• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Current Observations

16 degrees here this morning. It sure has been hard getting up to go to work early in the morning in this dry cold.

I saw -1 ~8am at the same spot a buddy reported -4 an hour earlier, known micro-climate less than a mile from the house. Bottomed out ~zero at the house. Took a little jebwalk through the yard, 3.25-3.5" of snow cover in open areas, still not crusted on the top, down from a little less than 4" yesterday. We should avg about 2-3 degrees colder tonight just eyeballing dewpoints and NAM/ECMWF output. My guess is the -4 record at Greenville is safe but not by much, the -4 in 85 was a COOP, not the AWOS at PGV.

All-Time Record Low Temperatures

LOCATION TEMP: MO/DY/YR
New Bern -4: 12/25/89 (KEWN ASOS)
Cape Hatteras 6: 1/21/85 (KHSE ASOS)
Greenville -4: 1/21/85 (COOP - Not KPGV AWOS)
Morehead City 1: 1/21/85 (COOP - Not KMRH ASOS)
Kinston -2: 1/21/85 (COOP - Not KISO AWOS)
Jacksonville -5: 12/25/89 (KNCA ASOS)

Record for Consecutive Days with Temperatures at or below Freezing

LOCATION Consecutive Days/YEAR
New Bern 4/Ending 1-23-1970 (KEWN ASOS)
Cape Hatteras 3/Ending 1-13-1981 (KHSE ASOS)
Greenville 5/Ending 1-5-1918 (COOP - Not KPGV AWOS)
Morehead City 2/Ending 2-5-1996 (COOP - Not KMRH ASOS)
Kinston 6/Ending 1-4-1918 (COOP - Not KISO AWOS)
Jacksonville 3/Ending 12-24-1989 (KNCA ASOS)

14 in CHA.. MRX blew the low tonight.. think they forecasted 22 initially yesterday.

The Ft. Pulaski SST near the mouth of the SAV river has now dropped to 41! That should be the bottom though their air temp. is currently only 32 after a low of 29.

It is 36.1 at my place (after a low of 26), meaning still another way below normal day that actually looks colder than yesterday! But this is the last of the really cold days making it 7 in a row. What an amazing 1st week of the year, one which I'll never forget as a repeat of something similar for any seven day period could easily be many years and quite possibly decades away unless the globe were to finally reverse and start a significant cooldown.

Last edited:
Here's a shocker, upper 30's and rain, i.e. a cold rain. Moisture chasing cold, gotta love it.

43 now, 48 was the high. Tonight will be the first non-freeze night in a long ass time. Should crack 50 finally tomorrow.

What do you mean? Isn't that just southerly/sw flow?

I just clicked it now at 1 AM, so it may have looked much different.

back when it was posted it was a SE to NW flow on the entire SE region radar; not something you see very often..

Back