• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Midsouth Winter Storm January 12th-13th

Hunting in Arkansas this morning had 1” of snow on top of a layer of freezing rain. Roads were bad at 630. Driving back to N AL now. Roads in E Ark have improved hope they are ok in N MS
The roads were a sheet of ice from just east of Robinsonville MS to about 10 miles east of Corinth on Hwy 72. Saw several vehicles off the road stuck in the median or off the shoulder. Added an extra 2 hrs to my trip home. I have a short video of the road conditions but I don't know how to load it. Thank goodness for 4 wheel drive

The roads were a sheet of ice from just east of Robinsonville MS to about 10 miles east of Corinth on Hwy 72. Saw several vehicles off the road stuck in the median or off the shoulder. Added an extra 2 hrs to my trip home. I have a short video of the road conditions but I don't know how to load it. Thank goodness for 4 wheel drive
Do you have the Tapatalk app? Or you can use YouTube. And upload it to there and post he link on here.

I didn’t observe or record any frozen precip ITP, but the temps dropped so quickly behind the front that there are widespread areas of black ice on interstates & secondary roads...my deck in particular...I just got in from my local watering hole & it’s a miracle I’m not writing this post from a hospital bed. The wind helped dry some of the moisture up, but where water ponded up, it is now ice. Be safe folks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ended up with 3.5 - 4 inches of snow but I’ll need better measurements tomorrow as the wind really made some big drifts. I’ll post some daytime pictures in the morning. Now I’ll be rooting for everyone else that hasn’t scored yet to get something with the Monday night/ Tuesday system.

I didn’t observe or record any frozen precip ITP, but the temps dropped so quickly behind the front that there are widespread areas of black ice on interstates & secondary roads...my deck in particular...I just got in from my local watering hole & it’s a miracle I’m not writing this post from a hospital bed. The wind helped dry some of the moisture up, but where water ponded up, it is now ice. Be safe folks!

I didn’t observe anything either. I wasn’t expect anything aside from maybe a flurry but that didn’t even happen. All good though! At least some of our buddies got some snow in TN and MS. Did anything of note fall in AL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t observe anything either. I wasn’t expect anything aside from maybe a flurry but that didn’t even happen. All good though! At least some of our buddies got some snow in TN and MS. Did anything of note fall in AL?

Yes my area. SW Alabama

another whiff for Chattanooga... saw some snow flurries, about it. Hopefully the next 'epic' arctic front will give us a bone.

Pictures? Lol. I haven’t heard anyone report snow but you that far south. Just saying lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE didn't take pics because it was dark, but twice i had heavy flurries with a light light coating on the cars. It was so light that it barely showed up on the radar

from MRX's latest AFD:

Cold front will drop through the area on Tuesday, bringing the next
chance for precipitation. Confidence is high that this will be an
all snow event, but there`s still some model disagreement with
regards to the timing of the frontal passage and the amount of
moisture available. The GFS is a bit faster with mainly a daytime
passage on Tuesday, while the ECMWF is a bit slower with more of an
afternoon/evening frontal passage. The amount of moisture will
impact just how much snow the area will see. The drier GFS has
moisture fizzling out as the cold front approaches, and would result
in less than an inch of snow in the valley, with up to 2" at the
higher elevations of northern Plateau, Smokies, and SW Virginia. In
contrast, the slightly wetter ECMWF still has less than an inch in
the valley, but shows up to 2" along the southern plateau and the
Smokies, and up to 3" across the northern plateau and SW Virginia.
All this to say we will have to continue to monitor model trends
through the weekend.

How much moisture is currently available over the SE? Clouds have thickened up here this morning and i see some returns on Nashville and Huntsville on RadarScope. Curious to know what’s causing it?

Have not been able to post but we ended up with a 1.5 inch base of sleet with 5 inches of powder on top. Awesome event for West Tennessee. We had about 3 hours of near blizzard conditions. Very impressive.

Here’s the end result of last nights snow storm. Really got lucky with the heavy snow just parked over me while 30-50 miles south was Fluries or just dry. Usually when things aren’t looking good earlier in the day the snow doesn’t pan out but this one more then came through. It’s very hard to measure because of the near blizzard conditions last night but I’m pretty sure I’m easily over 4 inches of snow.

4126acd3e03700dd1883783b60d30e34.jpg

9d47518f70585062cb3f7caa0322a1ef.jpg

6b36c0639d8f40ef63d19aacd2d358b3.jpg

c349e65e496b1c9bad1fe21d0154521f.jpg

Back