• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Need tech info help for Christmas gift

Ghost

Reaction score
I need help from some of you younger tech savvy people. Was looking to get my son some of the color lightbulbs that you can control and work with Alexa and/or an app.
I’m an old mama ?. Need help as I’m so confused ?‍♀️. Are all the WiFi light bulbs the same? Can they all be controlled with Alexa? I’ve seen different apps that program the light bulbs from gosund to smartlife.
Where do I start ? Or is everything about even with bulb app and interface with Alexa. ? Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions

I need help from some of you younger tech savvy people. Was looking to get my son some of the color lightbulbs that you can control and work with Alexa and/or an app.
I’m an old mama . Need help as I’m so confused . Are all the WiFi light bulbs the same? Can they all be controlled with Alexa? I’ve seen different apps that program the light bulbs from gosund to smartlife.
Where do I start ? Or is everything about even with bulb app and interface with Alexa. ? Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions

Look for bulbs that have “Works with Alexa” on the box. You can also search for them on Amazon.

I have about 7 of the Phillips hue and they are consistently the best, but other bulbs work as well. Amazon reviews should help but read about connectivity issues if any.

I will go against the grain and recommend Lifx Bulbs. They do everything Philips Hue does without the need for a Bridge.

Philips Hue bulbs connect to a device, that then connects them to the internet. So, when you buy the bulbs you also have to buy this $60 Bridge on top of the bulb price. Without the Bridge they are just an over priced light bulb!

Lifx does not require the bridge. Each individual bulb connects directly to your Wifi internet. They have a great and easy app that my wife likes and can use, and they work with Alexa. I've had my first set since 2016, and they get used every day without any degradation.

Back