• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations SouthernWX Forecast

SD

Administrator
Reaction score
OVERVIEW: An arbitrary city (where the weather might be interesting) will be picked on a Saturday. The contest will run Monday through Friday. On Sunday a 5 day forecast for the period will be issued along with a day 1 forecast. Each day a forecast will be issued for the next day. The parameters for the 5 day are just high and low. The 1 day foecasts will be high low and total precip by type. The 5 day forecast will be locked so you will be riding on it all week. We will use data from the cf6 at that location for scoring.

SCORING: we will use a 100 point system each degree, .01 of rain and .1 of snow will be -1 point.

SPECIAL EVENTS: If a large event pops up during the forecasting week a special daily event will run for the event. If it's a hurricane it might be max wind gust and precip total, severe weather closest storm report to a city picked, snow max snow total, heat wave highest temp, cold wave coldest temp.

DUE TIME: Entries will be due by 0z.

Most of all I just want us to have fun with this. If you guys can think up anything to add let me know. Also on that note if you think this is too much or too time consuming let me know. I want to get as much participation as possible without causing too much headache. I'd like to do a trial run this week at Norfolk, Nebraska. Who's in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So, 5 day and Monday due by 0Z tomorrow for Norfolk, Nebraska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, 5 day and Monday due by 0Z tomorrow for Norfolk, Nebraska?

5 day forecast with high and low and an individual day forecast for Monday with high low total precip as rain, total precip as snow. We will be doing individual day forecasts in addition to the 5 day. So there will be 6 total

Love the idea but a daily investment to make an accurate forecast is too much for me. I’d favor a broad brush stroke, for example a 5 day and a weekly high/low. But I’d like to see how everyone does with this!

I'm game. The every day thing may get to be a little too time consuming but maybe we can figure out a way to have some off weeks or something. I'm also someone who put considerably way too much time into the WxChallenge when I participated in that. A wee bit competitive am I.
Love the idea but a daily investment to make an accurate forecast is too much for me. I’d favor a broad brush stroke, for example a 5 day and a weekly high/low. But I’d like to see how everyone does with this!

Thanks for the input. My biggest thing is to not make it time consuming and for folks to want to participate. Maybe we do a broad brush 5 day for a certain location then a separate single day forecast for a place that has something interesting going on? This way we are really only doing maybe 2-3 per week vs 6?
For example a 5 day starting today in Atlanta then a single day for tomorrow in an area that is going to get snow tomorrow in the plains. Then we may not do another single day until the weekend where we could pick a city in the deep South that might get heavy rain

I appreciate the concept of that, but that still requires checking in a lot to figure out when the next forecast is due. Maybe the week forecast is where most of the points come from, and a perfect forecast for one of the daily locations receives some sort of bonus points?
That's a good point that I didn't think about

Back