• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Mountain/Foothills Discussion and Observation Thread

Glad to see this thread. Heading to Snowshoe after Christmas. Was pretty bummed after the storm took a bad turn but still hoping they get some decent snow out of it.

The wind down here in the French Broad Valley wasn't bad, stayed under 40 mph while Raleigh reported a 54 mph wind gust. A bit unusual. 3 degrees IMBY with the wind picking up compared to this afternoon.

Any suggestions for a good spot to set up for this weekend's possible snow? I was thinking maybe somewhere between Roan Mountain TN and Banner Elk? Hoping for some input from you guys that know the micro climates up there. Thanks!

Any suggestions for a good spot to set up for this weekend's possible snow? I was thinking maybe somewhere between Roan Mountain TN and Banner Elk? Hoping for some input from you guys that know the micro climates up there. Thanks!

You're spot on. Anywhere from Elk Park, Banner Elk, or Beech Mountain. I miss that area so much, its been some years since I've been.

Carvers Gap near Roan Mountain on the NC/TN line is a great spot for a hike in the snow if you can make it up there on NC Highway 261. It's about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Charlotte and sits at 6,000 feet elevation. There's parking right off of 261 where the Appalachian Trail crosses. I went back in early February 2020. It was raining in Spruce Pine and Bakersville, but Carvers had about 6 inches of snow on the ground with a snow and sleet mix falling. The NC side of 261 was cleared but the TN side right past the parking area was completely snow covered.

Carvers Gap near Roan Mountain on the NC/TN line is a great spot for a hike in the snow if you can make it up there on NC Highway 261. It's about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Charlotte and sits at 6,000 feet elevation. There's parking right off of 261 where the Appalachian Trail crosses. I went back in early February 2020. It was raining in Spruce Pine and Bakersville, but Carvers had about 6 inches of snow on the ground with a snow and sleet mix falling. The NC side of 261 was cleared but the TN side right past the parking area was completely snow covered.
There’s a nice grove of pine trees if you walk up the trail from the parking area on the left side of the road. Took this picture when I was there in 2020. The trail on the right side of the road has more open areas and seems to get more foot traffic, but really has a nice view in clearer weather.

A2DCC5F6-0AE1-4A2B-91EB-360C5EB16EE4.jpeg

There’s a nice grove of pine trees if you walk up the trail from the parking area on the left side of the road. Took this picture when I was there in 2020. The trail on the right side of the road has more open areas and seems to get more foot traffic, but really has a nice view in clearer weather.

View attachment 129754
Thanks for the responses!

I’m having my alternator rebuilt on my Dodge 2500. Should be ready by tomorrow but in the off chance it isn’t and I have to drive my wife’s 2wd Saturday who is going to come tow me out if I get stuck?

Avery-Madison-Yancey-Mitchell-Swain-Haywood-Graham-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Faust,
Mars Hill, Marshall, Walnut, Allenstand, Hot Springs, Luck,
Swiss, Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick,
Spruce Pine, Poplar, Alarka, Almond, Bryson City, Luada, Wesser,
Waynesville, Waterville, Canton, Cruso, Cove Creek, Robbinsville,
and Stecoah
340 AM EST Thu Jan 12 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 7 AM
EST SATURDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
7 AM EST SATURDAY BELOW 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow expected. Total
snow accumulations of up to 9 inches. Winds gusting as high as
45 mph. For the Winter Weather Advisory, snow expected. Total
snow accumulations of up to 2 inches. Winds gusting as high as
40 mph.

* WHERE...The North Carolina mountain counties along the Tennessee
border.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 7 AM EST Saturday.

Back