• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever considered that your opinion is factually and utterly wrong.

Globally-averaged sea level rises a few mm every single year. A few mm a year doesn't sound like a lot but over decades, hundreds and thousands of years, it threatens tens of millions that live near coastlines and forces them to adapt or perish. Again, that's the issue w/ AGW, it's not the actual temperatures themselves, but the rate of change that is concerning and sea level rise is accelerating due to thermal expansion of the ocean as a hydrostatic response to warming and melting land ice. (Sea ice melt actually doesn't have this effect, at least not directly, but it's indirect impacts on atmospheric circulation are undoubtedly more important and why sea ice loss is also a concern).

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

Yeah, sea level at the GA coast has from all indications risen about 1.5 feet over the last 100 or so years.

Do we know the extent of the ability of the planet to counteract warming? Just wondering if that's been settled yet or not. I seem to vaguely remember hearing that the planet has been much warmer historically than it is currently.

Here’s something not seen in months: the Arctic has just fallen to colder than normal. Often when that happens it reverses quickly the other way. This appears to still be falling, however, based on the steepness. So, we’ll see whether or not there’s more drop to come before any reversal warmer. If it were to drop just 1C, it would be the coldest so far in 2021 at 244K/-29C:51D3AFD3-2C2F-446C-ACFE-EA2962B25244.png

In spite of all this change its still hot in summer and cold in winter. I appreciate the people who shed truth on this matter as they see it. Froze my butt off in New Orleans this week while someone in northern Europe is probably wondering when they can start a woodfire. Jet stream.

Do we know the extent of the ability of the planet to counteract warming? Just wondering if that's been settled yet or not. I seem to vaguely remember hearing that the planet has been much warmer historically than it is currently.

I've said this several times already today, but it's the rate of climate change that's concerning, not necessarily today's climate in context of historical records, because it means everything for adaptation and mitigation. The climate can become really warm, but if this change occurs over tens of thousands of years instead of hundreds to a few thousand that completely changes how the earth system responds to said change and lowers the likelihood of survival (humans should be fine, but perhaps not other plants/animals). The climate community has been well aware of what the planet's temperature has been in the past for a long time, but that's really not what's concerning about today's climate change, it's how fast it's occurring due to man, roughly between 1-2 orders of magnitude (10-100x) more quickly than even during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), which is widely considered to be one of the most extreme examples of purely natural, rapid climate change in the relatively recent past & the closest analog to what is happening today. Also notice our annual emissions of CO2 completely dwarf even the very peak of the PETM

"Of great importance for biological systems is that the rates of change in atmospheric composition and climate were far slower during the PETM than they are projected to be in the future. If the earth warmed ∼5°C in ∼10 kyr at the onset of the PETM the average rate of temperature change was 0.05°C/century, 20–50 times slower than projected anthropogenic warming in the next century (IPCC, 2007). Even factoring in possible pulses in carbon emissions during the onset of the PETM, peak rates are estimated to have been 1.7 Pg C·yr−1 (Cui et al., 2011), compared with anthropogenic carbon emissions of ∼9.1 Pg in 2010 (Peters et al., 2012). The slower rates of environmental change during the PETM are likely to have allowed time for plant dispersal and range change that may not be possible during the much more rapid anthropogenic change to come."

I've said this several times already today, but it's the rate of climate change that's concerning, not necessarily today's climate in context of historical records, because it means everything for adaptation and mitigation. The climate can become really warm, but if this change occurs over tens of thousands of years instead of hundreds to a few thousand that completely changes how the earth system responds to said change and lowers the likelihood of survival (humans should be fine, but perhaps not other plants/animals). The climate community has been well aware of what the planet's temperature has been in the past for a long time, but that's really not what's concerning about today's climate change, it's how fast it's occurring due to man, roughly between 1-2 orders of magnitude (10-100x) more quickly than even during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), which is widely considered to be one of the most extreme examples of purely natural, rapid climate change in the relatively recent past & the closest analog to what is happening today. Also notice our annual emissions of CO2 completely dwarf even the very peak of the PETM

"Of great importance for biological systems is that the rates of change in atmospheric composition and climate were far slower during the PETM than they are projected to be in the future. If the earth warmed ∼5°C in ∼10 kyr at the onset of the PETM the average rate of temperature change was 0.05°C/century, 20–50 times slower than projected anthropogenic warming in the next century (IPCC, 2007). Even factoring in possible pulses in carbon emissions during the onset of the PETM, peak rates are estimated to have been 1.7 Pg C·yr−1 (Cui et al., 2011), compared with anthropogenic carbon emissions of ∼9.1 Pg in 2010 (Peters et al., 2012). The slower rates of environmental change during the PETM are likely to have allowed time for plant dispersal and range change that may not be possible during the much more rapid anthropogenic change to come."
Ok. But we're really only guessing at the catastrophic consequences of this, as well as the timing of such consequences. And, it seems we also still don't have a good handle on the extent of the Earth's ability to counteract the warming.

Ok. But we're really only guessing at the catastrophic consequences of this, as well as the timing of such consequences. And, it seems we also still don't have a good handle on the extent of the Earth's ability to counteract the warming.

Well no we're really not guessing at these catastrophic consequences, because the PETM was in fact catastrophic stressor for life on earth at the time. In fact, ~40-50% of benthic sea organisms perished during the PETM, in a period whose rate of warming was 1-2 entire orders of magnitude slower than today. That's not concerning?

Well no we're really not guessing at these catastrophic consequences, because the PETM was in fact catastrophic stressor for life on earth at the time. In fact, ~40-50% of benthic sea organisms perished during the PETM, in a period whose rate of warming was 1-2 entire orders of magnitude slower than today. That's not concerning?

If anyone actually bothered to look at the link I posted earlier, just reiterates this point.

"The PETM was associated with the largest deep-sea mass extinction event in the last 93 million years..."

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/earth103/node/639

Let’s continue to burn fossil fuels and warm the planet until we start seeing really bad negative stuff happen! That’s when we know it’ll be for sure then we can just fix it!

Smh not how it works people we can’t just sit around and wait for it cause that’s not how earths system as a whole works it takes time for the changes to become realized. If you wait until the bad things happen it’s god awfully too late.

Let’s continue to burn fossil fuels and warm the planet until we start seeing really bad negative stuff happen! That’s when we know it’ll be for sure then we can just fix it!

Smh not how it works people we can’t just sit around and wait for it cause that’s not how earths system as a whole works it takes time for the changes to become realized. If you wait until the bad things happen it’s god awfully too late.
You're making a straw man argument, unless you are just arguing what you think the majority of people everywhere think. And even then, it's speculation. I don't think anyone here is advocating burning fossils fuels as fast as can be done to make all life on the earth extinct. I think most people are reasonable about the issue and would support a change to renewables.

The problem is, there's a new boogie man with climate change every couple of years. Dire predictions or one kind or another. Massive sea level rises that never come. Mass extinction events that haven't happened yet. Irreparable planetary changes. It's not the degree of warming, it's the rate of warming. After that, it will be the type of warming. After that, it will be the scale of warming. After that, it will be how you spell warming.

Media and politicians are so hypocritical on the topic that they have no credibility left. The fear mongering, just like with Covid, WMDs in Iraq, etc. has become transparent and is being exposed for what it is. Most people can be reasonable and won't push back against reasonable information or reasonable suggestions. But when you cry wolf long enough, you're going to get push-back and skepticism.

And when you cleverly try to end debate by claiming the science is settled on every issue, people are going to call BS, and rightly so. And you've just effectively flushed your cause right down the drain, even if it's a cause worth fighting for.

Your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons before preaching to everyone else and making grand proclamations of deep and settled knowledge. You might have papers, but you lack wisdom and humility, and you thereby end up hindering the change you're fighting for.

Last edited:
You're making a straw man argument, unless you are just arguing what you think the majority of people everywhere think. And even then, it's speculation. I don't think anyone here is advocating burning fossils fuels as fast as can be done to make all life on the earth extinct. I think most people are reasonable about the issue and would support a change to renewables.

The problem is, there's a new boogie man with climate change every couple of years. Dire predictions or one kind or another. Massive sea level rises that never come. Mass extinction events that haven't happened yet. Irreparable planetary changed. It's not the degree of warming, it's the rate of warming. After that, it will be the type of warming. After that, it will be the scale of warming. After that, it will be how you spell warming.

Media and politicians are so hypocritical on the topic that they have no credibility left. The fear mongering, just like with Covid, WMDs in Iraq, etc. has become transparent and is being exposed for what it is. Most people can be reasonable and won't push back against reasonable information or reasonable suggestions. But when you cry wolf long enough, you're going to get push-back and skepticism.

And when you cleverly try to end debate by claiming the science is settled on every issue, people are going to call BS, and rightly so. And you've just effectively flushed your cause right down the drain, even if it's a cause worth fighting for.

Your entire generation needs to learn a few life lessons before preaching to everyone else and making grand proclamations of deep and settled knowledge. You might have papers, but you lack wisdom and humility, and you thereby end up hindering the change you're fighting for.
What? These 20 somethings are woke and know everything about everything without ever having a real job, responsibilities, wife, kids, bills etc…

Sounds good Greta Thunberg

The problem is, there's a new boogie man with climate change every couple of years. Dire predictions or one kind or another. Massive sea level rises that never come. Mass extinction events that haven't happened yet. Irreparable planetary changes. It's not the degree of warming, it's the rate of warming. After that, it will be the type of warming. After that, it will be the scale of warming. After that, it will be how you spell warming.

It’s an important subject that y’all’s generation likes to completely ignore and you’ll say you aren’t ignoring the issue but then not believe all of the science against your claims. It’s risky behavior that will unfortunately cause terrible ramifications your grand children and our children will have to pay the price for

It’s an important subject that y’all’s generation likes to completely ignore and you’ll say you aren’t ignoring the issue but then not believe all of the science against your claims. It’s risky behavior that will unfortunately cause terrible ramifications your grand children and our children will have to pay the price for
Well its your generation that operates by fear. I'm sure back in 1805 the scientists of the day were sure of certain things to only be rectified after their deaths.

Well its your generation that operates by fear. I'm sure back in 1805 the scientists of the day were sure of certain things to only be rectified after their deaths.
That’s a bit silly , all generations are subject to fear . Let’s not forget who the adults are here … it wasn’t Nicky or me or webber who came up with the whole movement or anyone from my generation. That was actually folks more around your age and older . I agree other than that.

That’s a bit silly , all generations are subject to fear . Let’s not forget who the adults are here … it wasn’t Nicky or me or webber who came up with the whole movement or anyone from my generation. That was actually folks more around your age and older . I agree other than that.
Maybe If the government didn't benefit so much from the hysteria It wouldn't be such a big deal.

I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back