• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

I mean this is pretty scary on the face of it.....2K+SCAPE in this setup should be pretty damn bad.....

View attachment 79582

Stuff like this is why sticking with moderate for parts of ENC was a good idea, and why calling bust at like 4 am on the day of the event is probably a bad idea. I mean maybe it will, but it's still early and the potential is obviously still there.

I know we've seen our share of cold rain, but Id rather be under that classic mushroom top like Indiana is than dealing with this.

Any hope that the Triangle undergoes that classic split we sometimes see from storms going across the foothills and breaking up into 2 squall lines?

I have to agree w/ @Myfrotho704_ this setup in the Carolinas today feels a lot more like a south-central Plains pre-frontal dry line than a traditional cold front.

Notice the lower dewpoints surge well out ahead of the main cold front closer to the axis of storms on models like the HRRR later this afternoon.

1616080268470.png

1616080285340.png

1616080300811.png

SPC has recently added a new product to their new mesoanalysis page (0-500m SRH). One of my colleagues at NC State has done work on this for his MS thesis and found it is a better predictor of tornadoes than 0-1km SRH. 0-500m SRH values of 200 m2/s2 strongly favors tornadoes, esp strong ones. It's something to watch over the course of today

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.55.51 AM.png

Look at the backing along the CAD boundary, esp at the SFCView attachment 79593View attachment 79594

Yep, this is exactly why there's a secondary max in tornado frequencies over the I-85 corridor apart from the "Carolina Alley" we've come to know in the Coastal Plain region. The enhanced vortical stretching off the mountains and retreating CAD locally enhance horizontal baroclinicity and the creation + pooling of relative vorticity that favors tornadogenesis in places like Charlotte-Greensboro. These tornadoes traditionally tend to be weaker/shorter-lived than those further east.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.23.57 AM.png

72 with a dewpoint of 68 currently at my place in Newport :oops:
42dfce0f00fbde5701928cc88bd0be6d.jpg

Back