• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Only hope for precip is when the initial front moves in and is pressing up against the SE ridge with a SW . Other than that is squash city . I’d be happy with cold and dry . Beats a warm christmas
Or during a relaxation period, before the next 1060 drops in! I think a few runs of GFS, had multiple highs coming down after the initial Christmas one!?

Ok, but that still doesnt take away from the fact that its solution is a cold outlier for now. Also keep in mind, this model has a radiative bias over snow cover, while there isn't anything too appreciable in the southern tier at the time this shot of arctic air arrives here, there is over the northern US and south-central Canada where this airmass is originating from, those errors upstream are also likely being manifest here in our neck of the woods in the medium range wrt the intensity of this cold shot.

I thought snowcover was the absolute best to reflect heat back out and keep warmth under it in the ground. Are you saying there is a known bias that the GFS is programmed incorrectly with that? Wow, we really need smarter people making our weather modeling.

I kind of hope it doesn't get that cold because I'm worried about my car not being able to start :(
During the January 1985 outbreak, my father's vehicle refused to start that morning due to the weather and I'm well far south of you. To this day, that's the only occurrence of such a thing happening to anyone that I know.

Ok, but that still doesnt take away from the fact that its solution is a cold outlier for now. Also keep in mind, this model has a radiative bias over snow cover, while there isn't anything too appreciable in the southern tier at the time this shot of arctic air arrives here, there is over the northern US and south-central Canada where this airmass is originating from, those errors upstream are also likely being manifest here in our neck of the woods in the medium range wrt the intensity of this cold shot.

None of what I said necessarily means this pattern will not produce a big outbreak of arctic air in the southeastern US and it shouldn't be taken out of context as such, but people need to temper their expectations a little bit on the specifics of this airmass, surely it will be quite cold, but there's a lot of uncertainty on exactly how cold and all of the aforementioned reasons wrt canonical GFS biases (among other things) should make one more cautious for at least a few more days...

I remember my parents telling me during the Jan 1985 outbreak their car wouldn't start :(
remember it really well... minus 10 here for low nashiville got down to minus 17 for low broke records... except there were about 10 inches of snow on the ground here when that artic out break took place.... very snowy winter that year

None of what I said necessarily means this pattern will not produce a big outbreak of arctic air in the southeastern US and it shouldn't be taken out of context as such, but people need to temper their expectations a little bit on the specifics of this airmass, surely it will be quite cold, but there's a lot of uncertainty on exactly how cold and all of the aforementioned reasons wrt canonical GFS biases (among other things) should make one more cautious for at least a few more days...

You're right, we've seen this plenty of times where the GFS shows stupid cold in L-MR but it eventually corrects itself. Not saying that it still wouldn't be bitterly cold, just not Barrow, Alaska cold :p.

Is there enough snow cover to the north to allow for such an arctic airmass to get that far south ? I would think that snow cover would be an important factor.

We'll probably have a relatively fresh snow cover down to about the I-80 corridor, that's close to climatological normals for this time of the year and is marginally conducive at best to support an airmass of the magnitude being advertised by the GFS, surely we would like to see even more to make it a lot colder as will be the case over Minnesota and Wisconsin where temps will crash into the -20s & potentially even -30s...

GFS_3_2017121818_F126_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

You're right, we've seen this plenty of times where the GFS shows stupid cold in L-MR but it eventually corrects itself. Not saying that it still wouldn't be bitterly cold, just not Barrow, Alaska cold :p.
Speaking of Barrow, AK they are forecast to be in the mid 20s over the next week or so. Pretty remarkable.

Glenn Burns just posted this on FB:

Looks like massive cold arctic outbreak coming next week. The high pressure is so strong I have not seen anything like it. The pressure will read 31.47" of mercury. That is monstrous! In addition, the arctic cold, according to GFS model, could drop temps into the single digits in Atlanta.

Back