• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Possible Severe Weather 12/19-12/20

Reaction score
Only a marginal risk for now, but worth watching.

AL_swody3.png

Thoughts from J.P. Dice
FIRST ALERT: There is a threat for some gusty winds along with a marginal (low) tornado risk Tuesday night into Wednesday morning because of some increased wind shear and a small increase in surface-based instability. Most of this will be just a bunch of heavy rain. I'm out this week, but Wes and Jill are monitoring closely for changes. Make sure you have the WBRC First Alert weather app. This does not look like a huge deal, but worth watching.

Looking at some soundings around SC, I noticed a high shear, low cape situation. Probably wind. Back there to the west, may be more favorable.

More people should be posting in here. It's not the best, but the tornado chance does exist for some to my West, and wind.

Tornado warnings being issued for a cell currently in Texas.

With this being a "Speed Shear" rather than a "veering sheer" set up, the greatest threat should be wind transport to the surface. That said , we do need to keep an eye on any discreet cells that do form. As of now for for Georgia, greatest threat would be in the 10 am to 3 pm time frame, and between roughly I-20 and US 80 corridors IMO.

Last KCAE discussion I read spoke of heaviest rains being in the Northern Midlands. We are working with a low cape deal here, and while the warm front splits the Midlands in half, according to the latest 3KM NAM, they are wanting most thunder activity in the CSRA area.

Shades Creek temporarily out of its banks along Lakeshore in Homewood AL. I bet the Bowling Alley in Vestavia has issues.

i used to manage Vestavia Bowl for about 3 years, only flooded once during that time and since has had very good storm doors installed and it takes a pretty high water now to get into their building......we had 2.3 inches overnight here 42 miles nw of there.

i used to manage Vestavia Bowl for about 3 years, only flooded once during that time and since has had very good storm doors installed and it takes a pretty high water now to get into their building......we had 2.3 inches overnight here 42 miles nw of there.
Yeah, it happened again earlier this year. Vestavia Bowl and several of the businesses along Hwy 31 in that area severely flooded. The next day it looked like a war zone. Cars on roofs and sides and everything covered in mud or dried mud. The bowling alley actually faired pretty well with the new doors. They were only closed for two days for the fans to dry everything our. No damage to lanes. City was blamed for not moving downed trees and brush and they clogged the new drainage system.

Today's water is receding quickly. Some sun peeking out.

I wish I was able to spot the tree damage along HWY 431 north of Roanoke because I didn’t see it.

Rainy and breezy so far today here. Sure beats a true tornado outbreak so close to Christmas, that we have experienced before in the SE.

Back