• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
228 now here. No signs of slowing. That’s about 30 new today alone.

Sounds like some high level people are starting to quarantine as they've come into contact with some virus people.

Your food shortage is coming very soon. Get ready for a rough 2-3 weeks. Tyson Wilkesboro is one of the larger processing plants in the nation. A private firm finished off testing everyone and when they reopen the doors Tuesday not many will be coming back im afraid.

Of 5 family members that work there 4 of the 5 test pos but 5 of 5 qualified to not return to work. 3 separate households all exposed. Many of their near co-worker friends are positive or qualified for 90% disability pay to not return too.

Your food shortage is coming very soon. Get ready for a rough 2-3 weeks. Tyson Wilkesboro is one of the larger processing plants in the nation. A private firm finished off testing everyone and when they reopen the doors Tuesday not many will be coming back im afraid.
Food shortage implies people standing in lines all over the place st grocery stores in hopes that they get a can of beans. I doubt we're going to see a lot of that.

Let’s not be hyperbolic. A major food shortage is unlikely. Sure certain meats may be in short supply, but there’s plenty of other food supply.

Shortage as in restaurants and businesses no longer having beef/chicken etc. it’s still gonna cause things like tuna/ramen to fly off the shelves when consumers look elsewhere.

I have feeling small businesses are gonna shut down this month with whatever chicken/beef price is on the market is going to be unprofitable.

Interesting article that suggests that going to the grocery store is not where many new infections are originating from:

“But where are people contracting the infection in the community? I regularly hear people worrying about grocery stores, bike rides, inconsiderate runners who are not wearing masks.... are these places of concern? Well, not really. Let me explain.”

“In order to get infected you need to get exposed to an infectious dose of the virus;”

“outbreaks spread from shopping appear to be responsible for a small percentage of traced infections.”

Regarding the chance of getting infected: “The principle is viral exposure over an extended period of time.”

“Even if they were 50 feet away (choir or call center), even a low dose of the virus in the air reaching them, over a sustained period, was enough to cause infection and in some cases, death.”

“Social distancing rules are really to protect you with brief exposures or outdoor exposures.”

“Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low.”

However, unfortunately for grocery store workers, the same cannot be said about low risk since they’re there for hours.

Unfortunately, this means that social distancing only 6 feet would not do all that much good in restaurants.

Any comments about this article? Did y’all already assume these things?

Last edited:
I expect shrimp and brisket prices too go up once these places can’t get affordable beef/chicken. Big $$ places like Mc Donald’s or Burger King are not gonna raise prices they will simply not offer any and say sorry out of stock. Sort of like how Wendy’s is doing.

Interesting article that suggests that going to the grocery store is not where many new infections are originating from:

“But where are people contracting the infection in the community? I regularly hear people worrying about grocery stores, bike rides, inconsiderate runners who are not wearing masks.... are these places of concern? Well, not really. Let me explain.”

“In order to get infected you need to get exposed to an infectious dose of the virus;”

“outbreaks spread from shopping appear to be responsible for a small percentage of traced infections.”

Regarding the chance of getting infected: “The principle is viral exposure over an extended period of time.”

“Even if they were 50 feet away (choir or call center), even a low dose of the virus in the air reaching them, over a sustained period, was enough to cause infection and in some cases, death.”

“Social distancing rules are really to protect you with brief exposures or outdoor exposures.”

“Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low.”

However, unfortunately for grocery store workers, the same cannot be said about low risk since they’re there for hours.

Larry,
I assume very little since there is so little real (without a spin) info out there ... I do assume the thing is dangerous ... I do assume it can be fatal ... I do assume that no one has done a totally apolitical /non-agenda driven linear programming on opening up ... I do know that I'm staying as safe as practicality will allow ...
Phil

Unfortunately, this means that social distancing only 6 feet would not do all that much good in restaurants.

Regarding this article, I may have to rethink my grocery store shopping strategy. I had previously assumed the smartest way is to buy more things at each trip and thus limit the number of trips. However, that means more exposure per trip. If this article is on the right path, it would be better to go for, say, fifteen different 10 minute trips vs, say, two hour long trips.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Let’s not be hyperbolic. A major food shortage is unlikely. Sure certain meats may be in short supply, but there’s plenty of other food supply.

Exactly.

We’re talking pork and specific cuts of meat.

Might be news to some: fresh meat isn’t the only type of food! Protein comes from many other sources and is healthier. You shouldn’t consume too much red meat anyway, anything more than once weekly isn’t the best for you.

Nothing to see here...

Regarding this article, I may have to rethink my grocery store shopping strategy. I had previously assumed the smartest way is to buy more things at each trip and thus limit the number of trips. However, that means more exposure per trip. If this article is on the right path, it would be better to go for, say, fifteen different 10 minute trips vs, say, two hour long trips.

Opinions?

In my opinion quick in and out for essentials is the better option. And if it’s crowded, turn around. I’ve never spent 2 hours in a grocery store, but then again I’m in a 2 person household.

I agree with most in the article, virus is likely to be caught when you’re close to someone for an extended period of time. It’s all about proximity. Meaning even a few minutes. That’s why a lot of these positive cases are coming from essential workers...they’re still standing/sitting/working beside the same people every day.

As long as you maintain distance and don’t stand close to someone, you’re fine.

I got it at work because we have about 4-5 employees sharing a 100sqft area behind a counter. It was simply too easy for the virus to jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back