• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 25-27th possible severe weather

Was making more of a global comment aimed across the board ... and I personally do appreciate your reply, input and overall dedication ... ;)

I’m gonna be honest, I use to look forward to severe wx until April 2011 then over time kinda looked forward to it again but then that rotation last year that passed over my area and ended up hitting GSO scared the crap outa me, it wasn’t even that strong but the wind and rain really spooked me, I actually felt fear right there, never gonna forget it, I got lucky it didn’t hit my house becuase it cycled and gained strength and ended up hitting Greensboro as a EF2

Storm chaser like me like severe... I am big fan of severe ... starting studying severe when I was really young age... but never wish direct hit ... this spring looks like a violent one shaping up for what I’m seeing down the road
You are honest, and that's golden ... but if someone gets hit, and since you are a big fan, maybe you'll go help out ... and maybe once you see a corpse or two, the idea may change ... just sayin' in a very friendly way ... ;)

Storm chaser like me like severe... I am big fan of severe ... starting studying severe when I was really young age... but never wish direct hit ... this spring looks like a violent one shaping up for what I’m seeing down the road

You never wish for a direct hit, but what about your neighbors? Life is typically already difficult without severe wx impacting someone. And this has nothing to do with wishing for it making it more likely because that obviously doesn't. What it does have to do with is that it sounds cold to openly wish for it at all since you're openly wishing for something whose mere existence increases the chance for casualties and damage.

Last edited:
If i want any sort of thunderstorms, it’s your average summer storms, some have nice shelfies with them and 90% of the time no shear to spin things up, just a cool outflow then a cooling barrage of rain drops to cool down the day and keep the grass green

Actually, it would be fair to also say wishing for just about any kind of wx such as wintry precip and cold is cold since those can lead to damage and casualties, themselves, even though not violent and not nearly the most dangerous. Even if not, they can lead to inconvenience/discomfort/higher heating bills. Therefore, since I don’t hide my wanting those, I could be said to be equally guilty/a bit of a hypocrite.
Fair enough. This can be tricky. Therefore, I probably would be best to say no more about this even though I don’t root for severe.

Actually, it would be fair to also say wishing for just about any kind of wx such as wintry precip and cold is cold since those can lead to damage and casualties, themselves, even though not violent and not nearly the most dangerous. Even if not, they can lead to inconvenience/discomfort/higher heating bills. Therefore, since I don’t hide my wanting those, I could be said to be equally guilty/a bit of a hypocrite.
Fair enough. This can be tricky. Therefore, I probably would be best to say no more about this even though I don’t root for severe.
Larry,
There are ways to stay warm, even in a bad ice storm; but with severe (or a 'Cane) it's the instantaneous and largley unanticipated immediacy of a child not seeing dad, or vice versa, ever again in a split second, or a mom holding a badly injured elderly parent, or you paint the picture in a flash of an eye, that causes concern when someone "wants" severe ...
Phil

Larry,
There are ways to stay warm, even in a bad ice storm; but with severe (or a 'Cane) it's the instantaneous and largley unanticipated immediacy of a child not seeing dad, or vice versa, ever again in a split second, or a mom holding a badly injured elderly parent, or you paint the picture in a flash of an eye, that causes concern when someone "wants" severe ...
Phil

I don't know, Phil. This can be slippery, no pun intended. Like you, I really hate it when someone openly roots for severe/hurricanes. It really sounds awful and quite selfish. But what about, for example, a traffic accident on an icy road that can immediately take the lives of a mom, dad, child, or whomever? Or what about a big ice-ladened tree limb coming down on someone and killing them?
I think we have to be careful about what we say if we don't want to be called hyprocrites to some extent, especially since I don't think either of us is going to stop rooting for wintry/cold.

**Edited for tree limb.

**This part of the discussion may need to be moved to banter.

I don't know, Phil. This can be slippery, no pun intended. Like you, I really hate it when someone openly roots for severe/hurricanes. It really sounds awful and quite selfish. But what about, for example, a traffic accident on an icy road that can immediately take the lives of a mom, dad, child, or whomever? Or what about a big ice-ladened tree limb coming down on someone and killing them?
I think we have to be careful about what we say if we don't want to be called hyprocrites to some extent, especially since I don't think either of us is going to stop rooting for wintry/cold.

**Edited for tree limb.

**This part of the discussion may need to be moved to banter.
Larry,
One can drive safely or decide it's better not to drive; one cannot sit in a house and safely waive away an F-2; I see that as the difference ...

Larry,
One can drive safely or decide it's better not to drive; one cannot sit in a house and safely waive away an F-2; I see that as the difference ...

I largely agree with you, believe me, and I’m admittedly getting kind of technical. But what about an ice-ladened tree that comes crashing through a roof or someone driving from elsewhere where it is just a cold rain unknowingly into where the plain rain becomes ZR?

Larry,
Larry,
Phil
Well IMO, Severe is the hardest to avoid injury or death from. Even with the April 27, 2011 outbreak being forecast far in advance, it is so often the "meso influences" that determines where the worst will be. Also, again IMO, there is virtually no reason for deaths in the USA as a direct result of Tropical systems in coastal areas. Forecast well in advance, notifications go out, and folks have the opportunity to "get out of the way"..

I largely agree with you, believe me, and I’m admittedly getting kind of technical. But what about an ice-ladened tree that comes crashing through a roof or someone driving from elsewhere where it is just a cold rain unknowingly into where the plain rain becomes ZR?
Then I guess God called him or her ... and I suppose you can say that for severe, but I'm rooting for neither ... best I can say ... Phil

Back