• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

FFC used to be very conservative, so i guess the 2014 event has made them be a little more aggressive. They are saying 1 to 2 inches, but if I had to guess I would say a dusting to 1 inch is more likely based on the models i've seen with an isolated 2" in some spots.

Also Dec 17 those models definitely undercooked the totals... everyone should be paying close attention the the next few WRF and NAM runs

If Super Bowl week and it's activities wasn't this week, it might have been a while longer before they did something. But WWAs are only for 1 day, you can't issue them in advance. Best to issue this heads up with more people being in town.

My guess is eventually they go to a WWA outside of the mountains and the area where they feel most confident about possibly reaching 2". Last night I would have said that a WSW was possible for the far NW GA counties, but now I'm not sure where that 2" area is going to be.

Edit: We're seeing why some of us wanted the potential winter storm even closer to the Super Bowl lmfao. It'd be a guaranteed mess, as it is I'll probably pull up the traffic map anyway to look around Mercedes Benz in Atlanta.

Edit2: Maybe they don't need to issue just a watch, given that the middle Tennessee NWS just did a WWA.

You can clearly see the cold front with the higher returns on the NAM, likely going to have a stronger signal as we get closer 0B197F80-9DF1-45C6-9747-C47678B47233.jpeg

FFC used to be very conservative, so i guess the 2014 event has made them be a little more aggressive. They are saying 1 to 2 inches, but if I had to guess I would say a dusting to 1 inch is more likely based on the models i've seen with an isolated 2" in some spots.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone post so much about an area that they don’t live in anymore. We get it you use to live in the southeast but you are clearly not rooting for the home team to win anymore. As for weather I am now under a winter weather advisory also but models haven’t trended good at all up here so my expectations are very low.

Shelby county airport(eet) has a mean right at 2in and a 6.95 boom. That 28 miles almost due west of mby.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

For those comparing this to the 2014 event, keep in mind that in 2014 we had the artic air in place for a few days prior to the precip. The road surfaces were well below freezing so it was "instant stick" rather than the "normal slush time". Also, Metro Atl school systems have set up coordination for early school release so that should help also with traffic (fingers crossed)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone post so much about an area that they don’t live in anymore. We get it you use to live in the southeast but you are clearly not rooting for the home team to win anymore. As for weather I am now under a winter weather advisory also but models haven’t trended good at all up here so my expectations are very low.
Excuse me for giving my opinion. Just because I am being conservative doesn't mean I am not rooting for the home team. Maybe I should change my forecast to 2-4" just to make you happy.

For those comparing this to the 2014 event, keep in mind that in 2014 we had the artic air in place for a few days prior to the precip. The road surfaces were well below freezing so it was "instant stick" rather than the "normal slush time". Also, Metro Atl school systems have set up coordination for early school release so that should help also with traffic (fingers crossed)
Yep you are so right. The roads were much colder back in 2014 so I don't see it being as big of a problem this time. But still there will be issues.

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back