's an invitation to go to Wiki>Tropical Weather> Tropical Models and spend a little time going through the links, and the links inside the links, to see what suits your particular fancy. A bunch of really good stuff is there, just for you and your individual taste!
Thanks to our staff, BTW ... :cool:

Last edited:

pcbjr

Supporter
Keeping it updated though. It may gain use later on when obtaining information, such as when the next storm comes close to land, we can look at the Cindy page and see what the models did.
A lot of energy has gone into the Wiki and I'm just hoping folks are using it for a resource (models, explanations etc.) ... of course, if not, their loss ...

pcbjr

Supporter
I'd like to find a really good lightning map to include in Wiki Models. The ones I have are local and not of the best resolution.

Anyone got one worth sharing? If so, please post or send me the link and I'll dutifully get it into our Wiki for all to use!

Thanks and Best!

Phil

Last edited:

ForsythSnow

Staff member
I'd like to find a really good lightning map to include in Wiki Models. The ones I have are local and not of the best resolution.

Anyone got one worth sharing? If so, please post or send me the link and I'll dutifully get it into our Wiki for all to use!

Thanks and Best!

Phil
I have had this site bookmarked for awhile. It allows you to zoom into any area. Not sure if you had this already.
https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=sat;r=0;t=2;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;y=32.7587;x=-74.2871;z=4;

pcbjr

Supporter
For anyone who hasn't visited our Wiki site, below is an index of what's there; inside of each topic is a plethora of materials; the general Models is a well organized potpourri; more specific and equally well organized models for specific topics are found in Severe and Tropical and Drought/Fire; there is a ton of data and terms that can be searched on just about everything weather (for example, check out Winter), and of course, discussions on storms and such (for example, and not by way of limitation, check out the very engaging materials ForsythSnow put up on our last two named tropical systems).
Enjoy perusing!

Phil

ForsythSnow

Staff member
By the way, when uploading images, it would be best for any new images to be named according to what the image actually is. This would prevent any similar appearing images from being confused with one another.

Meanwhile, if you want to go look at the progress that is being made in the 2017 Hurricane season, feel free to go have a look!

ForsythSnow

Staff member
The 2017 hurricane season page looked a bit bland, so I drew up some icons for each storm and added them to the stats for now. Tell me if you like them, think they add clutter, or you think there is another use for them! :) I plan on trying to incorporate them into the scorecard to make it easier to read, if they are good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)