• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 19-20 Possible Front-End Snow/Ice Thump

Absolutely 0 local mets had any mention of sleet pellets mixing in or anything! Went straight rain and ice possibly in the mtns! Peoples are like WTH??
Chris Justus posted a video at 11:15, he mentions low impact sleet in upstate, and says he expects it to be rain after lunch onwards

FV3 not going down without a fight......

snku_acc.us_ma.png

zr_acc.us_ma.png

Clouds finally starting to stream in, hopefully will temper the warmup some.... 45 at the house but DP has dropped to 26. Some DP's in the teens not too far north either and with a 1040 hp, anything is possible this evening

I think it might be onto something. I think if it was going to back down it would have done it by now.
It showed 3" across the Va border not 50 miles from me Friday night for Saturday's storm..... they never got a flake, so unfortunately it's got a CAD cold bias. However, this set up a little better so we shall see

Chris Justus posted a video at 11:15, he mentions low impact sleet in upstate, and says he expects it to be rain after lunch onwards
Point was he didn’t yesterday. Anybody can now cast!

I’ve had a light-moderate sleet/rain mix in NE Charlotte for about the last half hour or so, we finally legitimately saturated the column after a third wave of showers moved in. It still counts as a trace of snow/sleet so I guess I call it a win?

Considering models were showing just rain there I’d say it overperformed!

I’ve had a light-moderate sleet/rain mix in NE Charlotte for about the last half hour or so, we finally legitimately saturated the column after a third wave of showers moved in. It still counts as a trace of snow/sleet so I guess I call it a win?

Precip has really struggled to make it to the ground over here, just maybe a few pingers here or there, I don’t know if consider than a good thing or not becuase i kinda do want a drier column for later so I can have a shot at wetbulbing to a snow sounding with heavier precip

Precip has really struggled to make it to the ground over here, just maybe a few pingers here or there, I don’t know if consider than a good thing or not becuase i kinda do want a drier column for later so I can have a shot at wetbulbing to a snow sounding with heavier precip
Very true unfortunately I think when heavier precip moves in we are more likely to be sleet rather than snow and if snow does manage to fall it could be heavily rimed which limits accumulations or perhaps it’s so timed we end up with graupel instead.

Friend in Rock Hill driving up I 77 around mid morning reported the ground was briefly turning white from the sleet (0.1”) so I guess that counts as accumulation but can’t rule out a dusting or half inch or so except perhaps right at the VA border if a really heavy band of sleet or sleet and snow moves in

Back