• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Spring Severe Weather Thread 2017

Does anyone think this may be another April 27. Had someone ask me that and my response was we will never know until that's day is upon us again

Sent from my Android somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk

Does anyone think this may be another April 27. Had someone ask me that and my response was we will never know until that's day is upon us again

no way can we even temp to compare this far out... i will say this much... feel like a high risk day event will occur this spring over the south... midsouth region...

I say this in all seriousness - do you enjoy cleaning debris and sheltering neighbors you've never met?

I say this in all seriousness - do you enjoy cleaning debris and sheltering neighbors you've never met?
Certainly would never wish that devastation on anyone. Would love to be out in the elements though. Seems every storm system recently that has passed through, I've been stuck at work.

None of the threats currently showing up on the models even come close to that. While this spring, in general, may be active, having another April 27th is highly unlikely.

It could be decades before we have an event of that magnitude. I mean, yes, it can happen any year, but it just takes so much to get an event like that, that it is rare.

Last edited:
Certainly would never wish that devastation on anyone. Would love to be out in the elements though. Seems every storm system recently that has passed through, I've been stuck at work.
seen too many folks hurt ... snow is cool - severe, t'nados, 'canes, zr and such ... i just hate seein' folks hurt and homeless when they had a home and some security the day before....
my theory - cheer for snow and cold and watch and learn weather and hope to figure out what makes the "bad" destructive stuff dissipate ...

JMHO o_O

seen too many folks hurt ... snow is cool - severe, t'nados, 'canes, zr and such ... i just hate seein' folks hurt and homeless when they had a home and some security the day before....
my theory - cheer for snow and cold and watch and learn weather and hope to figure out what makes the "bad" destructive stuff dissipate ...

JMHO o_O
Certainly a great opinion to have! Personally, I wish people would take the Severe/Tornado warnings more seriously, especially around my area. You never know when one of those false alarms will be the real deal.

Well to show just how "differnt" the weather can be around here this time of year...
1975 Discrete cell formed alhead of strong QLCS near LaGrange GA and spawned an F3 that tore through NW Atlanta Killing 3, injuring over 100 and causung some 56 million in damage. This it named the "Governors Tornado" as it caused heave damage to the Ga Governors Mansion.
1983, an ULL tracked across ATL and resulted in the second heaviest snow on record (7.9")
Never boring... it s why we all "love" weather...

Well to show just how "differnt" the weather can be around here this time of year...
1975 Discrete cell formed alhead of strong QLCS near LaGrange GA and spawned an F3 that tore through NW Atlanta Killing 3, injuring over 100 and causung some 56 million in damage. This it named the "Governors Tornado" as it caused heave damage to the Ga Governors Mansion.
1983, an ULL tracked across ATL and resulted in the second heaviest snow on record (7.9")
Never boring... it s why we all "love" weather...
Obviously love weather - hate seeing destruction and worse - death. Prefer studying dissipation of bad ... :cool:

None of the threats currently showing up on the models even come close to that. While this spring, in general, may be active, having another April 27th is highly unlikely.

It could be decades before we have an event of that magnitude. I mean, yes, it can happy any year, but it just takes so much to get an event like that, that it is rare.

Yep, even an event like 4/15/11 was a historic outbreak, just sort of forgotten.

Any more thoughts on the System next Friday? It appears that the main area of LP passes right south of my area at hour 138 but it also appears that from the 06z run it might be moving ever so slightly NW.

Today's 12z Euro ups the Annie on the severe weather train in early april... I think things are fixing to get real in april.... what a amazing pattern upcoming if you like severe weather...

We are only about a month or so from the end of severe weather season in Georgia. March tends to be the big severe weather month here, with a lessening threat in April. Although rare late April events have occurred such as in 2011. I'm not crazy about severe weather so I'm just glad it's almost over with.

Monday
bdb7d63153f4139a9c857e148626e233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are only about a month or so from the end of severe weather season in Georgia. March tends to be the big severe weather month here, with a lessening threat in April. Although rare late April events have occurred such as in 2011. I'm not crazy about severe weather so I'm just glad it's almost over with.

I don't agree with this at all. If you look at the upcoming pattern things are just getting started .

I don't agree with this at all. If you look at the upcoming pattern things are just getting started .

West of the mountains and from AL westward maybe it is. In GA, NC, and SC, the big story of this spring will be the drought. Each and every system just dries up before coming east of the mountains.

Back