• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the third straight day in a row, Florida has reported a record high of new cases. They reported 4,040 new cases and 40 new deaths.

Last edited:
We are gonna have to shut everything down again asap because we are still getting lagged (& grossly underreported) numbers from ~2 weeks ago. Big shocker, saving the economy at the expense of human lives wasn’t the right move here.

Yeah this isnt going as well as we all hoped. Most of us knew the risk of reopening and doing away with the protocols that worked. Brings me back to this quote when I see it and hear people still raging about the shutdowns.

Attachments

• 20200422_193627.jpg
    20200422_193627.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 52
GA reported changes in 24 hour increments ending on Fri 6/12 through Sun 6/21: chart looks good on my PC but jumbled on my Iphone

Note the record high # of cases reported for any one day on 6/20 but also note the huge increase in number of tests recorded that day. Then notice both tests and cases drop way back down on 6/21. Note 6/21's low hosp, ICU, and deaths but that's because it is a Sunday.

Date...………………...…….. Fri 6/12....Sat 6/13..Sun 6/14..Mon 6/15..Tue 6/16.....Wed 6/17..Thu 6/18..Fri 6/19..Sat 6/20..Sun 6/21
Tests (excluding antibodies): 7,493...…….13,254...…..16,286...…..7,089...……...4,218...……..15,450...…….12,696...…..6,556.......24,613......9,719
Cases...……….......….………………....810...……….1,018...………..880...…….733...………...664...…………..952...………….882...…..1,097.........1,800........892
Hospitalizations...…………………..108...…………...43.........……..24...…......74...………….132...…………….89...…………120...……..109...............65.............27
ICU...………………….…………..………...15...…………….8...…………….5...………..9...…………...22...…………….19...…………...25...……….13...............18................4
Deaths...……………...…………...………43......………...28...…...……….5...……...43......……...….35......………….46...…………..30...……….31..................6................1

Last edited:
Yeah this isnt going as well as we all hoped. Most of us knew the risk of reopening and doing away with the protocols that worked. Brings me back to this quote when I see it and hear people still raging about the shutdowns.

Shutdowns won’t happen this time unless hospitals everywhere are in serious danger of being overwhelmed.

It’s simply not possible to keep the economy shutdown until there is a vaccine available (and we don’t even know if it’ll be effective). Shutdowns serve to slow this down and prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed but they won’t stop this virus.

Society has to adapt to dealing with this with effective health policy that protects the vulnerable while also balancing keeping the economy running because the virus simply isn’t going to go away. The only way I see shutdowns returning is if hospitals everywhere are in serious danger of being overwhelmed.

That is a very fine line that isnt so easy to balance on.

That is a very fine line that isnt so easy to balance on.

I agree it isn’t easy to balance but it’s the path we have to take. There is no guarantee of an effective solution for this via vaccine and shutting the economy down every time there’s a big surge would have devastating impacts that we can’t foresee, especially since this is going to be something we deal with every year like the flu. Shutting things down should only be a last resort in the event hospitals everywhere within a state are in serious danger of being overrun and it should be done at a state not a national level.

I agree it isn’t easy to balance but it’s the path we have to take. There is no guarantee of an effective solution for this via vaccine and shutting the economy down every time there’s a big surge would have devastating impacts that we can’t foresee, especially since this is going to be something we deal with every year like the flu. Shutting things down should only be a last resort in the event hospitals everywhere within a state are in serious danger of being overrun and it should be done at a state not a national level.
Waiting until the hospitals are nearly overloaded to shut everything down is way too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back