• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May: gateway to everyone's favorite season

The mountains do wonders for these things, in a bad way if you need rain! ☹️

Not necessarily, afternoon lee trough on eastern mountains can sometimes help to redevelop/trigger convection with a pattern dominated by a 500mb ridge, especially old boundaries left over, normally you get large amounts of CAPE but such little triggering in these setups along with some Capping which is why there’s flat cumulus most of the time in summer days, outflow boundary can easily break that, especially in a THETA-E ridge, and plus the MCS/outflow boundary isn’t coming from the west, but more from the north/northwest

Not necessarily, afternoon lee trough on eastern mountains can sometimes help to redevelop/trigger convection with a pattern dominated by a 500mb ridge, especially old boundaries left over, normally you get large amounts of CAPE but such little triggering in these setups along with some Capping which is why there’s flat cumulus most of the time in summer days, outflow boundary can easily break that, especially in a THETA-E ridge, and plus the MCS/outflow boundary isn’t coming from the west, but more from the north/northwest
Couple things about tomorrow first is the initial wave that will be moving in around mid morning. That should leave behind an outflow boundary somewhere and may help to moisten the mid levels. Second is moisture return. If we can get low level moisture to move in then we certainly could see our chances increase. If we mix out or are slow to recover there is really no chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hot off the press...June/July/August map shows above normal precipitation for northern half of NC and points north. And above normal temps for everyone. NOAA

Hot off the press...June/July/August map shows above normal precipitation for northern half of NC and points north. And above normal temps for everyone. NOAA
Does it look similar to this
ce837d97c39e5c2ae9e05ae93171d050.jpg
5f195b646e5cba24ace2e34f57e4c4b6.jpg

Couple things about tomorrow first is the initial wave that will be moving in around mid morning. That should leave behind an outflow boundary somewhere and may help to moisten the mid levels. Second is moisture return. If we can get low level moisture to move in then we certainly could see our chances increase. If we mix out or are slow to recover there is really no chance.

Hrrr really shows that area with a dewpoint minimum around central/eastern NC, and gets a good flow of higher DPs around western NC/SC, soundings are actually supportive of strong single cell/multicellular storms, and a tad bit of some organization to them if they managed to develop, also supports large hail with colder 500mb temps, high LI, steep mid level lapse rates, just depends on whether they fire BCD71151-E943-4124-8193-032BA1B47DDD.jpegF2CD7B01-C6B7-487E-812B-E418CA18B368.png

Wave Friday night looks more interesting as it heads into a environment already with decent low level moisture/MUcape

#Winning , also not often you see 60+ dbz core pop up on the hrrr sim radar, could be a few nasty hailers tommorow with steep mid level lapses, soundings do support hail as big as golf balls with a little bit elevated 0-6km bulk shear AB0E7490-1AE3-48A2-A6BD-D431BC93DE93.jpeg

That slip in the mountains of NC, gonna mess up my afternoon storms 22506274-886E-40D6-8EDF-742D193EC586.png

That MCS is falling apart quickly now, I guess some boundaries and another disturbance this evening could trigger a few storms but I have my doubts..

I'm chasing in the southern Plains May 20-21, I'm really stoked about this threat. Huge boom or bust potential wrt getting discrete supercells esp w/o much of a capping inversion in place (morning clouds from the preceding day's convection could aid in keeping coverage limited however). Extremely high CAPE, deep layer and low-level shear and extremely nice hodographs, backed surface winds, w/ a ton of forcing, this could really go either way. I've seen cases like this produce anything from the coveted "string of pearls" featuring a conveyor belt of discrete, intense supercells harboring strong tornadoes to rapid evolution into a giant MCS.

This sounding wasn't contaminated by convection either... Yikes lol

A 60 KT low-level jet coupled to 4000 CAPE, 500 0-1 km SRH, 40 knots of 0-1 km shear, & low LCLs with just your everyday supercell composite of 60 & effective sig tor of 11-12.

Deer god.

nam_2019051712_084_36.28--96.82.png

I'm chasing in the southern Plains May 20-21, I'm really stoked about this threat. Huge boom or bust potential wrt getting discrete supercells esp w/o much of a capping inversion in place (morning clouds from the preceding day's convection could aid in keeping coverage limited however). Extremely high CAPE, deep layer and low-level shear and extremely nice hodographs, backed surface winds, w/ a ton of forcing, this could really go either way. I've seen cases like this produce anything from the coveted "string of pearls" featuring a conveyor belt of discrete, intense supercells harboring strong tornadoes to rapid evolution into a giant MCS.

This sounding wasn't contaminated by convection either... Yikes lol

A 60 KT low-level jet coupled to 4000 CAPE, 500 0-1 km SRH, 40 knots of 0-1 km shear, & low LCLs with just your everyday supercell composite of 60 & effective sig tor of 11-12.

Deer god.

View attachment 19607

It’s boom or bust like you said, these big troughs especially in May can be a bad thing, having to much convection development at once thus creating a MCS, 500mb pattern somewhat similar to a 1955 setup if I’m not mistaken, anyways this sounding if things remain discrete supports very violent tornadoes, definitely supports a Moore caliber tornado, definitely a decent change of wind from sfc-1km and 3km AGL

Back