• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Sweatember '22

I love me some fog. We've had good conditions for steam fog along rivers/valleys the last 2 mornings - I made the drive up to Clingmans Dome for sunrise this morning to get a better view and it sure was worth it. Emerald green islands poking through a sea of fog - almost surreal.

1st pic is the view from the Clingmans Dome parking area looking south into Swain County about 30 minutes after sunrise. 2nd pic is the visible satellite at that time with the approximate camera view circled in red.

View attachment 121446

View attachment 121447
I’ve got that very photo printed as a poster on my wall from September 15 years ago.

You're still seeing models fight to keep a summertime pattern around as we are transitioning into a new season. It happens every time. Will we be warm next week? Probably for a couple of days, but I will bet your bottom dollar that it will be upper 80's at least back around my neck of the woods and maybe lower 90's the closer you get to the coast. The days of summer are basically all but over and with quickly shortening days, it's going to make it harder and harder for temps to get warm. Plus both the Euro and GFS have consistently been too hot in the medium and long range. By the first of October I think you're quickly going to start seeing highs in the 70's for most at least back towards the east coast.

You're still seeing models fight to keep a summertime pattern around as we are transitioning into a new season. It happens every time. Will we be warm next week? Probably for a couple of days, but I will bet your bottom dollar that it will be upper 80's at least back around my neck of the woods and maybe lower 90's the closer you get to the coast. The days of summer are basically all but over and with quickly shortening days, it's going to make it harder and harder for temps to get warm. Plus both the Euro and GFS have consistently been too hot in the medium and long range. By the first of October I think you're quickly going to start seeing highs in the 70's for most at least back towards the east coast.
I think we hang on to some low to mid 80's in the Atlanta area into October. There will be some nice "fall" like days mixing in behind cold fronts, though. I don't think it's going to be an extended heat wave. I do think it's going to be dry without any tropical systems to help out.

Back