• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Decreasing Tornadoes?

snowlover91

Reaction score
Came across this article and found it interesting. It was written a few days before the close of 2018 but has some interesting info. Thoughts on possible causes for this downtrend? Source

1546462866736.png

The funny thing is in 2016 articles came up talking about a increase of severe tornado outbreaks. You would think with a warming earth it would but it’s definitely decreasing , but it might just be a blip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The funny thing is in 2016 articles came up talking about a increase of severe tornado outbreaks. You would think with a warming earth it would but it’s definitely decreasing , but it might just be a blip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think once we get out this nino funk... get towards a La Niña. Be increase of them....

Think once we get out this nino funk... get towards a La Niña. Be increase of them....

Maybe so but the long term trend is significantly down... it could also have to do with better methodology and understanding we have now to discern between tornado damage vs downburst/wind damage events thus lowering the overall numbers as technology and verification methods improve?

Here are a few other interesting stats I found.

"As of Dec. 29, there have been 991 tornadoes across the United States in 2018. This is noticeably lower than the average of 1,287 and only slightly higher than the record low of 897 tornadoes, set in 2014."
1546466080244.png

“Oklahoma did not report a tornado until May -- the latest date for a first tornado [in the state] in the NOAA database,” Marsh said."

“I am unaware of any tornado in 2018 being rated an EF4,” Marsh said. This is the first year since records began in 1950 that there has not been a violent F/EF4 tornado anywhere in the U.S. “We have to be a little careful with this information as tornado ratings for the entire year are not finalized yet and so it is subject to some change. However, it is reasonable to assume that no tornado has achieved a rating of EF4 in 2018,” Marsh added."

"As of Dec. 28, there have only been 10 tornado-related fatalities across the United States, the lowest number since records began in 1875. The previous record was 12 tornado-related fatalities in 1910."
1546466058361.png

Bringing it back but with a pattern we have now, wouldn’t these strong upper level systems not bode well for us in spring ? We’ve had the strong shear, just no instability due to climo

Back