• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern June Presented by: Heat and Humidity

Disappointed as heck, still no good lightning shots since late April, got shafted today, I’m getting pissed, lol watch me go to work Next week then things happen

I don't understand what's with Charlotte in the summer. This happens in more cases than not. Raleigh always gets good summertime convection. I guess the Lee trough force wasn't enough for some decent outflow boundaries. SUCKS!

Getting one of the most classic summer time severe thunderstorms through and through here in APEX ... great developing wall cloud with blue tint rolls over our skies and drops hail high winds and waves of heavy rain .. decent lightning and deep loud rolls of thunder along with monsoon rains remain .. streets easily flooding now with I’m assuming extremely high rainfall rates

Would not be shocked if we stay dry here the rest of the summer. It happened in 1993.

Are you F-ing kidding me?

f7f4831aa33c2258f9c92d3fc9b040bd.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte screw zone incoming... Raleigh always seems to do better in these setups.
While I don’t understand the mechanisms behind it best, but Raleigh is wetter and stormier a bit than Charlotte in summer. Further east and south you are the bigger the summer precip maximum is, further west and north less.

81-10 RDU precip J/J/A 12.51

81-10 CLT precip J/J/A 11.64

The difference is really pronounced where Raleigh peaks at almost 5 inches in July where as Charlotte is at a minimum for the summer under 4 inches in July. 91-20 is really interesting the summer precip maximum is much more pronounced in Raleigh which goes along with a warming world . Also, looking at other stations around Raleigh seems RDU is a bit of a dry spot , most in the triangle seem to average 45-46 inches of rain annually whereas RDU is 43.

Raleigh is also more humid and a bit hotter than Charlotte , plus higher dews here.

While I don’t understand the mechanisms behind it best, but Raleigh is wetter and stormier a bit than Charlotte in summer. Further east and south you are the bigger the summer precip maximum is, further west and north less.

81-10 RDU precip J/J/A 12.51

81-10 CLT precip J/J/A 11.64

The difference is really pronounced where Raleigh peaks at almost 5 inches in July where as Charlotte is at a minimum for the summer under 4 inches in July. 91-20 is really interesting the summer precip maximum is much more pronounced in Raleigh which goes along with a warming world . Also, looking at other stations around Raleigh seems RDU is a bit of a dry spot , most in the triangle seem to average 45-46 inches of rain annually whereas RDU is 43.

Raleigh is also more humid and a bit hotter than Charlotte , plus higher dews here.
Raleigh averages more snow though

Raleigh averages more snow though
Yes , it does! That is despite being a little warmer in winter though . That is another thing that baffles me , I think it has to do with more boom or bust . Raleigh has a greater potential for big snowfall events because we are closer to the coast perhaps? I know for example places west of the apps are much colder in winter relative to places along the same latitude that are east of the apps .

Nashville for example is around 5 degrees colder in winter than Raleigh but averages the same amount of snowfall . However , Nashville also averages double the snowfall days that Raleigh does. Your more likely to see snow in Nashville but the snow in Raleigh is likely to be of a greater amount .

That happens here a lot. If there is a way for us to miss rain it always happens. No real chance now for a long time either.
We all have just about daily chances all week next week. No need to worry

Yes , it does! That is despite being a little warmer in winter though . That is another thing that baffles me , I think it has to do with more boom or bust . Raleigh has a greater potential for big snowfall events because we are closer to the coast perhaps? I know for example places west of the apps are much colder in winter relative to places along the same latitude that are east of the apps .

Nashville for example is around 5 degrees colder in winter than Raleigh but averages the same amount of snowfall . However , Nashville also averages double the snowfall days that Raleigh does. Your more likely to see snow in Nashville but the snow in Raleigh is likely to be of a greater amount .
Yeah I think the wedge takes some precip out of the equation a lot of times compared to west of here. But I still rather have the wedge or would never be cold enough.

Back