• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May Flowers

Well the next outflow boundary has really started to fire up more cells in/near Chattanooga, into NW GA.. Several Severe Warned now.. Tracks may effect White County (Helen) overnight. . Then any boundaries from Western TN/KY MCS, will be the trigger for cells tomorrow... (was, rinse, repeat...lol)

Well the next outflow boundary has really started to fire up more cells in/near Chattanooga, into NW GA.. Several Severe Warned now.. Tracks may effect White County (Helen) overnight. . Then any boundaries from Western TN/KY MCS, will be the trigger for cells tomorrow... (was, rinse, repeat...lol)

Far N. GA is getting screwed today. Outflow boundaries from the storms in the upper South/Midwest is triggering new MCS to develop. It's almost like training MCS on the same areas. Wouldn't be surprised to see isolated areas of 6-10 inch 24 hour rain totals in Far N/NW GA. Flash flooding becoming a major threat now in some of those areas.

All these SR models aren't doing well with the MCSs that are developing. That one that rolled though last night wasn't picked up by the models before it hit even. Several hours of runds just invisible. Seems the case todsy as well. In a slight risk today so I'm expecting a good size storm or two later.

All these SR models aren't doing well with the MCSs that are developing. That one that rolled though last night wasn't picked up by the models before it hit even. Several hours of runds just invisible. Seems the case todsy as well. In a slight risk today so I'm expecting a good size storm or two later.

That was pretty wild last night, definitely one of the largest areas of rain that heavy I've ever seen that wasn't part of a central low pressure system.

Ended up with 10.44" of rain for the month of May at my locale, ALL in the latter half of the month.

Ended up with 10.44" of rain for the month of May at my locale, ALL in the latter half of the month.

This could easily be the heaviest rainfall your location has had in the last half of May in well over 100 years but, unfortunately, we'll obviously never know. For the ENTIRE month of May, the official Augusta record back to 1871 is only 9.61" (1979)! My bet is that if you were to stay there for, say, the next 50 years that you won't have a wetter last half of May.

Last edited:
This could easily be the heaviest rainfall your location has had in the last half of May in well over 100 years but, unfortunately, we'll obviously never know. For the ENTIRE month of May, the official Augusta record back to 1871 is only 9.61" (1979)! My bet is that if you were to stay there for, say, the next 50 years that you won't have a wetter last half of May.

My dad has actually been recording how much precip he gets for several years on calendars (temperatures since at least 2008!). I'm not exactly sure for how long, but from the way it seems, until at least back to 2005 and maybe even 2003-2004. It'd be interesting to look back some to compare to the airport's official records. Sometimes, his rain gauge does break though and I don't remember the periods where it did.

He does so because he grows vegetables and fruit though (for fun).

My dad has actually been recording how much precip he gets for several years on calendars (temperatures since at least 2008!). I'm not exactly sure for how long, but from the way it seems, until at least back to 2005 and maybe even 2003-2004. It'd be interesting to look back some to compare to the airport's official records. Sometimes, his rain gauge does break though and I don't remember the periods where it did.

He does so because he grows vegetables and fruit though (for fun).

The Augusta official May, 2018, came in at an impressive 8.21", which is more than double the normal of 3.23" and 3rd highest on record back to 1871. Only 1979's 9.61" and 1873's 8.63" were higher.

KATL: May of 2018 comes in at 74.8, which is the warmest on record at KATL since records started in 1879 (5 warmer than normal) and joins Feb as warmest months on record in 2018 so far.

Back to 1950, May of 2018 came in with the highest nationally averaged cooling degree days as well as lowest heating degree days on record for any May. The only cooler than normal were in S FL and the Southern Calif. coast.

Warmest May on record for Rah..... good riddance!
No kidding. The storms rolling east in the western Piedmont right now should be interesting. Looks like they are shooting out outflow and redeveloping as they move east.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No kidding. The storms rolling east in the western Piedmont right now should be interesting. Looks like they are shooting out outflow and redeveloping as they move east.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
They are still holding together quite nicely, still shooting out nice outflow boundary and building East but for me they still have a long ways to go don't think they make it here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Charleston, SC, ended up with a record wettest May of 10.62", beating the old record of 9.28" of 1957. But that's not the whole story. They had over 10" in just the 2nd half of May, which itself was enough for the new record! What a wet 2nd half of May for much of the SE US, the likes of which could easily not occur again for decades to come.

Only 3.32 inches for May here in Chattanooga... slightly BN. We got the soggy and humid part, just not the serious flooding rains. The Tennessee River is very high right now here, so upstream and in the mountains obviously got a lot more rain. Temps ended up way above normal, at 6.2. With a very long string of 65+ lows for the second half of the month. We'll probably achieve a low early this week not seen since May 13... upper 50s to near 60.

Back