• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Montana/Yellowstone Snow Update

k0skinne

2024 Supporter
2017-2023 Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening or morning. I posted a couple of days ago in the June thread that I was traveling to the northwest for a vacation and there was snow in the forecast. Instead of posting in the June thread, thought I would make a separate one so I would not bore anyone who could care less to look at anything I post. So, if you don't care, then don't read lol!

A quick synopsis of our trip was that we flew into Bozeman on Tuesday night. Drove up to the north part of Glacier National Park on Wednesday to Lake Waterton in Alberta (about 6 hours.) Came down later Thursday through Glacier. Spent the night in East Glacier village. Friday (today) drove back down to Bozeman. The plan for tomorrow is to stay in Gardiner, which is the northern border of Yellowstone. On Sunday we will spend more time in Yellowstone, as well as some time on Monday before driving down to Jackson and spending a couple of days in the Tetons. We will come home Thursday.

Tonight we are in Bozeman, go see a movie, and come out to a rain/snow mix. Like many of you, I did not see a single flake all winter. The forecast earlier for Bozeman was light rain and possibly changing to a mix on Saturday. The chance was greater for a changeover on Saturday morning. Funny coming out of the theater, not a single person seemed to care about the snow ... I did not hear one person say anything about it. I know people would have gone crazy in Georgia!

As we travel tomorrow, it should be interesting and I will try to post something when I get a chance. Cell coverage is sketchy in some places. Again, I will be in Gardiner tomorrow night but will be traveling further south into the park. The NWS graphic below pretty much describes what I will probably see ... Gardiner is expected to receive 0 inches so I probably brought the mojo with me. But we will see.

Saturday Snow.PNG

Good evening or morning. I posted a couple of days ago in the June thread that I was traveling to the northwest for a vacation and there was snow in the forecast. Instead of posting in the June thread, thought I would make a separate one so I would not bore anyone who could care less to look at anything I post. So, if you don't care, then don't read lol!

A quick synopsis of our trip was that we flew into Bozeman on Tuesday night. Drove up to the north part of Glacier National Park on Wednesday to Lake Waterton in Alberta (about 6 hours.) Came down later Thursday through Glacier. Spent the night in East Glacier village. Friday (today) drove back down to Bozeman. The plan for tomorrow is to stay in Gardiner, which is the northern border of Yellowstone. On Sunday we will spend more time in Yellowstone, as well as some time on Monday before driving down to Jackson and spending a couple of days in the Tetons. We will come home Thursday.

Tonight we are in Bozeman, go see a movie, and come out to a rain/snow mix. Like many of you, I did not see a single flake all winter. The forecast earlier for Bozeman was light rain and possibly changing to a mix on Saturday. The chance was greater for a changeover on Saturday morning. Funny coming out of the theater, not a single person seemed to care about the snow ... I did not hear one person say anything about it. I know people would have gone crazy in Georgia!

As we travel tomorrow, it should be interesting and I will try to post something when I get a chance. Cell coverage is sketchy in some places. Again, I will be in Gardiner tomorrow night but will be traveling further south into the park. The NWS graphic below pretty much describes what I will probably see ... Gardiner is expected to receive 0 inches so I probably brought the mojo with me. But we will see.

View attachment 20273
Enjoy the fun. I want to get out there some day.

Nice thread, even in the month of June, I still pay attention to there forecast up there. I'm a winter weather geek, so I would love to travel up there just to view the beauty that God has created

This is awesome, I've always wanted to go to the north-central Rockies and experience snow in June, this must be quite an experience.
Hopefully will have more to share later tonight. Trying to get on road for Yellowstone, but wife and daughter are shopping for something to put on their head!

Wish I could share that there were a couple of inches of snow with everyone, but for several areas, the forecast busted. I guess it happens everywhere lol. The snow/graupel today was more convective in nature and therefore isolated. Like a local shower in the summer. A spot we went through in Bozeman had it covering the roads. I was driving and did not get a pic. I will try to post a couple pics. It could be sunny with temps around 45 and suddenly would begin snowing, the temp drop, and then be over in a few minutes. In some areas it would be a quick dusting, then melt. When driving, you could see ahead where it was snowing hard, just like we do with a summer storm in the distance. Here is one example from Yellowstone:

20190608_201629.jpg

I want to go in January! I think a lot of stuff is closed down

Not good reception the last day or so, but saw a good bit of snow in the passes of the park. Some of the snow was new ... hard to say how much. I will try to post more pics later.

Thanks Eric for update on the Tetons. Heading down there later today.

As for January, much of park is closed. They have poles on roadway so you know about where the road is. The poles are 8 to 10 ft high.

Very cool place, I hope everyone can experience this area!

Back