• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you say the other day about the border closing to Canada and then the final step was a national lockdown?
Yes and the lockdown is going to happen if states don’t shut down everything. Right now most small towns are doing business. He said by Friday or Sunday it will take affect from what he was told in briefings.

New England Journal of Medicine and National Institute of Health

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease, and suggests that people may acquire the virus through the air and after touching contaminated objects.

NEJM SARS COV-19.jpg

Part of the problem is most of us have had an easy go of it. The biggest previous shock event in my life was 9/11 and the next big thing was the 2008 and on Great Recession. We haven’t had the massive changing events such as the 2004 or 2011 Tsunamis or the Haitian earthquake. We also haven’t had to deal with the World Wars, Great Depression, Cold War or Cuban Missile Crisis. Most of us have been spoiled and haven’t had to face what life is actually life on this fallen earth.
Well said and agreed. Besides 9/11, a lot of us really haven't experienced a true shock event like previous generations did.

I think back to just after Pearl Harbor was bombed and what people must have been thinking. How are we going to fight a 2 front war after part of the navy was trashed and Japan is advancing? How do we manufacture all those planes needed? How do we do that if all the workers are soldiers? How do we defeat Germany if the only strong ally in Europe left is the UK? How do we develop an atomic weapon in time before the enemy does?

We did all those things and more. Because we had to. Simple as that.

Well said and agreed. Besides 9/11, a lot of us really haven't experienced a true shock event like previous generations did.

I think back to just after Pearl Harbor was bombed and what people must have been thinking. How are we going to fight a 2 front war after part of the navy was trashed and Japan is advancing? How do we manufacture all those planes needed? How do we do that if all the workers are soldiers? How do we defeat Germany if the only strong ally in Europe left is the UK? How do we develop an atomic weapon in time before the enemy does?

We did all those things and more. Because we had to... how do I feed, clothe and shelter my family if I don’t have a job???? Rioting will be prevalent before you are 2 weeks into the shut down.

We did all those things and more. Because we had to. Simple as that.

Absolutely. I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach at 13 years old after 9/11 and the first cruise missiles hits on Baghdad. Looking back how silly that was and as you said that couldn’t even compare with knowing you are just about to go to war with the best fighting machine(Germany) the world has ever seen and perhaps the best Navy(Japan).

We are so short sighted.

How low will the Dow Jones go before this is over? Under 20,000 at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to say we are witnessing a truly historical event unfolding. There's real anxiety about economic and human impacts. It's right to be concerned. We may be about to experience trying times neither of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We all need to acknowledge that, and keep calm. Panicking and ignoring the problem is (I believe) two different extremes. Rational and clear headed thinking is the mean between those extremes.

Don't forget that America does its best when our backs are against the wall, or facing extreme adversity. We have a history of innovating and pivoting in response to huge obstacles, and I see no reason to believe this time will be different.
If people just understood what to do, most of this wouldn't be AS big an issue. Since I got locked out of this thread 1 time already I just wont respond to anybody that doesn't want to hear what I say which is fine. Staying in is smart. Not panicking is smart. Looking at the big picture in a positive light is smart. Any guys and girls on here who served know exactly what I am saying. You can only control what you do and that's it. Lots of people obviously don't trust government to handle this. Well they had better on this one because these closures are warranted due to the fact that some people (mainly young people) just don't get it. They don't understand or have patience for some reason. I know there are a lot of young people here. If you are doing the right things that's great. Not trying to single anybody out because they aren't the only ones but you made a very good point. Some americans just haven't experienced anything of this magnitude in their lifetime. We are going to get through it fine. I just hope as a silver lining that people learn from this and use the experience in the future to guide them.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back