• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

You mean we need to wait until it’s actually Winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we are chasing 384 hour -NAOs in late Feb, what will be the excuse?
I hit 29 this morning! Winning

7f56fb5b923e397acc9951aaea2f5d29.jpg

Nothing crazy but comfortable temps to Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad my kids are grown and you're not reading them bedtime stories ...

In all seriousness, we have to just all calm down until after Christmas ...
Agreed, but I'd way rather have it showing up than not. Maybe, just maybe we can see a recurrence of it in winter for a change, instead of the other usual +NAO pattern. Then, maybe it can be helpful when we do get a more favorable general pattern supporting cold on our side of the globe.

ICON looking much better and temps really close
Here’s 2m temps and precipitation trends over the last 2 runs
icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh102_trend.gificon_T2m_us_fh96_trend.gif

ICON looking much better and temps really close
Here’s 2m temps and precipitation trends over the last 2 runs
View attachment 25782View attachment 25783
The 0z ICON would have been a colder run during that time frame if the high was over Southeastern Canada/Northeast US. If there was going to be snow out of this system, the southern edge of the PV would need to be reaching the OH River, which in that case, the upper south would be getting more snow. I doubt that PV will come further south due to heights building east. If any frozen precip, it will most likely be freezing rain.icon_z500_mslp_us_35.png

The 00z GEFS has increased snowfall means again in North Carolina .. some folks could be in for a surprise in the piedmont ... Charlotte looks like the front comes close by 8-12 pm and strikes with cold before the heating of the day can get its act together ... will the cold finally outpace the precip this time?????

The 0z & 6z GEFS are night and day in the longer term wrt sensible impacts here in the CONUS.

download - 2019-11-11T064707.896.png
download - 2019-11-11T064719.895.png

Interestingly, the 0z GEFS is actually how most Decembers w/ a +EPO/+SCAND/-NAO have played out.

u4HWOqO2Pe.png

Those Decembers ended up torching the E US, & notice none of these years were significant NINOs.

cd69.217.128.238.314.4.35.17.prcp.png

I generally wait until the last 10 days of the month runs before I start taking the models too seriously about the following months outlook. As for the CFSV2, I wait until the first 10 days of that month before I pay it any attention . :p

Back