• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

In light of this being the 40th anniversary of the March 1980 blizzard, I've reanalyzed this storm's snowfall totals in NC. I merged information from the popular statewide map from NWS RAH and data from the NC State Climate Office, NWS MHX's case study analysis, SERCC, & NCEI's IPS, in addition to personal accounts of the storm. Cherry point & Emerald Isle on the SE Coast of NC picked up a whopping 30" from this storm.
Special thanks to @Downeastnc & @tramadoc for their recounts of this storm and totals. I definitely believe at least 20" fell in Greenville & a swath of >2" started around the Va border in extreme NE NC and extended well into SE VA.
View attachment 36681

For my SC peeps, here's one for you:

March 1-2 1980 SC Snowmap.jpg

In light of this being the 40th anniversary of the March 1980 blizzard, I've reanalyzed this storm's snowfall totals in NC. I merged information from the popular statewide map from NWS RAH and data from the NC State Climate Office, NWS MHX's case study analysis, SERCC, & NCEI's IPS, in addition to personal accounts of the storm. Cherry point & Emerald Isle on the SE Coast of NC picked up a whopping 30" from this storm.
Special thanks to @Downeastnc & @tramadoc for their recounts of this storm and totals. I definitely believe at least 20" fell in Greenville & a swath of >2" started around the Va border in extreme NE NC and extended well into SE VA.
View attachment 36681
I was 9 then and 18" is spot on what I remember here, but the drifts were 3' and I recall digging a tunnel through a drift in our front yard. Man to have another like that one

I was 7 in 1980 and living in Duck, NC (Northern OBX). My father recorded 18” at our house with drifts over 3’. I’ve often wondered if the lesser totals just south of Duck (Kitty Hawk, KDH, Manteo) we’re legit. If so, there was a crazy gradient.

Since we are talking about historic March weather this month has tons of tornados, coming up on the anniversary of what I consider one of the scarier looking tornado's in NC history the Stoneville F3...…they don't get much more classic that that....

stoneville.jpg

My dad had to write a "diary" for his senior year of high school. In early March 1980, from what I remember from reading it, I believe I saw him write about them going to take some family members home from the airport, and there was sleet beginning to pelt the car, and on the next day (which was this day 40 years ago I believe) there was 2 inches of snow on the ground and it didn't get above freezing. This was Columbia County, GA.

Another rainy day in 2020.

Started out a bit chilly at 38 but rose to about 49-51 and has stayed in that range all day. Have had waves of light to moderate rain since late morning.

Finally about 30 minutes ago on my ride home it was already somewhat foggy until I ran into a pretty heavy downpour. Visibility was so bad we were going about 5-10 mph. Luckily, it didn’t last longer then 2-3 minutes but heavy rain coupled with fog at night time is a bad bad combo on the road.

Overall rain totals have been pretty decent so far with .63 inches so far. Looking at radar might squeeze our a bit more rain over the next couple of hours so the final total for this wave should be about 3/4 of an inch. After that looks like another batch of rain moves in during the mid-late morning. Can’t wait:rolleyes:

FFC made a mistake in dropping the chance of thunder overnight in the evening update. Several thunderstorms going on currently north of Atlanta.

Lol, it's sad when we can't even chase a good storm

lol I can't complain too much about my out of town trips since January, I've seen snow twice this winter that way and had kind of given up on seeing more honestly(even in Boston its been lame for weeks) but it would be cool to go 3 for 3 while seeing zero at home(and winter is definitely over here)

Not ruling it out yet but the trends today have definitely been bad

KATL and KBMX have had their wettest 1/1-3/2 since at least 1950! And several more inches could fall by Thursday!

Back