• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Letting local leaders take the lead on public safety decisions works most of the time. Most disasters tend to have localized impacts.

This is affecting us nationwide. Our response should be led more at the federal level than by governors.

It's like if Governor Cooper had decided not to close schools across NC last week, but decided instead to let the local school systems make that decision, how would that look like? Do we praise him for leadership and assume local leaders are following his advice, or would we think he's timid and a step behind on what should have been done? If I recall, he got a little bit of heat on here for waiting until the largest systems make the call before he pulled the trigger.

Most of the time, letting school systems make the call to close schools works because it's due to weather, and storms affect different parts of the state differently. Most would believe this situation was different because of the unique circumstances and required a statewide decision. If so, why would this apply to the state level, but not the federal?
depends on the state ... look at some that have no local infections reported ... shut them down too? (Rhetorical question, I assure you) ... ?

And this is why we're going to get a lot worse before we get better. Americans by and large are really, really stupid.

depends on the state ... look at some that have no local infections reported ... shut them down too? (Rhetorical question, I assure you) ... ?
That's an interesting point, and food for thought. But depending on the situation, if a state isn't locked down I'm concerned people will travel to it to avoid restrictions (and unwittingly spread the virus).

https://www.dailywire.com/news/epid...admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model

Looks like I was right after all. It’s been here since early December. Already worked over many areas of the population. Can we go ahead and open up the restaurants now? I’m starving!

Be wary of the Daily Wire's strong right bias:

So this stimulus package, how does that work for dependents that are college age? I've seen additional $500 for children 16 and under?

What doesn't fit is the UK locked down Monday or Tuesday after they have seen as we in the US have significant community spread. In just a few days he has went from 500,000 to "probably much less than 20,000" and also only two-three weeks lockdown time.

In any case it's really good news to what we can achieve here.

So this stimulus package, how does that work for dependents that are college age? I've seen additional $500 for children 16 and under?

The $500 is for children who were under the age of 17 in calendar 2020. But if college age children filed their own tax returns (even if they're claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return), then they get their own $1,200 payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back