• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Summer Sizzlin Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one about the the weekend weather with the misleading title

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HRRR disagrees.

0060f6d4a70e73e73b2bbec68fd4c90c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll find a way to rain in CLT tomorrow, as I will be at the KISS concert!!??????

Maybe he’ll go with a warm winter forecast, and we will all score a cold and snowy, roof collapsing winter!??9A894A17-10E0-41AA-ADAC-95635A668D7E.png

So after watching my sodded front yard continue to wilt away after the rain the last 2 weeks I decided to take a shovel to it and see what was wrong. After losing the battle vs the ground with the shovel I broke out an axe and finally got into the ground and realized the builder put down clay to level the lot and then packed it in. So long story short I'm not getting root growth from the centipede sod and the inch of sandy loam stuff they put on top isn't holding moisture. Now my first thought is to take my tiller and just blow the whole thing up and start over but according to my hoa guidelines that's frowned upon. My second thought is to get a core aerator and take out as much as I can but the clay is at least 4 inches deep so I'm not going to get down to the original soil that was on the lot. I also considered top dressing with a topsoil/compost mix but that isn't going to solve the issue that lies below. Anyone have any ideas? Push comes to shove I'll probably just till it and either sod or seed then play dumb with the hoa

So after watching my sodded front yard continue to wilt away after the rain the last 2 weeks I decided to take a shovel to it and see what was wrong. After losing the battle vs the ground with the shovel I broke out an axe and finally got into the ground and realized the builder put down clay to level the lot and then packed it in. So long story short I'm not getting root growth from the centipede sod and the inch of sandy loam stuff they put on top isn't holding moisture. Now my first thought is to take my tiller and just blow the whole thing up and start over but according to my hoa guidelines that's frowned upon. My second thought is to get a core aerator and take out as much as I can but the clay is at least 4 inches deep so I'm not going to get down to the original soil that was on the lot. I also considered top dressing with a topsoil/compost mix but that isn't going to solve the issue that lies below. Anyone have any ideas? Push comes to shove I'll probably just till it and either sod or seed then play dumb with the hoa

OPTION 3 OR CONTACT THE BUILDER AND SEE IF HE WILL MAKE IT RIGHT

Or Option 4, let it die. Im glad I dont have a HOA as them and I would not get along. I wouldnt like them telling me what I can and cannot do on property I pay taxes on.

Im actually having to water my field to keep grass growing for the goats.

Or Option 4, let it die. Im glad I dont have a HOA as them and I would not get along. I wouldnt like them telling me what I can and cannot do on property I pay taxes on.

Im actually having to water my field to keep grass growing for the goats.
THIS IS TRUE. IM GLAD I LIVE IN THE STICKS AND CAN BASICALLY DO AS I PLEASE

Sod ain’t cheap! I’d contact builder also. Your easiest fix would be skid steer and scrape off the compacted clay, then top dress with 4” of topsoil/compost, sod in the fall, with Bermuda ! Poop HOA
You’d be wasting time trying anything, with a 4” base of compact clay, IMO

Go with one of those Phoenix rock lawns. All you have to worry about is occasionally spraying for weeds and then erosion every few thousand years or so.

Sod ain’t cheap! I’d contact builder also. Your easiest fix would be skid steer and scrape off the compacted clay, then top dress with 4” of topsoil/compost, sod in the fall, with Bermuda ! Poop HOA
You’d be wasting time trying anything, with a 4” base of compact clay, IMO
My neighbor tried contacting the builder, they came out with a couple of shovels dug up the dead and put down rye grass seed. His yard looks like the Sahara now. I was thinking about having someone come in and take the clay out and replacing with topsoil but I get worried about it not being graded properly and water flowing back under my concrete slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back