• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Getting close for comfort. Lots of weak trees in and around this area.
Fortunately, Irma took care of a lot of the weaker limbs earlier this year, so I think the trees I have will be capable of resisting the ice, but they will be sagging really low if we do get that much. Everything would become an ice rink if it verified as well. May need to get ice skates!

If the trends keep up, this isn't out of the realm of possibility

icestorm05_small.png

Obviously not as west as 2005

Remember that one.

This borders on banter so please move if so, but looking at the setup with this is concerning. Lot of trees here in far North Georgia have been weakened between Irma and the big snowstorm.

If we are looking at anything remotely like what the models are hinting, I’m firing up the saw early next week.

—30—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that one on jan 2nd has the looks of a nice un too! Heck before winter hearing all the la nina talk and experts i didnt think we would even get to track a winter storm in th SE much less 3 possible hits by the first week of January

And that one on jan 2nd has the looks of a nice un too! Heck before winter hearing all the la nina talk and experts i didnt think we would even get to track a winter storm in th SE much less 3 possible hits by the first week of January
If only all odds are defied and we get snow into late January and February... or even more than parts of the NE.

This borders on banter so please move if so, but looking at the setup with this is concerning. Lot of trees here in far North Georgia have been weakened between Irma and the big snowstorm.
That's an excellent point. I was 12 years old and living in north Atlanta during the infamous Jan. '73 ice storm; it totally shut the city down for a week...as I recall, the ZR accumulation was about 1".

Not that I want an ice storm, but considering how much this ice event is being honked...I wonder if the wedge is being underestimated? Because like I said, CAD has a mind of it's own with temps. If there's a CAD like situation, I can be at least a few degrees colder than what's forecasted.
In a perfect world there would be plenty of money to fashion a model strictly for cads, lol. They are always underestimated, and can be packed with winter fun. I never take my eye off them when they show up. Tony

That's an excellent point. I was 12 years old and living in north Atlanta during the infamous Jan. '73 ice storm; it totally shut the city down for a week...as I recall, the ZR accumulation was about 1".

3 1/2 inches or more in Buckhead, where I was. Absolutely the worst weather experience winter has offered me, followed up by another one in the 80's where I am now. I lived in a pine forest, and several acres were covered in pine limbs, such that you couldn't see the ground. We had bon fires for weeks cleaning up, and it's wasn't half the storm the 73 storm was. I hate zr. It's worthless, unless you love wanton destruction :) T

I so remember that storm. We lost power about 9 pm Sunday, but were lucky that we had a radiant gas heater still. So we slept in the kitchen/ hallway both for heat and to be away from neighbors pine trees. Power back in two days (we were very lucky) But besides pines, I was surprised at number of hardwoods that came down due to the ice load.

Yes, if you took a look at my post about the soundings in Lexington for the 12z GFS, I was saying the exact same thing based on dewpoints alone. It's a major ice storm down to at least Orangeburg. Regardless of what the maps and accumulation show you.
Hope you finally got your house ice proofed, lol. Time to cut some trees, if not. If nature cuts them, they go where they want, which is usually where you don't want them. It definitely the time of year climo likes ice storms.

3 1/2 inches or more in Buckhead, where I was. Absolutely the worst weather experience winter has offered me, followed up by another one in the 80's where I am now. I lived in a pine forest, and several acres were covered in pine limbs, such that you couldn't see the ground. We had bon fires for weeks cleaning up, and it's wasn't half the storm the 73 storm was. I hate zr. It's worthless, unless you love wanton destruction :) T
We need to hope for a deep CAD event. We need more sleet than freezing rain. I did ok with the 2005 and 2014 storm because we had mostly sleet.

We need to hope for a deep CAD event. We need more sleet than freezing rain. I did ok with the 2005 and 2014 storm because we had mostly sleet.
Yep, Kyle, we don't want what's being sold, for sure. But to get my sleet, I have to get close to zr, and it's a terrible price to pay when things get wrong, lol. Fortunately I haven't had to endure a bad one since that one in the 80's here. When it gets over an inch, then it's survival mode. I've been real lucky to get a sleet/zr mix for most events since then, or light zr, but since 73 I've been real gun shy of zr, and cringe whenever it shows up on models.

Back