• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, keep in mind that CAE is often one of the "cooler" spots around Columbia. Here are the numbers for USC in downtown Cola: :eek:

Jan 59.6 36.7 48.1 3.84 0.2
Feb 64.1 39.7 51.9 3.54 0.0
Mar 71.8 45.8 58.8 4.11 0.0
Apr 80.6 53.6 67.1 2.92 0.0
May 87.2 61.8 74.5 3.63 0.0
Jun 92.6 68.9 80.8 5.41 0.0
Jul 95.6 72.1 83.8 5.17 0.0
Aug 93.8 71.1 82.4 5.01 0.0
Sep 88.8 65.7 77.2 4.25 0.0
Oct 79.5 54.2 66.8 3.31 0.0
Nov 68.9 44.1 56.5 3.04 0.0
Dec 61.3 38.7 50.0 3.88 0.0
I don’t trust those stats at all , definitely a bogus station . Kind of like Southport , cute but dubious .

Question for BHS, so how do you account for the 1930's summers being hotter here than the 2010's? Sure there is Climate Change and it has been going on periodically for thousands of years, before CO2 was a factor.

How dry were the 1930s? Low soil moisture will raise temperatures pretty extensively. High soil moisture has a lot do do with our near normal summers lately.

If I could manipulate the past records to make them fit my narrative (like most AGW adherents have done) I could show that we have been in a cooling phase. Remember, if you torture a statistic enough, it will tell you what you want to hear. Funny how all the reconstructions of past Climate temperatures have been dropped while the newer ones have been raised, kind of like them trying to eliminate the medieval warm period completely

How dry were the 1930s? Low soil moisture will raise temperatures pretty extensively. High soil moisture has a lot do do with our near normal summers lately.

They are way more humid with warmer lows at night which makes it harder to deal with as it put's more stress on the body when it can't cool off as much at night to recuperate from the daytime heat. All this is caused by the increasing heat uptake in the ocean which adds more water vapor to the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are way more humid with warmer lows at night which makes it harder to deal with as it put's more stress on the body when it can't cool off as much at night to recuperate from the daytime heat. All this is caused by the increasing heat uptake in the ocean which adds more water vapor to the air.

You do know that more people die from the cold than die from warm right? The most optimal conditions for humans our planet has seen, have come during periods when the planet was warmer, not colder. Climate, like humans, are always changing and there is very precious little we can or should do about it.

You do know that more people die from the cold than die from warm right? The most optimal conditions for humans our planet has seen, have come during periods when the planet was warmer, not colder. Climate, like humans, are always changing and there is very precious little we can or should do about it.
During the ice age our c02 levels were on the edge of where if they got any lower plant life would not be able to carry on . We were hovering around 180ppm I believe . Any lower would have been bad bad news . We are barely twice that threshold right now and they want to lower it lmao.

We got AC and are evolved from warm climates . I think humans will be fine .

We got AC and are evolved from warm climates . I think humans will be fine .

The biggest issue in the near future is when massive chunks of ice slide off into the oceans that suddenly raise sea levels putting stress on the economy that's already in trouble from the pandemic.

The biggest issue in the near future is when massive chunks of ice slide off into the oceans that suddenly raise sea levels putting stress on the economy that's already in trouble from the pandemic.

Not happening ! Biggest coastal issue has been erosion and land sinking due to guess what? Human development ! Sea levels have hardly changed lmao.

Last edited:
When large pieces of ice (really large. like the size of Staten Island or even Rhode Island) breakoff it is not Climate Change, it is called glacier calving which has been going on now for thousands of years

When large pieces of ice (really large. like the size of Staten Island or even Rhode Island) breakoff it is not Climate Change, it is called glacier calving which has been going on now for thousands of years

You don't get gargantuan chunks of ice breaking off with a stable climate. It only happens with rapid warming.

I'm reading What to Do about Natural Gas via the Scientific American app http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-natural-gas-be-part-of-a-low-carbon-future

As I have mentioned on the board before, I work for the largest Pipeline Company in the US. More specifically on one of the pipelines that cover the Southeast. Natural Gas can absolutely be part of the solution and not the problem. Emissions from Natural Gas fired facilities is much lower than the other fossil fuels and a good portion (with more to come) is being captured now. As an Industry we have been trying to somewhat separate ourselves from Oil for this very reason. Everyone says Oil and Gas as one thing when it is really two. The stopping of pipelines which are very safe and environmentally friendly, and help move supply of our most abundant resource is just being politicized like most things these days.

You don't get gargantuan chunks of ice breaking off with a stable climate. It only happens with rapid warming.

Wrong, go read about the difference from land based Glaciers calving and "ice chunks". The land based Glaciers calving process (which is natural)
DWARFS any so called ice chunks from sea ice

Wrong, go read about the difference from land based Glaciers calving and "ice chunks". The land based Glaciers calving process (which is natural)
DWARFS any so called ice chunks from sea ice

Yeah sure it's natural but AGW is changing how and when the chunks break up and destabilizing ones that have been stable since the end of the last ice age.

Yeah sure it's natural but AGW is changing how and when the chunks break up and destabilizing ones that have been stable since the end of the last ice age.

How do we know this BHS? Were you alive in say the 1000-1400 period? How about the 100,000-300,000 BC?

Not happening ! Biggest coastal issue has been erosion and land sinking due to guess what? Human development ! Sea levels have hardly changed lmao.
The sea levels havent changed in my 47 years of living, but I wasnt around 100,000 years ago. It may be that the ocean was a mile east of current Myrtle Beach ocean front property back then.

The sea levels havent changed in my 47 years of living, but I wasnt around 100,000 years ago. It may be that the ocean was a mile east of current Myrtle Beach ocean front property back then.
There’s a million things that affect sea levels , even the phase the nao and ao in has an impact on sea levels ! Sea levels for example during the more - amo phase of the 60s and 70s was higher along the east coast. Another thing , land in former glaciated regions is rising ! Another cause of sea level change . The speed of the Gulf Stream is another thing that affects our sea levels . All in al the change has been measured in mm , how on earth do you discern mm of change as caused by ice melting and not natural variations?

There’s a million things that affect sea levels , even the phase the nao and ao in has an impact on sea levels ! Sea levels for example during the more - amo phase of the 60s and 70s was higher along the east coast. Another thing , land in former glaciated regions is rising ! Another cause of sea level change . The speed of the Gulf Stream is another thing that affects our sea levels . All in al the change has been measured in mm , how on earth do you discern mm of change as caused by ice melting and not natural variations?
You can't. So lets not make major economic policies based on that. We were also supposed to be under water by now using the Gore-based calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back