• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Historic wx

EastAtlwx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
im not a very articulate person... but this thread is dedicated for us to reflect on past weather events. Our goal is not only to admire them, but to understand and
learn from them. Ill start off with the February 1973 Southern Snow Storm. The storm is really hard to fathom considering the amount of snow in places where snow
is rare. 

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/NOAATECHEDSNCC2free.pdf   -> tons of information about the storm

EastAtlwx said:
im not a very articulate person... but this thread is dedicated for us to reflect on past weather events. Our goal is not only to admire them, but to understand and
learn from them. Ill start off with the February 1973 Southern Snow Storm. The storm is really hard to fathom considering the amount of snow in places where snow
is rare. 

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/NOAATECHEDSNCC2free.pdf   -> tons of information about the storm

Always open to this piece of history repeating itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see some information on the historical icestorm of 1973.

I'd like to note something about that big snow down here in 1973.

In Columbia, the temperatures were in the 60s and 70s leading up to the event. Less than a week after the event, the 80s came.

Just saying. These "warmups" like what we're seeing now aren't always indicative of what will happen in the near future.

I would also like to note, that earlier in Jan that year, Columbia got a decent snow also. The same dates as the last event had it unfolded this year around these parts.

The Climatic Data report linked above also mentions snowstorms before the modern era.

Georgia:

1740 December 6 GEORGIA
"At Savannah, 4 or 5 inches of snow was left by the storm that began in early morning and ended
about 10:00 A.M. It melted by noon."

1771 December GEORGIA
"In Savannah, a cold rain changed to sleet, then snow, and the ground remained icy for two or
three days. "

1775 December 23 - 25 GEORGIA AND SOUTH CAROLINA
"In Western South Carolina on the Reedy River, it snowed without stopping for 30 hours, covering
the ground about 2 feet deep. Near Winston-Salem, the snow was one and a half feet deep. In
Georgia it was said to be generally 18 inches deep. Troops taking part in the Revolutionary War
campaigns in the area marched in snow for up to 7 days." 

1800 January 9 - 10 GEORGIA, FLORIDA AND SOUTH CAROLINA
"This storm seemed to have left the greatest amounts ever reported in the region. At Savannah
the snow was 16 to 18 inches deep on the level and 3 feet deep in drifts. There were 6 to 7 inches
near Berkeley, South Carolina. Five inches fell on the Florida-Georgia border near the mouth
of St. Mary' s River." 

1803 February 15 - 16 GEORGIA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND NORTH CAROLINA
"At Savannah on February 15, "a considerable fall" occurred At Salem, North Carolina, it fell
12 to 18 inches deep; at Raleigh, North Carolina, 18 inches to 2 feet."

1837 March 4 GEORGIA AND SOUTH CAROLINA
"At Savannah, 8 to 12 inches of snow fell; at Charleston, 2 inches." 

1857 January 17 - 19 GEORGIA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND NORTH CAROLINA
"Amounts in South Carolina were 6 inches at Spartanburg, 2.5 at Aiken, In Georgia, Athens had 8
inches and Augusta, 2. Coastal locations had less than one inch. In North Carolina, there was a
belt through the central and northern counties. Chapel Hill reported 12 to 15 inches; Weldon,
16 inches; Gaston, 22; and Murfreesboro, 10." 

Source: https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/NOAATECHEDSNCC2free.pdf

Regarding the 1973 event, here is a list of several videos:

1) Macon, GA homemade ~

2) Sumter, SC homemade ~

3) News report SCETV ~

4) Pensacola, FL ~

I experienced the 2/1973 snowstorm even here in SAV with 3.2" of snowfall measured officially at the airport. That is still the 3rd heaviest on record for that station. I woke up to it having no idea it was coming. It was fantastic though we didn't get to miss school since it was on a Saturday morning.

Greatest storm I've ever experienced - Jan 1978:
Screen_Shot_2017_01_27_at_2_55_25_PM.png

Back