• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Man, talk about a GOM hurricane running on high octane. Michael just won't quit.:eek:
goes16_ir_14L_201810101203.jpg

I really hope local officials make the right calls regarding various activities, schools, etc. in NC because hurricane Michael will not just roll over and die when it comes inland given the baroclinic support it'll have at its disposal. Overall impacts may actually be more severe than Florence for those outside the southern coastal plain and NW of I-95 in NC.

I really hope local officials make the right calls regarding various activities, schools, etc. in NC because hurricane Michael will not just roll over and die when it comes inland given the baroclinic support it'll have at its disposal. Overall impacts may actually be more severe than Florence for those outside the southern coastal plain and NW of I-95 in NC.

Yeah I'm noticing the models are picking up on some baroclinic enhancement on the west side of the storm. The 3km NAM has a band of 65-75mph winds rotating through places like Raleigh. The Euro was showing 60-70mph and the GFS 50-65mph in this backside band so there seems to be good agreement for winds gusting 50-70mph on west side of Michael in NC. They've also been trending stronger with this band and from what I've heard, locals in places like Raleigh are only saying winds gusting 30-40mph at best... if true that's really bad because very few will be prepared for it.

Looks to be taking a NE jog in the last few frames. Let's see if it continues to hook right, or straighten back north a bit.

Looks to be taking a NE jog in the last few frames. Let's see if it continues to hook right, or straighten back north a bit.
All along I;ve been "cheering" for this storm to get East of Panama City, and all along it's been toeing the line. It's going to have to turn quickly at this point. I hope you're right about an eastern component beginning, but I'm afraid it's too far north to miss PC.

Yeah, I am thinking schools might be closed again tomorrow. Might not be the rain this time like Florence, but the winds here could be worse than with Flo.

Back