• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Local TV Station Experiment

MBell

"The Man"
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA (Visiting Douglasville, GA 12/23)
In the Atlanta Market CBS 46 claims they are the most accurate (reality says they are the most unprofessional...but that's neither here nor there) which is laughable at best as well as the other stations all claim to be the most accurate. I want to do a several week long accuracy rating on each station and see who actually is the best. What do you guys think would be the best way to track this and calculate points for it? I just really want to see who is more accurate....

In the Atlanta Market CBS 46 claims they are the most accurate (reality says they are the most unprofessional...but that's neither here nor there) which is laughable at best as well as the other stations all claim to be the most accurate. I want to do a several week long accuracy rating on each station and see who actually is the best. What do you guys think would be the best way to track this and calculate points for it? I just really want to see who is more accurate....
I would go by classifying everything they do or don't say in short, medium, and long range. Keep track of them at least twice a day, morning and evening, and then after the duration look at what really happened and how much they flipped on their word. Keep track of who reported it too because each person reports differently .

Every news channel in ATL says they are the best tracking the weather.

Yeah, but the difference is it's apart of their actual weather branding, the other stations it's not. Just to be a little fair to WGCL-TV/CBS 46 when they say accurate their forecast just has to be within 3 degrees of the actual recorded high/low so it's pretty easy to say you're the "most accurate" if that's the way you calculate accuracy. There is one thing I like about their weather forecasts, they donate money to various charities/organizations in the city. I just don't watch enough to know if they donate when they get it right (within 3 degrees) or get it wrong or both. ForsythSnow is right, take into consideration some of these TV mets aren't certified, they're just weather presenters reading from teleprompters. Although Paul Ossman and Ella Dorsey from CBS46 are certified meteorologists.

Btw, doesn't WXIA-TV/11 Alive already grade themselves on their weather forecasts? I remember seeing something like that before earlier this year.

Yeah, but the difference is it's apart of their actual weather branding, the other stations it's not. Just to be a little fair to WGCL-TV/CBS 46 when they say accurate their forecast just has to be within 3 degrees of the actual recorded high/low so it's pretty easy to say you're the "most accurate" if that's the way you calculate accuracy. There is one thing I like about their weather forecasts, they donate money to various charities/organizations in the city. I just don't watch enough to know if they donate when they get it right (within 3 degrees) or get it wrong or both. ForsythSnow is right, take into consideration some of these TV mets aren't certified, they're just weather presenters reading from teleprompters. Although Paul Ossman and Ella Dorsey from CBS46 are certified meteorologists.

Btw, doesn't WXIA-TV/11 Alive already grade themselves on their weather forecasts? I remember seeing something like that before earlier this year.

Not that I am aware of? They have the wizometer but that has nothing to do with forecast accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back