• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Lack of Access to Climavision XBand Radars

Reaction score
Several years back Climavision installed 3 X Band radars in North Carolina to fill in the gaps where NWS Radar coverage is not good at lower altitudes near the surface. At that time an individual I spoke with indicated there were some plans to make the radar feed available in RadarScope as an add on subscription (similar to Allison House).

More than a year had passed with no response to follow up inquiries or phone calls.

I finally had a call back this morning from Climavision and they now say they have no intention to make the imagery feed available to the public or private individuals through subscription and that their market is for private investor research only. The individual that called was rather caviler and condescending about it.

At least in Western NC the feed was purchased by WBTV however they only use it in a larger mosaic product and these days no one watches TV anymore.

I assume there still is no plans for the NWS to install an additional Doppler Radar in the Salisbury area as was once discussed?

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Follow Up: I spoke with a reliable source late yesterday that indicated there will be 3 S-Band State of North Carolina owned radars to be installed in the following areas awaiting budgetary approval from the State of North Carolina:

Near Salisbury NC
Near Asheville NC in the French Broad River Valley
One on the coast where a radar gap exists

These will not be NWS owned radars and will be operated and maintained by UNC-Asheville.

There is a plan for public data access, however I do not know if it will be through Radarscope or some other method.

Back