• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
His name is Lonely Doug, he is a Douglas fir tree estimated to be 1000yrs old and about 80m tall. He stands alone in an area of virgin forest that was cut in 2012. About 90% of the virgin forest on Vancouver Island has been logged, really from the 1950’s to now, we saw active logging sites on our way to see him, it’s sobering and a hot button political issue here now.E24EC83C-11A5-4E89-BFDE-28C62A06ED20.jpeg58D2F407-8ADF-45BA-802A-95433811CB7A.jpeg03B96954-3505-4E14-BAB8-37F83A304DB5.jpegF3144FAE-0683-4386-945F-4C9E0A845C5A.png

Attachments

• A3481E90-2AB5-4E39-B632-1E648E2149ED.png
    A3481E90-2AB5-4E39-B632-1E648E2149ED.png
    306 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
His name is Lonely Doug, he is a Douglas fir tree estimated to be 1000yrs old and about 80m tall. He stands alone in an area of virgin forest that was cut in 2012. About 90% of the virgin forest on Vancouver Island has been logged, really from the 1950’s to now, we saw active logging sites on our way to see him, it’s sobering and a hot button political issue here now.View attachment 96317View attachment 96323View attachment 96324View attachment 96324View attachment 96325View attachment 96326
I saw a story on that just last month . What a lucky man you are to stand in front of that tree. People have been camping in the trees there , literally camping high up in them to prevent loggers from cutting them down . With 90% of the virgins cut down it’s time to stop . The last 10% should not be allowed to be touched . The forests of the Carolina once towered like that as well, now virgin forests with truly towering trees are limited . People have no idea just how a proper forest looks lol.

Your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons before preaching to everyone else and making grand proclamations of deep and settled knowledge. You might have papers, but you lack wisdom and humility, and you thereby end up hindering the change you're fighting for.
I take issue with this. "You lack wisdom and humility" doesn't really tell me anything useful about what we know concerning global climate change. I mean honestly how does this discussion turn into "your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons"??
Even if the world's warming, so frickin what? No scientist worth his salt considers it an existential crisis. So why turn the world upside down? Let the word be. Besides, the biggest threat to the environment has never been global warming and has always been habitat fragmentation as a result of development. Habitat fragmentation makes ecosystems far more susceptible to any changes in the climate. The Outerbanks have been eroding quickly and millions upon millions keep getting poured in every single year, that erosion is a result of natural cycles disrupted by the presence of permanent structures.
I'll tell you right now as someone w/ a bio degree, put simply: warming the earth in as quick of a time period as is currently happening is very, very bad. You cannot sit here and not care about that. I mean, I guess you can, but it's just a reflection of how ignorant you are.
It would probably be worth your time investing a couple of brain cells into humility!
This is such a stupid take. Again, "humility" goes so far when you actually don't even know what you're talking about. Read the damn IPCC report. If you've got an issue with it, provide receipts i.e. come prepared w/ valid sources to dispute the claims.

What? These 20 somethings are woke and know everything about everything without ever having a real job, responsibilities, wife, kids, bills etc…
Lol again, such a painfully bad (and tired) take. This has literally nothing to do with AGW. I can say the same about you. "These people on these weather forums think they know everything about climate change without actually going to school for it, studying, publishing papers, etc."
Well its your generation that operates by fear. I'm sure back in 1805 the scientists of the day were sure of certain things to only be rectified after their deaths.
See: The Red Scare

It's genuinely so sad to see so much hatred against those actually devoting their lives to science. You go into the field, you learn, you do your studies, you work hard, you publish your findings, only for a group of people to tell you you're WRONG and that it's their OPINION and that the young people don't know what real responsibilities are and don't know what living life is like and it's just.... wow. Unbelievable.

I'll tell you this from the perspective of healthcare, especially as a student: You can have all your disagreements with how a certain provider may practice their medicine, but if you do, you best come armed to the teeth with literature.

Same thing I imagine goes for meteorology and climatology. I'm not going to sit here and argue with credentialed professionals who know more than I do on how to interpret the data. Being skeptic is okay, but be skeptic w/in reason

There were some pretty awful posts in the last page or so of this thread that honestly had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread, which is climate change. I thought this was supposed to be a learning thread? Instead some have turned it into a belittling one.

You're making a straw man argument, unless you are just arguing what you think the majority of people everywhere think. And even then, it's speculation. I don't think anyone here is advocating burning fossils fuels as fast as can be done to make all life on the earth extinct. I think most people are reasonable about the issue and would support a change to renewables.

The problem is, there's a new boogie man with climate change every couple of years. Dire predictions or one kind or another. Massive sea level rises that never come. Mass extinction events that haven't happened yet. Irreparable planetary changes. It's not the degree of warming, it's the rate of warming. After that, it will be the type of warming. After that, it will be the scale of warming. After that, it will be how you spell warming.

Media and politicians are so hypocritical on the topic that they have no credibility left. The fear mongering, just like with Covid, WMDs in Iraq, etc. has become transparent and is being exposed for what it is. Most people can be reasonable and won't push back against reasonable information or reasonable suggestions. But when you cry wolf long enough, you're going to get push-back and skepticism.

And when you cleverly try to end debate by claiming the science is settled on every issue, people are going to call BS, and rightly so. And you've just effectively flushed your cause right down the drain, even if it's a cause worth fighting for.

Your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons before preaching to everyone else and making grand proclamations of deep and settled knowledge. You might have papers, but you lack wisdom and humility, and you thereby end up hindering the change you're fighting for.
This post is ignorant on so many levels I really don’t know where to begin & for the most part, save the 2nd paragraph, it’s completely off topic. I’ll certainly give it to you though, you’re pretty talented at that

What? These 20 somethings are woke and know everything about everything without ever having a real job, responsibilities, wife, kids, bills etc…
Again this post is completely off topic not to mention also pretty ignorant and out of touch with reality. In case it didn’t occur to you, most people in their 20s (including myself) already have most of those things and it has done nothing to move the needle on their opinions (gasp!? They couldn’t possibly have a different opinion from you!??) I have a real job, bills, insurance, responsibilities, & none of that has changed my opinion whatsoever on climate change and I seriously doubt it’ll move Nicky’s. If you’ve noticed a common theme in the last few pages of this thread, most of those who understand the threat posed by climate change are educated on meteorology and climate science. Try doing the same and see if your perspective doesn’t change (& before you or anyone else here says something ignorant about it, the change of perspectives has nothing to do with indoctrination ?)

Last edited:
Well its your generation that operates by fear. I'm sure back in 1805 the scientists of the day were sure of certain things to only be rectified after their deaths.

Last I checked it wasn’t 1805. Do you have any idea how far the field of meteorology has come since then, let alone in the last few decades? (Im assuming you probably don’t )

Last edited:
It’s an important subject that y’all’s generation likes to completely ignore and you’ll say you aren’t ignoring the issue but then not believe all of the science against your claims. It’s risky behavior that will unfortunately cause terrible ramifications your grand children and our children will have to pay the price for
This ^. Don’t expect the uninformed and uneducated (on this issue) older generation to ever be able to fully comprehend climate change. It’s obvious from the posts in this thread that they would love nothing more than to pass this burgeoning issue down to their kids, grand kids, & great grandchildren

Sounds good Greta Thunberg

Are ever you going to post something of actual substance in this thread or use it to post one-liners to belittle other posters? Pretty sure when I checked the title of this thread it said “learning”. Don’t see the learning in hurling insults at others

I take issue with this. "You lack wisdom and humility" doesn't really tell me anything useful about what we know concerning global climate change. I mean honestly how does this discussion turn into "your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons"??

I'll tell you right now as someone w/ a bio degree, put simply: warming the earth in as quick of a time period as is currently happening is very, very bad. You cannot sit here and not care about that. I mean, I guess you can, but it's just a reflection of how ignorant you are.

This is such a stupid take. Again, "humility" goes so far when you actually don't even know what you're talking about. Read the damn IPCC report. If you've got an issue with it, provide receipts i.e. come prepared w/ valid sources to dispute the claims.

Lol again, such a painfully bad (and tired) take. This has literally nothing to do with AGW. I can say the same about you. "These people on these weather forums think they know everything about climate change without actually going to school for it, studying, publishing papers, etc."

See: The Red Scare

It's genuinely so sad to see so much hatred against those actually devoting their lives to science. You go into the field, you learn, you do your studies, you work hard, you publish your findings, only for a group of people to tell you you're WRONG and that it's their OPINION and that the young people don't know what real responsibilities are and don't know what living life is like and it's just.... wow. Unbelievable.
Of course you take issue with it. That's what one does when one lacks wisdom and humility. The fact that you couldn't easily understand what it meant within the context of my post (along with Webberweather53) is what makes people reluctant to trust anything you all have to say on the topic. How can you be trusted to understand and then articulate a complex topic like climate change when you can't even understand a simple concept like shouting down anyone who disagrees with you makes you look like a jackass and undermines your credibility? Seems pretty easy to me. I mean look at your first post here. You bust in all angry like someone just took a dump in your swimming pool.

Like I said before, I can't speak for the others that post here, but I don't believe climate change is a hoax or anything of the sort. But I do believe it's being used as a political tool to do what governments always do...expand their reach, increase their power, and create division among people. I fully support taking care of the environment and transitioning away from fossils fuels. But I'm not going to be frightened, played, or coerced to follow a religion that continually changes along the way. If you want to, fine. But don't call yourself a scientist and then turn around and close yourself off to alternate points of view, shout a few expletives, and then storm out of the room. That's not how science works. But you already know that.

Last edited:
This ^. Don’t expect the uninformed and uneducated (on this issue) older generation to ever be able to fully comprehend climate change. It’s obvious from the posts in this thread that they would love nothing more than to pass this burgeoning issue down to their kids, grand kids, & great grandchildren
This is off topic, fyi

Of course you take issue with it. That's what one does when one lacks wisdom and humility. The fact that you couldn't easily understand what it meant within the context of my post (along with Webberweather53) is what makes people reluctant to trust anything you all have to say on the topic. How can you be trusted to understand and then articulate a complex topic like climate change when you can't even understand a simple concept like shouting down anyone who disagrees with you makes you look like a jackass and undermines your credibility? Seems pretty easy to me. I mean look at your first post here. You bust in all angry like someone just took a dump in your swimming pool.

Like I said before, I can't speak for the others that post here, but I don't believe climate change is a hoax or anything of the sort. But I do believe it's being used as a political tool to do what governments always do...expand their reach, increase their power, and create division among people. I fully support taking care of the environment and transitioning away from fossils fuels. But I'm not going to be frightened, played, or coerced to follow a religion that continually changes along the way. If you want to, fine. But don't call yourself a scientist and then turn around and close yourself off to alternate points of view, shout a few expletives, and then storm out of the room. That's not how science works. But y I u already know that.
In regards to your last paragraph, most in here agree with this sentiment, even many of us so called "deniers" or whatever term of endearment gets used to describe us. I've not read many, if any, comments stating it's a hoax or we don't care, do we question some of the data supporting AGW, absolutely and there really shouldn't be anything wrong with that. I know you and I know you believe we all should be good stewards of this planet we've been blessed with, but if you don't adhere to the extreme alarmist view, or don't have the proper degrees, your POV is dismissed entirely.

Like I said before, I can't speak for the others that post here, but I don't believe climate change is a hoax or anything of the sort. But I do believe it's being used as a political tool to do what governments always do...expand their reach, increase their power, and create division among people. I fully support taking care of the environment and transitioning away from fossils fuels. But I'm not going to be frightened, played, or coerced to follow a religion that continually changes along the way. If you want to, fine. But don't call yourself a scientist and then turn around and close yourself off to alternate points of view, shout a few expletives, and then storm out of the room. That's not how science works. But you already know that.
Shouting down anyone who disagrees with you? No you mean belittling other meteorologists who have spent most of their entire lives studying a topic you pretend to know something about.

Shouting down anyone who disagrees with you? No you mean belittling other meteorologists who have spent most of their entire lives studying a topic you pretend to know something about.
When did I belittle a meteorologist for spending their entire life researching climate change? Go find the post. I'll wait.

Thanks for proving his point

In regards to your last paragraph, most in here agree with this sentiment, even many of us so called "deniers" or whatever term of endearment gets used to describe us. I've not read many, if any, comments stating it's a hoax or we don't care, do we question some of the data supporting AGW, absolutely and there really shouldn't be anything wrong with that. I know you and I know you believe we all should be good stewards of this planet we've been blessed with, but if you don't adhere to the extreme alarmist view, or don't have the proper degrees, your POV is dismissed entirely.

I hate to break it to you but if you don’t think AGW is a legitimately serious issue at this point then you are in fact a denier. Notice that most deniers like yourself and cold rain don’t have any expertise in meteorology and haven’t been educated on the subject, that’s not surprising. Neither of you really understand it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back