• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Favorite Weather Event

W

WeatherLC

What would you guys consider your favorite weather event that you have experienced?

It's a toss-up between the super cold snowstorm of March 2, 1980 where we had 8 inches of snow with temps in the single digits... or the Jan 7-8th, 1988 snowstorm with 16 inches of powder. There are several others coming in behind those. Feb, 1969 , March 1993 , March 2009 , Feb 2004 , Feb 2014. Also, of note, there was the arctic out-break of Jan 1985. And yes, there is a story I could tell with each one of those events.

My favorite weather event is the 2 feet snowstorm that will hit the southeast in January 2017 ! Seriously though, my favorite weather event is probably the January 2011 snow/ice event we had where it stayed on the ground for like a week !

I'm a young one so I'd say either the February 2004 (Although I was too young to remember it :p), or the February 2014 event. Although my favorite historical storm to study and watch news coverage of is the 1996 ice storm over the Tennessee Valley, mostly because that one was followed by an extended period of cold for the area and it was an ice-to-snow event. I think we might get something like that this year.

not even close
6fe6131fca29186e2f50adb94ab68121.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:
not even close

Is that the 93 Blizzard ? I don't think most of the people on this forum are old enough to remember that one.

I was in the NC mtns blizzard of 93 (wcu), but it's 3rd on my top 5 list.
1-Jan 2000 Carolina Crusher (total suprise) 13 inches
2-February 28, 2004 17 inches Thundersnow from ull.
3- superstorm 93, 15 inches blizzard warning
4 Early December 2002 catastrophic ice storm. 100 % county lost power. 1.5 inches of frzng rain with temps in low 20s.
5- Christmas Day snow, 5 inches 2010 I beleive or 2011.

Been blessed living in south and have that resume. 2000-2004 where good times for a winter weather fan.

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=24.msg403#msg403 date=1481082534]
not even close

Is that the 93 Blizzard ? I don't think most of the people on this forum are old enough to remember that one.
[/quote]
Yep, that's a satellite photo of the "Storm of the Century". I would recognize it anywhere.

That 93 storm was the only time l every saw (or heard) Thunder snow storm really an amazing storm!

The Remnants of TS Earl (1998)
Carolina Crusher (January 2000)
6 inches of Snow  (January 2-3 (Birthday), 2002) - Still the most beautiful snow I've ever seen.
8.5 Inches of Snow (February 12, 2010)

A sleet storm in the early 60's in Atl.  The Atl sleet storm in 78.  And the Blizzard.  A freakin' Blizzard in Ga.  I never dreamed I'd see the day, lol.  Hate the 73 ice storm with a deep hateful passion.  Never ever want to see the like again, and came close south of Atl in the early 80's, in a pine forest, lol.  I like weather experiences, but those are two I'd trade for rain any day, lol. 
  And oddly, the rain from cutoff TD Alberto. I'm on high ground so it wasn't scary, but man, did it rain. Monsoon in Ga. to go with the Blizzard.  You couldn't breathe outside without gear, lol. My first thunder snow and lightening, in Morningside in the early 80's. And the first time I ever saw a foot of snow, in Ansbach, Germany.

I  have 2 memories of winter storms that really got me hooked on winter weather.

1) I will need a little help from my NC friends. I lived in Wilson NC from 81 to 88. I remember a storm that happen sometime in the mid to late 80s. We got several inches of sleet covered by several inches of snow. Not sure of the exact storm or date.

2)Blizzard of '93 here in central AL. 16" of snow IMBY and Thundersnow. All Time Favorite to Date. It happen a couple weeks before my 20th birthday. I was at my Girlfriends house and decided I wanted to drive in the snow (in stead of staying with GF) back to my house before it got to heavy. Ended up stuck at my house for almost a week. My dumb butt could have be stuck with my GF but I had to go driving in the snow.

March 1993.  I've subsequently lived in the northeast and seen bigger snowstorms, but that was something special.  As has been noted, it was a blizzard! in Atlanta.  I hope I live to 120 so I can see it again.

GainesvilleWX link said:
What would you guys consider your favorite weather event that you have experienced?
My favorite event was the Blizzard of 1993. Being from the south,  I don't think I ever really  knew what a blizzard was before then , but I am glad that I was safely at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 73'.  I wasn't alive to experience it, but all the talk I've heard of it from my elders helped build a nice picture.

I'll go w/February 12th 2010 7" of snow the day before my birthday.  I'll also go w/November 1st 2014 as a ULL dropped 4.5" of snow imby...The day before it was like 60° degrees outside.

whatalife link said:
I'll go w/February 12th 2010 7" of snow the day before my birthday.  I'll also go w/November 1st 2014 as a ULL dropped 4.5" of snow imby...The day before it was like 60° degrees outside.

Funny thing about that event.  Everyone was getting up and on their way to work, etc.  It started sticking to the roads, NOAA didn't even have a Winter Weather Advisory out!  I had to send like 4 reports to them from major roads just to get an advisory.

Such a freak event, but awesome!  I remember watching the modeling with it and even I thought, "eh, not too much to this".  I wake up with it pouring snow, probably harder than the night of Feb 12th.

Back